Stitch's Great Escape replacement?

imagineer boy

:brick: Like I said, I really wish Disney would bring AE back as something for the older crowd. Kids have the entire park to themselves so what is a ride or two for everybody else. Disney better wise up or it could lose certain crowds in the Magic Kingdom.

Oh I agree. Speaking as a teen, last time I went to WDW was the first visit since AE closed. While I enjoyed myself at the MK, the kiddie-ness got to me after a while and I felt like I needed to get home and watch a violent R rated movie. :lol: AE was the perfect cure for that, if the kiddieness got to you just hop in and scream your head off.

dxwwf3

Anyway, AE was too "sophisticated" for the MK.

I know what you're trying to say, but why do we have to have that opinion about the MK? Why do we have to look down upon the park? I sure don't feel that way about Disneyland. Nobody seems to think that the Indiana Jones Adventure is too sophisticated for Disneyland. I realize that the crowds at Disneyland are generally smarter about the parks than the WDW crowd is due to the more local nature and a stronger "ownership" feeling there, but still.

imagineer boy

I know what you're trying to say, but why do we have to have that opinion about the MK? Why do we have to look down upon the park? I sure don't feel that way about Disneyland. Nobody seems to think that the Indiana Jones Adventure is too sophisticated for Disneyland. I realize that the crowds at Disneyland are generally smarter about the parks than the WDW crowd is due to the more local nature and a stronger "ownership" feeling there, but still.

Exactly! I mean look at it, it has skeletons impaled on spikes in the queue, very dark atmosphere, screaming mummies, bugs, giant snakes, and many illusions of near death mishaps. Just about as dark as AE if you ask me. Of course IJA gets no criticism because its based off of a movie franchise!

headhoncho34

Original Poster
Exactly the point. Just as no one seems to think TOT is to sophisticated or Dinosaur or RNRC or M:S so why did they come to the conclusion of removing a great attraction such as AE well greed and wanting to ingest more money into their budget is the reason.

EPCOT Explorer

Exactly! I mean look at it, it has skeletons impaled on spikes in the queue, very dark atmosphere, screaming mummies, bugs, giant snakes, and many illusions of near death mishaps. Just about as dark as AE if you ask me. Of course IJA gets no criticism because its based off of a movie franchise!

Huh! Never thought of that...Well put.

Jasonflz

Oh I agree. Speaking as a teen, last time I went to WDW was the first visit since AE closed. While I enjoyed myself at the MK, the kiddie-ness got to me after a while and I felt like I needed to get home and watch a violent R rated movie. :lol: AE was the perfect cure for that, if the kiddieness got to you just hop in and scream your head off.

Agreed. Being 15 years old it is hard to enjoy the park when there is nothing to do in Tomorrowland. I also agree on your point with Indy.

jt04

Don't forget that DLR does not have the luxury of space that WDW has.

So, IJ had to go to DL. But at WDW it would work much better at DHS or AK IMO. AE was in a class of it's own. I hated to see it close but I'm not upset it left the MK.

As for my idea for a new AE style show, I'll save that for after D23. Who knows maybe someone in Imagineering thought of something similar and it will be talked about. :shrug: If not, I'll put it in my Armchair Imagineering thread I intend to start after D23 Expo. Maybe. :D

dxwwf3

That is true, but I think its the mindset among guests. People, unfortunately, view the MK as less of a true family park as they do Disneyland. And I'm not saying that the MK is not a family park because it is, but they aren't doing as good of a job at keeping that up as they used to.

Jasonflz

So, IJ had to go to DL. But at WDW it would work much better at DHS or AK IMO. AE was in a class of it's own. I hated to see it close but I'm not upset it left the MK.

As for my idea for a new AE style show, I'll save that for after D23. Who knows maybe someone in Imagineering thought of something similar and it will be talked about. :shrug: If not, I'll put it in my Armchair Imagineering thread I intend to start after D23 Expo. Maybe. :D

So it could be possible that this new show will actually happen?

EpcotServo

I know its ridiculous but i have to wonder they worried about the intensity and scare factor of attractions such as 20K and AE but what about TOT and Dinosaur ive seen many kids walk out of both those attractions in tears makes me wonder about the shadyness of the management. Both of those are great and TOT is a classic in its own right i hope they dont think about replacing these because thats when i will finally draw the line.

Not to mention It's Tough To Be A Bug. Personally I love the show, but I would say that it has created as many tears as any other attraction in WDW. But because it is tied to a movie, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon :)

The difference is clear if you have talked to ANY number of Cast Members at any of the other parks during AE's formative years.

Because guests usually went to encounter first thing, and Magic Kingdom is the first park people usually go too, Thousands and Thousands of kids (and many older adults) would refuse to ride rides like Muppet Vision, or even Universe of Energy because they thought all the rides would be like Alien Encounter. (Dark/Scary/Loud)

Like I say, people have incredibly set expectations for Kingdom. If one thing does not live up to their idea of Magic Kingdom (Like a show you see first thing in the morning featuring a Maintenance worker who's spine is brutally crushed, and as he screams in horror as he dies, sprays blood on the families below) It does have an impact on the rest of their vacation, I'm sorry.

Jasonflz

The difference is clear if you have talked to ANY number of Cast Members at any of the other parks during AE's formative years.

Because guests usually went to encounter first thing, and Magic Kingdom is the first park people usually go too, Thousands and Thousands of kids (and many older adults) would refuse to ride rides like Muppet Vision, or even Universe of Energy because they thought all the rides would be like Alien Encounter. (Dark/Scary/Loud)

Like I say, people have incredibly set expectations for Kingdom. If one thing does not live up to their idea of Magic Kingdom (Like a show you see first thing in the morning featuring a Maintenance worker who's spine is brutally crushed, and as he screams in horror as he dies, sprays blood on the families below) It does have an impact on the rest of their vacation, I'm sorry.

:lol: Is it strange that I found that particularly funny. I do see your point though, but people SHOULD read the warning signs before watching it. Disney should have also been more strict about it.

headhoncho34

Original Poster

Good point. TOT is in DHS and Dinosaur is in AK if they were in the MK parents and other people who visit the park would be wanting them removed . Excellent point.

jt04

So it could be possible that this new show will actually happen?

No, I doubt it. I just want to see what D23 presents. Hopefully there will be enough buzz created to keep us occupied here. But if not, I'm returning to my armchair. We have to have something to discuss other than doom and gloom. :lol:

Studios Fan

Good points. Something like AE would fit perfectly in DHS.

hazelrah

MILF vs. Timekeeper?

There is great irony in this thread. On the one hand, you have people arguing that SGE never has a line, proving that the attraction is on some level a failure.

And then a lot of those same folks are saying that we should bring back Timekeeper to replace MILF.

If there was ANY attraction in recent MK memory that never had a line, it was Timekeeper. You could always walk right in to the next show, regardless of whether it was a cold week day in November or the middle of the Fourth of July. Disney would be nuts to bring it back.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the show, which I personally find vastly superior to MILF (just as I find AE to be vastly superior to SGE). It has everything to do with marketing. The average family doesn't know that Laugh Floor sucks. They only know that they like Mike and Sully. Of course they're going to give Laugh Floor a shot. Nobody knows anything about "The Timekeeper", nor did Disney bother to market it as something you needed to see.

I don't think SGE or MILF pull in very many repeat visitors. People will see them once because of the cartoon characters plastered above the door. Over time, word of mouth starts to compensate for the bad shows, and the attendance drops. It actually happened with AE too. Its popularity waned, because it developed a reputation for being too scary for the MK.

As a fan, I would be extremely happy to see both MILF and SGE replaced immediately, but these things have a certain shelf life, so we're probably stuck with them for a few more years. Now COP, that's another thing. Disney finally needs to have mercy and pull the plug on that one. It's time has long passed, and the only people getting any enjoyment out of it are the .01% of the park guests who have great nostalgia for Disney history (I would include myself in this).

dxwwf3

I can't speak for anyone else, but as much as I loved Timekeeper, I can see why that change was made. Circle Vision attractions are never going to be headliners that attract waiting times. Now I do wish that an attraction up to the same quality of Timekeeper had replaced it. I think MILF is fine, but it isn't a very ambitious attraction and it shouldn't require a lot of space. It's fine for what it is, but it isn't something that should be occuping that large show building, IMO.

I think the CoP could thrive again if a nice rehab began. You can say a lot of things about the MK, but one thing they have done a nice job of recently is updating the classic attractions. They've been MUCH more successful at that than they have been in brand new attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom