Stitch walls down

Animaniac93-98

And I'd like to see some posts of TSMM hating, just because I don't recall that.

I recall it, but that was another Disney forum. One where people were upset the giant taking potato had an electric microphone on an turn of the century boardwalk. As apposed to, you know, the idea of a giant talking potato in general.

marsrunner

Of course, something new is about to open and all the haters come running. :brick:

Why not at least let it open before you bash it. I remember a lot of the same people in this thread bashing Midway Mania. How did that turn out for you?

Seems to me that it's themed well and the commercials look like some of the posters around TL.

So we can't complain about the fact that its ugly? We have to wait until the show is open and we've seen it before we talk about the pictures? That makes alot of sense. :rolleyes:

Rob562

To be fair, if GPT is being used as a staging area for Space Mountain work (as someone said a few posts ago), I would much rather have that.

I've read that "staging area for Space Mountain" thing in a few places, but it makes no sense.

There is no direct access from where Galaxy Palace used to be and Space Mountain. For one, SM is on the opposite side of the railroad tracks, and there's no way of crossing them there. So if anything were to come and go from the lot, it'd have to get under the single railroad bridge, around that winding road next to the monorail tracks, out onto World Drive, and then back into the lot behind the Mountain.

What's most likely the case is the "management parking" theory, which I think has been overblown a little. They'd be using the GPT as additional management parking because they'd be taking over their current parking along World Drive across from SM (Pluto 1, I think it'd called) for construction staging. Pluto 1 is a LOT more convenient for construction vehicles and materials than the Main Street East lot.
So if that were true, I guess you could say that the GPT land is being used *because* of SM's refurb, but not specifically being used *for* it...

There's also a lot of open staging space just up World Drive, roughly opposite from Toontown Fair, near the Bay Lake drydock.

-Rob

wannab@dis

I recall it, but that was another Disney forum. One where people were upset the giant taking potato had an electric microphone on an turn of the century boardwalk. As apposed to, you know, the idea of a giant talking potato in general.
No, it was here. There was tons of complaining with a lot by the same people in this thread complaining about this attraction.

The stage matches the theme of Tomorrowland. The ads match the theme and actually appear fairly retro. There will be an alien making an appearance. It's a fit. Why not at least give it a chance.

1disneydood

The ads might not be great themselves, but digital bilboards ARE the way of the future. Bladerunner had digital ads in the sky. Today, in my area there are flatscreen digital ads. Are we supposed to believe there will be no ads in the future? DS has bilboards, as does AK in dinorama. What's wrong with futuristic bilboard ads? I can't believe some would rather have a blank screen in between shows. :rolleyes:
Also the show may bring a level of energy into an otherwise quiet and bland walkway. We can't keep tomorrowland as it was in 1971, otherwise after we are long gone, our future generations would get bored of the old shows and technology. We might not like Stitch, but he's popular to the crowd who will be spending $$$ to go to the parks, once again, after this generation is dead and buried. :shrug:

SGE may suck, but if we freeze tomorrowland as it was, it will all suck in the future to those who count. Those who will actually be alive to support WDW.

Expo_Seeker40

I can't complain. Since 1975 the area for the stage has seen many temporary things come and go. This does fit in with the tomorrowland community with the look and mention of all the different tomorrowland companies. It's not like the stitch show will be around forever. I'm sure they'll use it for something sci-fi related down the road.

moreno

Walt Disney Creative Entertainment is now a full subsidery of Walt Disney Imagineering, so even if Entertainment did do this show, that still is Imagineering.

youre sort of half right. the anouncement of the restructuring came last month, well after construction had begun on this project. before now, projects such as this were able to move from concept to completion without wdi involvement (dont ask me how). so now everything that goes into the parks flows through wdi, which wasnt the case before. hopefully this will keep mistakes like this from happening again

Magicot

I can't complain. Since 1975 the area for the stage has seen many temporary things come and go. This does fit in with the tomorrowland community with the look and mention of all the different tomorrowland companies. It's not like the stitch show will be around forever. I'm sure they'll use it for something sci-fi related down the road.
Honestly, I really don't see the problem here. I very much agree with Expo_Seeker40. It's not like there haven't been large bulky stages in this very location in the past. Take a look at this pic from December 2002:

TL1202-16.jpg

The stage in this pic was enormous compared to the new 2009 stage. And as far as theming goes, it had some metal features in the front and green triangles on the side. That's about it. Otherwise, it was a huge, obtrusive, bland structure with exposed skeketal features throughout. I'd say what we now have is a lot more interesting and thematically appropriate for Tomorrowland.

Also, I think that the final "Stitch" stage, in actuality, is a lot better than it's proposed artist concept (seen below). I think that the shades of silver, purple and green that we received make a lot more sense than the orange, gold, and copper in the concept. That color pallete was more DL NewTomorrowland circa 1998.

wdw+stitch+celebration.jpg

From an architectural standpoint, there are a few features of this new stage that reflect structures seen elsewhere in Tomorrowland. (See below) The curved roof seen here reminds me of the angled roofs along the Northern side of "Avenue of the Planets". The two curving silver spikes seen on the sides are extremely similar to the legs of the TTA (evident in my next picture below). Even the stage's small details like the circle motifs and orb-like door covering are TL staples.

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6409.JPG

Furthermore, I am a huge fan of the "video-billboards" or advertisements on the monitor. With references to 9-Eye, The Timekeeper, Tom Morrow, the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society, and the cohabitation of humans, aliens, and robots, this only furthers the expansive backstory and layering of TL. It's very similar to the ads you already see all around the land, and hear on the TTA. Yes, they are corny and loaded with puns and obscure references, but so are all the other ones that have been around since the '94 land refurb. These videos especially remind me of the TL phonebooth near the Astro Orbiter with it's cheesy humor. And without a doubt, the news broadcast is a decendant of the 1994 Space Mountain queue TV program known as "SMTV". Anyone remember that? Check out all these videos of the new "TNN" as seen on the stage and you'll see why I'm such a big fan: http://jefflangedvd.com/2009/04/first-glimpse-stitchs-supersonic-celebration-construction-walls-down-in-tomorrowland-today-photos-exclusive-video/

I applaud all this plussing to the TL story and I'm surprised that so many of you are disappointed with these additions. I think the only things I don't like are: 1) the pointed, boxy back end of the stage and 2) the fact that it has to be a show about Stitch.

Jasonflz

Honestly, I really don't see the problem here. I very much agree with Expo_Seeker40. It's not like there haven't been large bulky stages in this very location in the past. Take a look at this pic from December 2002:

TL1202-16.jpg

The stage in this pic was enormous compared to the new 2009 stage. And as far as theming goes, it had some metal features in the front and green triangles on the side. That's about it. Otherwise, it was a huge, obtrusive, bland structure with exposed skeketal features throughout. I'd say what we now have is a lot more interesting and thematically appropriate for Tomorrowland.

Also, I think that the final "Stitch" stage, in actuality, is a lot better than it's proposed artist concept (seen below). I think that the shades of silver, purple and green that we received make a lot more sense than the orange, gold, and copper in the concept. That color pallete was more DL NewTomorrowland circa 1998.

wdw+stitch+celebration.jpg

From an architectural standpoint, there are a few features of this new stage that reflect structures seen elsewhere in Tomorrowland. (See below) The curved roof seen here reminds me of the angled roofs along the Northern side of "Avenue of the Planets". The two curving silver spikes seen on the sides are extremely similar to the legs of the TTA (evident in my next picture below). Even the stage's small details like the circle motifs and orb-like door covering are TL staples.

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6409.JPG

Furthermore, I am a huge fan of the "video-billboards" or advertisements on the monitor. With references to 9-Eye, The Timekeeper, Tom Morrow, the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society, and the cohabitation of humans, aliens, and robots, this only furthers the expansive backstory and layering of TL. It's very similar to the ads you already see all around the land, and hear on the TTA. Yes, they are corny and loaded with puns and obscure references, but so are all the other ones that have been around since the '94 land refurb. These videos especially remind me of the TL phonebooth near the Astro Orbiter with it's cheesy humor. And without a doubt, the news broadcast is a decendant of the 1994 Space Mountain queue TV program known as "SMTV". Anyone remember that? Check out all these videos of the new "TNN" as seen on the stage and you'll see why I'm such a big fan: http://jefflangedvd.com/2009/04/first-glimpse-stitchs-supersonic-celebration-construction-walls-down-in-tomorrowland-today-photos-exclusive-video/

I applaud all this plussing to the TL story and I'm surprised that so many of you are disappointed with these additions. I think the only things I don't like are: 1) the pointed, boxy back end of the stage and 2) the fact that it has to be a show about Stitch.

Well said!:sohappy:

btw: what ad was 9-eye in and what happened?

hardcard

I think the main problem some have with this stage, and it's location, are that this stage is a PERMANENT structure... the other stages were temporary structures, and were erected that way.... This one is a brick and mortar permanent building....

not exactly the same as the one in the 2002 photo..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom