'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

I would say this undermines your argument that socially conservative American sensibilities are a key factor behind the film's failure. It hasn't done well in any market, liberal or otherwise.

I think what it shows is that parents of small children are mostly alike, whether they are deplorables living their wretched lives in the US Midwest, or they're living in Australia or Japan or India or Sweden.

This family movie bombed with... families. Globally.

BuddyThomas

I think what it shows is that parents of small children are mostly alike, whether they are deplorables living their wretched lives in the US Midwest, or they're living in Australia or Japan or India or Sweden.

You are making a lot of big generalizations tonight, even for you.

LittleBuford

I think what it shows is that parents of small children are mostly alike, whether they are undesirables living their wretched lives in the Midwest, or they're living in Australia or Japan or India or Sweden.

I suppose we're both free to draw our own conclusions from the data. To me at least, the notion that parents the world over are on high alert over a film that barely anyone has heard of seems far-fetched to the point of absurdity.

TP2000

I know since you've become interested in Box Office in the last month or so that you like The Numbers site. But they are often behind by at least a few days when it comes to tallies.

Box Office Mojo is what most of the industry uses as its most up-to-date, for example it shows Strange World at $60.6M:

I love that The Numbers site because it allows you to compare/contrast various movies so easily. And breaks down individual countries box office so easily. It's fun!

Strange World had a budget claimed to be anywhere between $130 to $180 Million. If you split the difference and also say that it only had to make twice its budget to break even (being very conservative since the marketing was so weak), That would put Strange World's breakeven point at $300 Million.

At a roughly $60 Million take nearing the end of its theatrical run and relevance, it just cost Burbank about $225 Million. That's gonna leave a mark on the fiscal year. :oops:

BuddyThomas

I love that The Numbers site because it allows you to compare/contrast various movies so easily. And breaks down individual countries box office so easily. It's fun!

Strange World had a budget claimed to be anywhere between $130 to $180 Million. If you split the difference and also say that it only had to make twice its budget to break even (being very conservative since the marketing was so weak), That would put Strange World's breakeven point at $300 Million.

At a roughly $60 Million take nearing the end of its theatrical run and relevance, it just cost Burbank about $225 Million. That's gonna leave a mark on the fiscal year. :oops:
Why is a supposed gay man obsessed with trashing movies with gay characters in them? Movies that you have made a point of stating that you have not seen and will not see. I do not understand. You even made a point of going to the pride thread to trash Bros, which you said you have not seen and will not see. The only other gay person I can think of who would act this way is Milo Yiannopoulos, but as far as I know, he is not a Disney fan. Would you like to tell us why, as a gay man, you are so gleeful about films with gay characters in them failing?

TP2000

I suppose we're both free to draw our own conclusions from the data. To me at least, the notion that parents the world over are on high alert over a film that barely anyone has heard of seems far-fetched to the point of absurdity.

I think parents are on an elevated alert for Disney branded content now, worldwide. Strange World probably wasn't helped by being a movie that was mediocre at best artistically, but parents are no longer automatically willing to allow Disney/Pixar branded "family" content into their entertainment budgets.

Then there's the fact the marketing for Strange World was weak at best, and non-existent for many. Why was that?

Burbank just flushed at least a couple hundred million down the tubes on Strange World. Why? o_O

BuddyThomas

I think parents are on an elevated alert for Disney branded content now, worldwide. Strange World probably wasn't helped by being a movie that was mediocre at best artistically, but parents are no longer automatically willing to allow Disney/Pixar branded "family" content into their entertainment budgets.

Then there's the fact the marketing for Strange World was weak at best, and non-existent for many. Why was that?

Burbank just flushed at least a couple hundred million down the tubes on Strange World. Why? o_O
Why are you claiming that it is “mediocre at best” if you have not even seen it?

TP2000

Why is a supposed gay man obsessed with trashing movies with gay characters in them? Movies that you have made a point of stating that you have not seen and will not see. I do not understand.

Because the fact that I'm a practicing homosexual is merely one facet of my humanity. It does not define me, and I would never let it. It's merely one facet of a beautiful gem! :cool:

You even made a point of going to the pride thread to trash Bros, which you said you have not seen and will not see. The only other gay person I can think of who would act this way is Milo Yiannopoulos, but as far as I know, he is not a Disney fan. Would you like to tell us why, as a gay man, you are so gleeful about films with gay characters in them failing?

I liken it to Motown. The artists at Motown, particularly the ladies, were some of the most talented artists this great nation has ever produced. And probably ever will produce. In the 1960's they helped change American society and the world during a tumultuous time. But they did it with class and grace; they never got overtly political or offensive.

When the first big gay romcom came along, I would have loved it to be stylish and classy. Bros was crass and obscene. And then the stars of Bros went on Twitter rampages calling anyone who doesn't spend money on the movie a bigot and a bad person. That was not a good look, and showed no class! I was embarrassed for them.

So I chuckled when it all backfired, and the vast majority of even 2SLGBTQQIA+ stayed away from that movie.

Go in with class and style and some smarts, and you can change the world and make new friends along the way!

TP2000

Why are you claiming that it is “mediocre at best” if you have not even seen it?

AimForMediocrity!.jpg

BuddyThomas

Because the fact that I'm a practicing homosexual is merely one facet of my humanity. It does not define me, and I would never let it. It's merely one facet of a beautiful gem! :cool:

I liken it to Motown. The artists at Motown, particularly the ladies, were some of the most talented artists this great nation has ever produced. And probably ever will produce. In the 1960's they helped change American society and the world during a tumultuous time. But they did it with class and grace; they never got overtly political or offensive.

When the first big gay romcom came along, I would have loved it to be stylish and classy. Bros was crass and obscene. And then the stars of Bros went on Twitter rampages calling anyone who doesn't spend money on the movie a bigot and bad person. That was not a good look, and showed no class! I was embarrassed for them.

So I chuckled when it all backfired, and the vast majority of even 2SLGBTQQIA+ stayed away from that movie.

Go in with class and style and some smarts, and you can change the world and make new friends along the way!
Again, if you are to be believed, you did not see Bros, so you are in absolutely no position to say anything about its content. That said, it is purposefully over the top, just like Bridesmaids, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

BuddyThomas

View attachment 686431
Oh look, you just posted the tomatoes, which are RIPE, and you think this helps your case. Hey, do us all a favor and stop gloating about the failure of a fun movie that you have not seen.

TP2000

That said, it is purposefully over the top, just like Bridesmaids, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The people who lost tens of millions of dollars on that movie would disagree with you.

Hollywood is a business that requires profit to continue, it's not a social service agency.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom