Stitch's Great Escape replacement?

Jasonflz

Thanks. I agree, it replaced a great attraction, (So did Buzz for me, I loved if you had wings), but I think the theming is good, and the technology is pretty cutting edge. My girlfriend is 30, I am 35 and my nephew is 5, we all enjoyed it, I found it funny at times, corny at others, but my nephew absolutely loved it, that's where I found the value in it, seeing his face light up was half the fun for me. I think the bottom line is that it is in the wrong place, and that is what hurt's it the most, it has nothing to do with the future or tomorrow. It's geared to the little ones (and us big ones who act like little ones) I'm impressed that you wrote a review, where is the link?

I see your point and I can understand what you are saying. I just wish it was in a space more reasonable than a whole building.

dxwwf3

AE is only a classic to internet fanbois... Not the general public... if it was, the attraction would still be around today.... Classics don't last 8 years then get pulled... They stand the test of time... AE didn't...

You're right that classics do stand the test of time. That's why people (not just me ;) ) still talk about the attraction on podcasts and message boards just as much to this day as they did when the attraction was open.

I talked with a co-worker who is a casual fan who has visited WDW a few times about the attraction yesterday. She remembered the attraction very vividly :lol:

SGE? Yeah it will be talked about for a long time after it does close as well. But those conversations will be quite different ;)

I'm not saying that AE is Titanic or Citizen Kane, but it is the This Is Spinal Tap/Rocky Horror Picture show of WDW attractions.

imagineer boy

You know, a couple years ago at school a discussion broke out between a few people (whom I wasn't friends with) and it came about that they were talking about some class trip to WDW they had taken. And low and behold, they started talking about AE and about how scared they were and how cool it was. I later spoke up and told them that it had been replaced by Stitch and they all looked genuinly disapointed. Little things such as this really reinforce the theory that AE was indeed a classic.

janoimagine

You know, a couple years ago at school a discussion broke out between a few people (whom I wasn't friends with) and it came about that they were talking about some class trip to WDW they had taken. And low and behold, they started talking about AE and about how scared they were and how cool it was. I later spoke up and told them that it had been replaced by Stitch and they all looked genuinly disapointed. Little things such as this really reinforce the theory that AE was indeed a classic.

I agree it was a classic. Maybe not on the same level of classic as Mission to Mars, but a classic none the less. :shrug:

EpcotServo

Alien Encounter is not a "Classic". Good? yes. Awesometastic? Sure. Classic? No.

It was a rebellious NON traditional cutting edge far out idea. That was it's strong suit, but ultimately it just isn't classic.

I still say Alien Encounter closing when it did was the best thing that happened too it. (Even for rides I loved like 20K and Horizons, I believe this argument to be true, even if I need to force myself to say it's to a lesser extent to deal with my greater love for them.) If it was still around today we all know the lines would be the same as SGE, Guests would still be complaining and crying about it like they were when it was around, and here at the forums we'd be talking about how they need to do something because of the outdated graphics and broken effects.

By dying an early death, THEN these attractions become immortal.

I think what I'm saying is that you have to turn, to face the change.

ch-ch-changes.

Watch out you Rock N Rollers.

dxwwf3

If it was still around today we all know the lines would be the same as SGE, Guests would still be complaining and crying about it like they were when it was around, and here at the forums we'd be talking about how they need to do something because of the outdated graphics and broken effects.

I know what you're trying to say, but refurbishments are key to longevity. IASW is still benefiting from a refurbishment that happened a few years ago. AE could have easily got a nice upgrade about the time it closed and it undoubtedly would have longer lines than SGE currently pulls.

Same thing goes for Horizons and 20K. I think Disney has certainly been known to pull the plug too early on certain IP's in the parks and just replace the whole thing with something inferior instead of freshening up what is currently there.

headhoncho34

Original Poster
I know what you're trying to say, but refurbishments are key to longevity. IASW is still benefiting from a refurbishment that happened a few years ago. AE could have easily got a nice upgrade about the time it closed and it undoubtedly would have longer lines than SGE currently pulls.

Same thing goes for Horizons and 20K. I think Disney has certainly been known to pull the plug too early on certain IP's in the parks and just replace the whole thing with something inferior instead of freshening up what is currently there.
Excellent point 20k was an excellent ride and they could have easily updated such as making the squid more realistic making the tentacles wrap around the sub your on and shake it around and make it seem as if the sub is getting crushed and windows start to crack and high powered steam starts to flow through the sub and then it jet propels back to the surface for the finale.

EpcotServo

Excellent point 20k was an excellent ride and they could have easily updated such as making the squid more realistic making the tentacles wrap around the sub your on and shake it around and make it seem as if the sub is getting crushed and windows start to crack and high powered steam starts to flow through the sub and then it jet propels back to the surface for the finale.

They tried that actually.

It was so realistic, it scared the pants off of the very people who made it. Enclosed + Real Water + Darkness + Alien Encounter quality audio system + Glass Cracking = Higher ups trying to Escape Submarine rather than trying to sign a check.

:lol:

dxwwf3

It was so realistic, it scared the pants off of the very people who made it. Enclosed + Real Water + Darkness + Alien Encounter quality audio system + Glass Cracking = Higher ups trying to Escape Submarine rather than trying to sign a check.

It's a shame when attractions have effects that are so good/realistic that the attraction is "punished" due to its effectiveness :lookaroun

headhoncho34

Original Poster
It's a shame when attractions have effects that are so good/realistic that the attraction is "punished" due to its effectiveness :lookaroun

I know its ridiculous but i have to wonder they worried about the intensity and scare factor of attractions such as 20K and AE but what about TOT and Dinosaur ive seen many kids walk out of both those attractions in tears makes me wonder about the shadyness of the management. Both of those are great and TOT is a classic in its own right i hope they dont think about replacing these because thats when i will finally draw the line.

dxwwf3

I know its ridiculous but i have to wonder they worried about the intensity and scare factor of attractions such as 20K and AE but what about TOT and Dinosaur ive seen many kids walk out of both those attractions in tears makes me wonder about the shadyness of the management. Both of those are great and TOT is a classic in its own right i hope they dont think about replacing these because thats when i will finally draw the line.

Not to mention It's Tough To Be A Bug. Personally I love the show, but I would say that it has created as many tears as any other attraction in WDW. But because it is tied to a movie, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon :)

Jasonflz

Not to mention It's Tough To Be A Bug. Personally I love the show, but I would say that it has created as many tears as any other attraction in WDW. But because it is tied to a movie, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon :)

:brick: Like I said, I really wish Disney would bring AE back as something for the older crowd. Kids have the entire park to themselves so what is a ride or two for everybody else. Disney better wise up or it could lose certain crowds in the Magic Kingdom.

vonpluto

:brick: Like I said, I really wish Disney would bring AE back as something for the older crowd. Kids have the entire park to themselves so what is a ride or two for everybody else. Disney better wise up or it could lose certain crowds in the Magic Kingdom.

Yeah, right, just like they wised up concerning clubs for the older crowd.
AE & AC, perfect together, both gone!:(

jt04

Yeah, right, just like they wised up concerning clubs for the older crowd.
AE & AC, perfect together, both gone!:(

The parking lots are still full. Weird.

Anyway, AE was too "sophisticated" for the MK. I would love to see something similar at DHS or Future World (I have the perfect idea for it).

As for the AC, the concept is going to HKDL.

The picture should be much clearer after D23. :)

Jasonflz

The parking lots are still full. Weird.

Anyway, AE was too "sophisticated" for the MK. I would love to see something similar at DHS or Future World (I have the perfect idea for it).

As for the AC, the concept is going to HKDL.

The picture should be much clearer after D23. :)

Interesting, what is it?

Do tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom