'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Heppenheimer

Most of the direct-to-D+ movies and series get poor ratings. Even when based on new IP.

Just like most of Disney Studios' movies released to theaters before streaming came along.

Live action is not Disney Studios bag (with the exception of a minority of properties... most of them remakes/reboots/sequels).
I think I remember reading that Disney used most of its live action films back in the day as quick sources of cash to fund other projects. We mostly remember the prestige projects that received bigger budgets (Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues, Mary Poppins), but the majority of them were cheaply made with the same rotating cast of actors. A few became lasting classics (The Parent Trap, The Absent-Minded Professor, The Love Bug), most came and went with little lasting impact, but at least made a decent amount of money (The Monkey's Uncle, That Darn Cat, Gus, etc.).

BuddyThomas

He’s referring to the lesbian relationship in Lightyear, which is indeed portrayed but really has no bearing on the storyline. However, as with Strange World, we’re supposed to believe that a brief representation of queerness defines an entire film and constitutes an “agenda” that straight people can’t handle.
It sounded like they were saying that the character got pregnant due to a lesbian kiss. Annnnnnnnyway………

Figgy1

1671500526345.png

TP2000

Conversation from another thread about Disney's plummeting brand reputation from the general public. Reposting here as the failure and controversy of this film is just another point of erosion of this one trusted and beloved family entertainment brand:

Thank you for posting this shocking and depressing information! It's important to acknowledge, even though it's a depressing thing to discuss right at Christmas. But it's real and it's happening. And it's very, very sad. :(

Truly a shame to see The Walt Disney Company now ranked below 64 other companies including Kohls, Walgreens, Lowe's, Target, Netflix, etc. Shocking actually.

Shocking is an understatement.

But as another poster put it so eloquently and succinctly, "Disney doesn't care about Midwest moms". Indeed - how's that working out for you, Disney?

I'd love to see a course correction. The free market has spoken here, and I still like to think that private companies are run by Capitalists even in the 2020's. But when you watch some of those Zoom call statements and leadership strategies that several Burbank execs accidentally let escape into the public a year or so ago, I have to wonder if the Burbank culture is too entrenched to course correct quickly?

I hope so, for the sake of Disney as a company and American icon. I just really want there to be a happy ending here.

LittleBuford

I did not say the storyline was progressive in Lightyear, I said it had 'progressive flair'. Which I think is a fitting description of what it is- a mostly standard and unremarkable film that has some stuff that would be considered progressive.
Had it been a good film, I think it would have done well, regardless of the “progressive flair”. But it wasn’t a good film, and it did about as well as it deserved.

BuddyThomas

Thank you for posting this shocking and depressing information! It's important to acknowledge, even though it's a depressing thing to discuss right at Christmas. But it's real and it's happening. And it's very, very sad. :(

Shocking is an understatement.

I'd love to see a course correction. The free market has spoken here, and I still like to think that private companies are run by Capitalists even in the 2020's. But when you watch some of those Zoom call statements and leadership strategies that several Burbank execs accidentally let escape into the public a year or so ago, I have to wonder if the Burbank culture is too entrenched to course correct quickly?

I hope so, for the sake of Disney as a company and American icon. I just really want there to be a happy ending here.
What is your desired “course correction”?

Heppenheimer

Conversation from another thread about Disney's plummeting brand reputation from the general public. Reposting here as the failure and controversy of this film is just another point of erosion of this one trusted and beloved family entertainment brand:

More information from the 2022 Axios/Harris poll, a widely recognized corporate brand poll that Disney has touted in the past, in 2019, Disney was #5, rated "Excellent" as it had been for years.

Fast forward just three years later and the company has shockingly dropped from #5 "Excellent" to #65 "Good". A nearly 100 year old brand took just three years of terrible cultural and controversial decisions to fundamentally change the public's perception and reputation of its brand.

And the low reputation is on points that used to be heart and soul of the brand: Trust. Ethics. Citizenship. Culture.

We are talking about the Walt Disney Company here, not Best Buy (which BTW now rates 14 places higher than Disney).

A brand and the trust of the public is an exceptionally fragile thing and the saying usually goes "when you're in a hole, stop digging", but Disney seems to be bringing in the steam shovels. Oh, and you know who won't be getting fired for the destruction of one of the world's most beloved brands? The DEI staff that has ruled the company for the past three years.

Truly a shame to see The Walt Disney Company now ranked below 64 other companies including Kohls, Walgreens, Lowe's, Target, Netflix, etc. Shocking actually.

Will be interesting to see in the 2023 poll with the continued controversies this year if the brand will get an expected "dead cat bounce" after a huge fall like this or the decline will solidify or fall even further (if that is even possible).

But as another poster put it so eloquently and succinctly, "Disney doesn't care about Midwest moms". Indeed - how's that working out for you, Disney?
Below Walgreens? Wow. I don't know about nationally, but their reputation plummeted here in New England. They're probably the most hated business locally rigjt now.

mickEblu

He’s referring to the lesbian relationship in Lightyear, which is indeed portrayed but really has no bearing on the storyline. However, as with Strange World, we’re supposed to believe that a brief representation of queerness defines an entire film and constitutes an “agenda” that straight people can’t handle.

I can handle it. Just don’t want it in kids movies. I changed my sons profile to “Child” on D+ so it doesn’t show up there next week as he wanted to see it because I guess the marketing worked on him between the YouTube ads and the huge billboard near his school. I’ve already stopped buying any of the new movies through Disney Movie Club. If they continue on this path and if Wish is anything but a good ol fashioned fairy tale my next step is to cancel Disney +. So that’s a good chunk of change and I don’t imagine I’m the only one. I’ll always have my library of classic Disney films.

The last step would be stop going to the parks which I don’t see myself doing unless the themes from the last few movies start being forced down our throats on rides/ shows too.

TP2000

What is your desired “course correction”?

Stuff like Frozen. Or Mary Poppins. Or Cars. Or Toy Story.

A movie parents of small children can automatically take the family to and intrinsically trust, without having to check their Facebook groups to see if it's appropriate for their children. And then possibly skip it.

BuddyThomas

I can handle it. Just don’t want it in kids movies. I changed my sons profile to “Child” on D+ so it doesn’t show up there next week as he wanted to see it because I guess the marketing worked on him between the YouTube ads and the huge billboard near his school. I’ve already stopped buying any of the new movies through Disney Movie Club. If they continue on this path and if Wish is anything but a good ol fashioned fairy tale my next step is to cancel Disney +. So that’s a good chunk of change and I don’t imagine I’m the only one.

The last step would be stop going to the parks which I don’t see myself doing unless the themes from the last few movies start being forced down our throats on rides/ shows too.
So, posts like this are allowed on here. Openly homophobic posts. Pathetic.

TwilightZone

BTW see it/don't see it I don't care but we're(my family) all going to see it on Disney+ as we're not currently going to theaters. It's on our Christmas vacation watch list
I'm gonna watch it and the new diary of a wimpy kid movie. One for one place, one for another.

Not planning to see it for christmas though. Something about it doesn't scream "christmas" to me. Maybe its the lack of snow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom