Stitch walls down

Magicot

I think the main problem some have with this stage, and it's location, are that this stage is a PERMANENT structure... the other stages were temporary structures, and were erected that way.... This one is a brick and mortar permanent building....

not exactly the same as the one in the 2002 photo..
I don't know.. It all depends on how you define the word "temporary". The SSE Wand was a temporary structure, as you know, though it lasted almost 8 years. And there have always been "temporary" stages in this area of Tomorrowland for the past 34 years. They were just consecutively "temporary" buildings of underwhelming design. If this area is going to continue to have a stage (as it has for 90% of MK's existence), it might as well fit thematically.

jt04

9-eye is seen in Video #4 here: http://jefflangedvd.com/2009/04/fir...in-tomorrowland-today-photos-exclusive-video/

She's in the Robo-Mart commercial. You can get her as a new robot if you recycle your old robot. With a full warranty too! Haha- I love it.:p

Me too! And the best thing is they can continually add new content. I wouldn't mind if this spreads throughout TL. Kinda like the sight gags and puns around the muppets theater. I wonder how long it will be before we see references to AE and XS etc.

Good stuff.

Castle Cake Apologist

Me too! And the best thing is they can continually add new content. I wouldn't mind if this spreads throughout TL. Kinda like the sight gags and puns around the muppets theater. I wonder how long it will be before we see references to AE and XS etc.

Good stuff.

According to the current official Tomorrowland backstory, XS-Tech is out of business... so I would assume that there wouldn't be any references to it.

I think the stage looks fantastic and fits the look and feel of Tomorrowland perfectly. The ads are a very nice touch, as well.

Well played, WDWE.

Jorodi25

When I first read about the new Stitch show, I was extremely disappointed (but not surprised) to see the continued decline of Tomorrowland.

"New Tomorrowland" in its original incarnation with Alien Encounter and Timekeeper was my favorite area of any theme park by far. I think both of those attractions were very well done, and even better, they involved stories and characters that were original.

While I always felt those two attractions were the anchors and most important elements for the overall story of New Tomorrowland, it was the other little things scattered throughout the land that tied it all together and made it feel complete. Things like the phone booth messages, the robot newsboy, the posters and signs for different organizations on the Avenue of the Planets, Sonny Eclipse, the TTA scenes, and even the old Space Mountain tv program...all of those little surprises added up to drive home a singular cohesive story. The more you explored, the more you could learn about the futuristic "city" and the people, robots, and aliens who lived and worked there.

For me, when they replaced Alien Encounter and Timekeeper, it really diminished the overall feeling of the land. As much as I dislike SGE, MILF seems even more out of place. Other elements have been lost, too, like the Space Mountain tv program, one of the posters by the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station, and even the welcome signs from the Loyal Order of Little Green Beings and other organizations were gone on my last trip in November of 2008 (I'm hoping it was only temporary and they were put back at some point).

Anyway, after all the disappointing changes (downgrades) that have been made, I figured the new Stitch show would be more of the same. However, I'm pleasantly surprised with the new advertisements that will be displayed between the shows. It looks as though they fit in with the New Tomorrowland story quite nicely. I had given up all hope of anything new being added that actually fits and doesn't rely on existing animated characters. I haven't seen all the new advertisements, but I'm interested to learn about some of the other "businesses" or people in Tomorrowland on my next visit. Even better, it's really cool that Timekeeper, 9-Eye, the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society, and other past or already established parts of the land are referenced here.

Anyway, long story short: it's refreshing to see some non-cartoon character references in Tomorrowland for a change. While the actual new Stitch show itself will probably not be something I enjoy, I appreciate the new advertisements and think they are cool.

Still, it's sad that something as simple as advertisements is one of the few positive changes that has been made to the land in the past fifteen years.

Now, if they'd put the old Timekeeper animatronic or something similar in a new scene on the TTA while it's closed for refurbishment, that would be awesome.

Vernonpush

wdw+stitch+celebration.jpg

IMG_6421.JPG

It looks like the budget for the screen got cut by 75%.:lookaroun:lol:

Lee

Adventurer
I have no problem with the stage itself, like others have said the problem is it's location. There were several places they could have put it that would have been far less intrusive.

The Galaxy Palace spot was a no-brainer, in my opinion. More parking was not needed there, and it will not be a staging area for SM. As Rob said, the parking across World Dr. and Pluto lot will do just fine for that. (By the way...anyone driven around there to see if there is any activity?)
I do like the New TL touches, though. If they have any sense at all they will extend that to SM as well.

And I have NO idea what happened to the screen. It went from big and awesome to....ummm.....kinda home theatre-ish.

MousDad

Positives from me on the look, design and elements of the stage. I have no comment on the placement or the show itself.

Size of screen is a little dissapointing. Maybe the screen that was supposed to be used here replaced the original curved screen at AIE? :lookaroun

nbodyhome

9-eye is seen in Video #4 here: http://jefflangedvd.com/2009/04/fir...in-tomorrowland-today-photos-exclusive-video/

She's in the Robo-Mart commercial. You can get her as a new robot if you recycle your old robot. With a full warranty too! Haha- I love it.:p

I am glad you are enjoying the video clips, I stayed for the full loop (I take all pics/vids for my Mousesteps site). The full loop is 18 minutes - or so I was told by someone who knew, I did not time it myself! I like the ads that are similar to Match.com for extra-terrestrials. :)

Denise

Figment632

Positives from me on the look, design and elements of the stage. I have no comment on the placement or the show itself.

Size of screen is a little dissapointing. Maybe the screen that was supposed to be used here replaced the original curved screen at AIE? :lookaroun

I will agree with you on the placement of stage but is all of this really the reason why there is so much negativity towards this show before it opens or is it that it involves Stich.

SirGoofy

I will agree with you on the placement of stage but is all of this really the reason why there is so much negativity towards this show before it opens or is it that it involves Stich.

Personally it es me off that the entire show is themed around the current "celebration".

I'm fine with parades and such changing with the year's marketing campaign, but an attraction based off of it is overkill imo.

I do like the ad loop, though.

Glasgow

I will agree with you on the placement of stage but is all of this really the reason why there is so much negativity towards this show before it opens or is it that it involves Stich.[/QUOTE]

In a nutshell, this is probably why. Plus, there has been a constant decline of quality in TL over the past 15 years so introducing a new 'stage' attraction is not what everyone was hoping for.

Regardless of the show's quality or lack thereof, I think most folks were hoping for something a bit more novel, exciting and in step with the original vision for TL.

Magicot

Honestly, GPT is gone and there's nothing we can do about it. So why get all flustered? And there have always been temporary stages in this location since the mid '70s. So why are we complaining about its placement now? I never remember people complaining about all the other stages which were much more lackluster and a lot of times much larger and obtrusive. :veryconfu

devoy1701

It's going to be used a an area where they store supplies for SM. Hopefully this theater is moved to that spot when the refurb ends. I am at least glad that the Imagineers are tying this in to the New Tomorrowland storyline.

I think the main problem some have with this stage, and it's location, are that this stage is a PERMANENT structure... the other stages were temporary structures, and were erected that way.... This one is a brick and mortar permanent building....

not exactly the same as the one in the 2002 photo..

Jason...it would be kind of near impossible for them to move the stage to where the Galaxy Palace Theater was considering two things...1: its a perminant structure and I remember it including ALOT of foundation work and dirt moving...they wouldn't have done all of that if they were going to be moving that stage in 7 months. 2: they've closed off the area where Galaxy Palace used to be with another block wall...

DisneyChik17

Honestly, GPT is gone and there's nothing we can do about it. So why get all flustered? And there have always been temporary stages in this location since the mid '70s. So why are we complaining about its placement now? I never remember people complaining about all the other stages which were much more lackluster and a lot of times much larger and obtrusive. :veryconfu

I think we have a winner. This is a very permanant looking structure. It is not to many people's liking. That's why we're here... to voice an opinion, even when it doesn't matter.

I think that if they wanted to have a new show in Tomorrowland, that it could be much better done. This is just not very nice looking. The fact that they are puching Stich EVERYWHERE and not executing it well doesn't help the case of this show. I will watch it, I'm sure, and make a better judgement. As for SGE, it can have it's stinky chilli dog.

WDWGoof07

About the ads, I actually like the ones that reference the New Tomorrowland back story, but I could do without "Are you lonely?" and "Happy Galaxy Day" and others of that ilk. Disney should make an XS Tech ad for the fans instead.

Like I said the stage looks fine and blends with TL. I'm not ready to write the show off because of Stitch (I like the character), but the concept isn't too appealing to me. This attraction is all marketing and no imagination, specifically concocted to promote the latest ad campaign. That's just bad news to me.

MacRtst

Not a fan of the placement at all. I liked the "openess" of that place.
AND, now I dislike stitch even more...
Strange thing is I have no idea why. I just can't stand him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom