'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

Calm down. It was a flop. Does that make you happy?

Because of how offensive and wildly pompous Mr. Eichner was to pretty much the entire country, it actually does. :)

As for Strange World flopping? No, that doesn't make me happy. Because it's negatively impacting a company and studio and American icon that I care about. The failure of Strange World, and the overall direction that Pixar and Disney Animation are going in now, is very concerning to me. It's not a happy time in Burbank. :(

Artistically, or financially...

LookOutBelow!.jpg

BuddyThomas

Because of how offensive and wildly pompous Mr. Eichner was to pretty much the entire country, it actually does. :)

As for Strange World flopping? No, that doesn't make me happy. Because it's negatively impacting a company and studio and American icon that I care about. The failure of Strange World, and the overall direction that Pixar and Disney Animation are going in now, is very concerning to me. It's not a happy time in Burbank. :(
For your information, Mr. Eichner’s entire brand is offensive and pompous. Have you ever seen an episode of Billy on the Street? It is hysterical. I’m sorry that “Burbank” putting gay characters in films is so offensive to a supposed gay person. Hopefully they never do it again so you can live the rest of your life never seeing a gay character on the screen.

TP2000

For your information, Mr. Eichner’s entire brand is offensive and pompous. Have you ever seen an episode of Billy on the Street? It is hysterical.

Apparently that brand didn't translate well to a romcom. The star and writer going on Twitter rampages also didn't help. If he ever gets a chance to make another movie (doubtful), I'm sure he has learned his lesson now, so at least there's that.

I’m sorry that “Burbank” putting gay characters in films is so offensive to a supposed gay person. Hopefully they never do it again so you can live the rest of your life never seeing a gay character on the screen.

As per usual, you've failed to make the distinction between an animated film aimed at children under age 12, and a film aimed at adults or older teens. HUGE difference there, that most parents are fully aware of.

Lumping all entertainment of all film ratings and subject matter into one giant basket and then labeling anyone who dislikes that entire basket as a "bigot" is not helpful. Nor is it fair to people.

It's also not financially feasible, as we've now seen several times with Disney/Pixar films aimed at children. It's not sustainable and it's a business practice that must change ASAP if the Walt Disney Company is to remain profitable.

BuddyThomas

Apparently that brand didn't translate well to a romcom. The star and writer going on Twitter rampages also didn't help. If he ever gets a chance to make another movie (doubtful), I'm sure he has learned his lesson now, so at least there's that.

As per usual, you've failed to make the distinction between an animated film aimed at children under age 12, and a film aimed at adults or older teens. HUGE difference there, that most parents are fully aware of.

Lumping all entertainment of all film ratings and subject matter into one giant basket and then labeling anyone who dislikes that entire basket as a "bigot" is not helpful. Nor is it fair to people.

It's also not financially feasible, as we've now seen several times with Disney/Pixar films aimed at children. It's not sustainable and it's a business practice that must change ASAP if the Walt Disney Company is to remain profitable.
As I have stated approximately ten billion times, the innocent gay crush in Strange World comprises less than five minutes of screen time in total. It is no big deal at all. There is absolutely no reason why a gay teen character should not be included in a movie, when gay teens exist in the world, and there is absolutely no reason why a supposed gay man should be objecting to less than five minutes of screen time in a movie he has not seen.

TP2000

As I have stated approximately ten billion times, the innocent gay crush in Strange World comprises less than five minutes of screen time in total. It is no big deal at all. There is absolutely no reason why a gay teen character should not be included in a movie, when gay teens exist in the world, and there is absolutely no reason why a supposed gay man should be objecting to less than five minutes of screen time in a movie he has not seen.

Here's the extremely valid reason, that is indisputable as a concern for Burbank leadership right now...

ForeignersArePhobes.jpg

LookOutBelow!.jpg

Those are simply the facts. Hard, cold, calculating facts that don't care one bit about feelings or artistic merit. :oops:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I love that The Numbers site because it allows you to compare/contrast various movies so easily. And breaks down individual countries box office so easily. It's fun!

Strange World had a budget claimed to be anywhere between $130 to $180 Million. If you split the difference and also say that it only had to make twice its budget to break even (being very conservative since the marketing was so weak), That would put Strange World's breakeven point at $300 Million.

At a roughly $60 Million take nearing the end of its theatrical run and relevance, it just cost Burbank about $225 Million. That's gonna leave a mark on the fiscal year. :oops:
I understand you like The Numbers site. I'm just stating that their tallies are not always accurate as they take longer to update.

So for more up-to-date results use Box Office Mojo. And then you are speak all day long about the profits and losses of a particular movie with accurate tallies.

SuddenStorm

I was thinking about this. Lightyear took a beloved character, reimagined it and added a bit of progressive 'flair', and it bombed.
Disney just tried again with an original story- so no built in audience- added some progressive flair and it bombed.

Up next is The Little Mermaid, which is now a remake of a beloved film but with progressive flair. I'm curious to see how it does, since between these three films you have an adaptation of an IP that's progressive, an original story that's progressive, and a remake that's progressive. So far they've all bombed.

BuddyThomas

Here's the extremely valid reason, that is indisputable as a concern for Burbank leadership right now...

View attachment 686438

View attachment 686439

Those are simply the facts. Hard, cold, calculating facts that don't care one bit about feelings or artistic merit. :oops:
Do you like any movies or tv shows with gay characters in them? Or do you just want to post charts over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

BuddyThomas

I was thinking about this. Lightyear took a beloved character, reimagined it and added a bit of progressive 'flair', and it bombed.
Disney just tried again with an original story- so no built in audience- added some progressive flair and it bombed.

Up next is The Little Mermaid, which is now a remake of a beloved film but with progressive flair. I'm curious to see how it does, since between these three films you have an adaptation of an IP that's progressive, an original story that's progressive, and a remake that's progressive. So far they've all bombed.
Mermaid has a “progressive flair” because it has a black actress in the title role?????????? That thread was locked due to all the bigots on here, by the way.

TP2000

Agreed. It's very concerning and quite sad.

I'm actually more concerned about Wish than I am about The Little Mermaid remake. Wish was originally pitched to the fans as a love letter of sorts from Disney for it's 100th Anniversary. If it follows the trendy HR mandates again and has a Lesbian princess, or a gay pivot of any kind really, it's going to bomb. Again.

And as the 100th Anniversary animated film, that's going to be a tough thing to have happen to Disney and its legacy. Just sort of sad, really.

The actress who voices as the star of Wish is very vocal on Social Media about pushing gay boundaries in film and media and culture, so that's not a good sign. But money talks, and there's still time before Wish is released, so perhaps the progressive elements of the film will be removed and it will go a traditional Disney route. That might be the silver lining for Strange World's epic failure?

She doesn't have to have a prince, her pet goat could work instead. But I do hope they tread lightly with Wish. 🧐

BuddyThomas

I'm actually more concerned about Wish than I am about The Little Mermaid remake. Wish was originally pitched to the fans as a love letter of sorts from Disney for it's 100th Anniversary. If it follows the trendy HR mandates again and has a Lesbian princess, or a gay pivot of any kind really, it's going to bomb. Again.

And as the 100th Anniversary animated film, that's going to be a tough thing to have happen to Disney and its legacy. Just sort of sad, really.

The actress who voices as the star of Wish is very vocal on Social Media about pushing gay boundaries in film and media and culture, so that's not a good sign. But money talks, and there's still time before Wish is released, so perhaps the progressive elements of the film will be removed and it will go a traditional Disney route. That might be the silver lining for Strange World's epic failure?

She doesn't have to have a prince, her pet goat could work instead. But I do hope they tread lightly with Wish. 🧐
This post is just sad. A gay man lamenting the fact that gay characters are included in a movie.

SuddenStorm

I would agree with this- Disney has always been known for their animation first and foremost, except for the occasional live action hit.
The actress who voices as the star of Wish is very vocal on Social Media about pushing gay boundaries in film and media and culture, so that's not a good sign.

It's always reassuring when this is what the creatives are discussing, and not the quality or artistic merit of what they're creating.

SuddenStorm

Mermaid has a “progressive flair” because it has a black actress in the title role?????????? That thread was locked due to all the bigots on here, by the way.

At a time when DEI is front and center of Disney's marketing, and there's more focus on ethnicity than in the 2010's- reimagining a beloved princess to be a different race would be considered progressive, yes. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it just is- and pretending the casting is something different is foolish.

That said, I hope she absolutely nails it as Ariel and that the live action remake is more like the Jungle Book, and less like The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. From what I've seen the actress looks to be delightful and talented. I would much prefer that she had been given the opportunity to be an entirely original Disney Princess in a new story with new music, instead of being relegated to remaking a film that doesn't need a remake.

TP2000

Do you like any movies or tv shows with gay characters in them? Or do you just want to post charts over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Off the top of my head...
Will & Grace circa 1998-2003 (before they got mean and snotty in their '17 season).
Schitt's Creek
, which I will have you know I was watching immediately from the first episode on Pop before all the cool kids finally caught on by Season 2. Anything with Catherine O'Hara is mandatory viewing in my home, and has been since SCTV in the early 80's.
Dumpster Queens on YouTube. I also watched Go-Go Boy Interrupted on YouTube back in about 2019.
I do not watch Drag Race, but I absolutely LOVED the Drag Race recaps done by Damiana Garcia and Tanya Roberts as "RuPals". Much funnier than the actual Drag Race show.
I also could watch Drew Droege do his Chloe Sevigny impersonations for hours! I die. 🤣
I have been a Coco Peru fan for decades, and have seen her on stage several times. That YouTube of her looking for the Wonder Woman Crock Pot at various San Fernando Valley WalMarts is magically delicious!
The Match Game takeoff done in an LA gay bar that has a name I can't say here was hysterical in person!

Much of that stuff above is rated at least PG-13, if not R. If not R+ or outright obscene. But in the company of adults in the right environment, it's truly fabulous.

Lesley Gore. She's always been one of my favorites. I saw her at the Palm Springs Follies one year. Shameful that she was taken so young, and never was recognized by the awful people who run the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. 🤬

SuddenStorm

Schitt's Creek, which I will have you know I was watching immediately from the first episode on Pop before all the cool kids finally caught on by Season 2. Anything with Catherine O'Hara is mandatory viewing in my home, and has been since SCTV in the early 80's.

This show is an absolute treasure, and has been enjoyed by everyone I know who's seen it. It might be time I rewatched it.

mickEblu

A Lesbian princess in an animated movie celebrating the 100th anniversary? I can’t imagine they would think that’s a good idea even before the Strange World and Lightyear results. But wouldn’t be the the first time they surprised me the last few years. How much do you think this is the “inclusion committee” and how much the actual artists pushing for this stuff? I can’t imagine the financial people or execs want any of this unless they had really bad data and/ or foresight. They probably just didn’t have the guts to say “No.”

TP2000

This show is an absolute treasure, and has been enjoyed by everyone I know who's seen it. It might be time I rewatched it.

I remember trying to tell people about it after its second or third episode, and the blank looks I got from friends and family. Fast forward three years and they were all pretending they were experts at it. I smiled back politely. 😬

Again, for decades now if it's got Catherine O'Hara in it, it's mandatory viewing the second it becomes available.

BuddyThomas

Off the top of my head...
Will & Grace circa 1998-2003 (before they got mean and snotty in their '17 season).
Schitt's Creek
, which I will have you know I was watching immediately from the first episode on Pop before all the cool kids finally caught on by Season 2. Anything with Catherine O'Hara is mandatory viewing in my home, and has been since SCTV in the early 80's.
Dumpster Queens on YouTube. I also watched Go-Go Boy Interrupted on YouTube back in about 2019.
I do not watch Drag Race, but I absolutely LOVED the Drag Race recaps done by Damiana Garcia and Tanya Roberts as "RuPals". Much funnier than the actual Drag Race show.
I also could watch Drew Droege do his Chloe Sevigny impersonations for hours! I die. 🤣
I have been a Coco Peru fan for decades, and have seen her on stage several times.
The Match Game takeoff done in a bar that has a name I can't say here was hysterical in person!

Much of that stuff above is rated at least PG-13, if not R. If not R+ or outright obscene. But in the company of adults in the right environment, it's truly fabulous.

Lesley Gore. She's always been one of my favorites. I saw her at the Palm Springs Follies one year. Shameful that she was taken so young, and never was recognized by the awful people who run the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. 🤬
No Queer as Folk, no The L Word, no Heartstopper, no Pose, no Special, no Love Victor, no Looking, no Tales of the City, no Boys in the Band, but yeah, you’ve got Leslie Gore. Got it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom