'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

Below Walgreens? Wow. I don't know about nationally, but their reputation plummeted here in New England. They're probably the most hated business locally rigjt now.

Isn't it fascinating? And yet really depressing and scary? And sad. Here's the graph version of that data;

78d6c740-bb3a-4def-88d1-235c8b40ea65-jpeg.686217

A dead cat bounce would be very welcome. But look at the dates this survey was done; last spring. Burbank still had some surprises up its sleeve for '22 after this poll was conducted. :(

Mickeblu, you find that to be funny? Of course you do.

I thought it was funny too. But then I generally don't take myself seriously and am often the first one to laugh at myself. Usually it involves the kitchen and another failed recipe, but anything is possible really. 🤣

Figgy1

Isn't it fascinating? And yet really depressing and scary? And sad. Here's the graph version of that data;

78d6c740-bb3a-4def-88d1-235c8b40ea65-jpeg.686217

A dead cat bounce would be very welcome. But look at the dates this survey was done; last spring. Burbank still had some surprises up its sleeve for '22 after this poll was conducted.

I thought it was funny too. But then I generally don't take myself seriously and am often the first one to laugh at myself. Usually it involves the kitchen and another failed recipe, but anything is possible really. 🤣
Not the way I do it but interesting none the less

brideck

This is nothing new. On the contrary, it's a very well-established characterisation of traditional family dynamics. See The Flintstones, The Simpsons, etc.

ETA: I think the way you're describing the father's role in these scenarios is hyperbolic. It isn't as negative as you suggest.

The Berenstain Bears (1962) is the one that came to mind for me with a bumbling father figure. My spouse's father refused to read those books when they were a kid because of how dumb the dad seemed.

And yes... neither Searcher nor Jaeger are particularly bumbling in Strange World. They're both actually really capable at what they do, just lacking in awareness of their respective sons' thoughts and feelings.

TP2000

Not the way I do it but interesting none the less

Oh, I've watched that guy before! He's really good. I just can't imagine cooking without YouTube now, whether its modern guys like this or watching old WGBH episodes of Julia Child in black and white, I just have to have a video now. I'm adding this to my watch list tonight, just for the fun of it. What an impressive ingredient list he has!

How did we ever do it with propped open cookbooks covered in flour and those little 3x5 recipe cards??? 🤣

I hope you have a wonderful Christmastime with your family my dear lady! Stay warm and safe at home with family, which is the gift of streaming even if it's losing money for the Sharp Pencil Boys! I will be doing much the same, and staying away from those convertible top shops on the other side of the tracks. 🎅🎄🤶

brideck

... unless the themes from the last few movies start being forced down our throats on rides/ shows too.

Ignoring the rest... this is the kind of sentiment that is baffling to me. Including gay characters does not make a "theme" in either case.

In Lightyear, the point is that you shouldn't make work your life, or you might just miss out on life. In Strange World, it's that you should allow your children the space to be themselves and/or that we need to find a way to live in harmony with the planet (depending on which you think the focus of the story was).

The problem, such as it exists, is that those messages are pretty specifically for adults. The simple, moralistic fairy tale stuff of old largely isn't there... or at least, isn't the only thing there anymore.

mickEblu

Wow Berenstain Bears. What a blast from the past. Does anyone remember the Little Critter books that Carls Jr used to include in their kids meals in the 80’s?
D594CBD4-231F-4D10-8351-31A5D2F0599B.jpeg

mickEblu

Ignoring the rest... this is the kind of sentiment that is baffling to me. Including gay characters does not make a "theme" in either case.

In Lightyear, the point is that you shouldn't make work your life, or you might just miss out on life. In Strange World, it's that you should allow your children the space to be themselves and/or that we need to find a way to live in harmony with the planet (depending on which you think the focus of the story was).

The problem, such as it exists, is that those messages are pretty specifically for adults. The simple, moralistic fairy tale stuff of old largely isn't there... or at least, isn't the only thing there anymore.

Ok was theme the wrong word? I’m pretty sure you understand what I was saying though.

TP2000

That's a really nice way to say it, thank you!

There's plenty of movie studios that can do modern adult messages, and even attempt to make them for children.

I don't think Disney should attempt that. The recent box office stats clearly show it isn't working for them. And now there's evidence that it is hurting the Disney brand overall in America's cultural consciousness. That's a real problem for a company that built itself and its sterling reputation on this promise to parents...

WDP_AnnualReport_1965_Page_38_small (2).jpg

Figgy1

Oh, I've watched that guy before! He's really good. I just can't imagine cooking without YouTube now, whether its modern guys like this or watching old WGBH episodes of Julia Child in black and white, I just have to have a video now. I'm adding this to my watch list tonight, just for the fun of it. What an impressive ingredient list he has!

How did we ever do it with propped open cookbooks covered in flour and those little 3x5 recipe cards??? 🤣

I hope you have a wonderful Christmastime with your family my dear lady! Stay warm and safe at home with family, which is the gift of streaming even if it's losing money for the Sharp Pencil Boys! I will be doing much the same, and staying away from those convertible top shops on the other side of the tracks. 🎅🎄🤶
Thank you! You too!
In my case it was survival as the parental units were the worst cooks ever as in they messed up even hamburger helper:eek:

BuddyThomas

That's a really nice way to say it, thank you!

There's plenty of movie studios that can do modern adult messages, and even attempt to make them for children.

I don't think Disney should attempt that. The recent box office stats clearly show it isn't working for them. And now there's evidence that it is hurting the Disney brand overall in America's cultural consciousness. That's a real problem for a company that built itself and its sterling reputation on this sentiment...

View attachment 686459
To be clear, here we have a self proclaimed gay man advocating for no gay content of any kind in DIsney films. I cannot express how sad this is.

LittleBuford

I don't, actually. Are you just saying that you don't want gay characters in the parks? If so... just, uh, don't go to the attractions that feature them? Much like you already don't see those movies...
The Disney theme parks are among the campest places on earth. Princesses, parades, "magic", and a bunch of very obviously queer CMs. I have no idea how some of the people posting here can be so blind to the gayness that already surrounds them at WDW.

brideck

I don't think Disney should attempt that. The recent box office stats clearly show it isn't working for them. And now there's evidence that it is hurting the Disney brand overall in America's cultural consciousness. That's a real problem for a company that built itself and its sterling reputation on this promise to parents...

Aye, and that's the rub. It really pains me to think that the American (worldwide?) public won't let Disney break out of its childish box even a little without punishing them for it. I have really enjoyed the vast majority of Disney (and Pixar's) recent animated output, but I also like more complicated fare than most. [Note that I am not saying in any way that something like Lightyear or Strange World is actually complicated, just that it's not as simple as the public's expectations.] The trick, if they want to keep on the current course, is managing to do both in the same story, and the recent movies are lacking much of a kid-facing hook to engage that demographic. I think Sox could/should have been that in Lightyear, but Strange World doesn't really have it at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom