Stitch and Tomorrowland=what do they have in common?

dsnyfreak

I miss Walt's idea team form the 60's and 70's they knew how to theme stuff around a character.:( Now it seems to be all politics:eek: but thats still not going to stop me from going!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Tomorrowland in MK at WDW is no longer about innovation, science or discovery. It has not been for quite some time. Future world at Epcot has assumed that role. Tomorrowland is now the Sci-Fi version of Fantasyland and for that theme Stitch, Buzz and Monsters Inc fit in just fine.

Change happens....get used to it. If you don't like it stop going. If enough people do this then it will change back. Simple as that.

dazzer68

the problem is, take away stitch and monsters inc, from disney catalougue of characters, and whats left? there arent many others in the 'futuristic world' that people recognise and can be used. perhaps a new character is needed?
i dont like stitch, and i dont see how a one film character can have so much presence in the whole of WDW.Instead of trying to turn him into the new mickey mouse, which is never going to happen, reign him back in a people might start to like him.

Figment632

I have to say...an awful lot of people dislike SGE!
I might be asking an unnecessary question, but is it really all that bad?

I've never been on SGE. I went on EE once before it was replaced and did not like it at all (frightened me too much/didn't like being trapped in a seat) but I can't imagine SGE is worse, but maybe it is? What makes it so bad?

The problem is that the strory is lame, and they really made no changes. They took out the scary alien and slapped Stich in. It is another refurb that was done on th cheap.

I actually like the character of Stich and the AA on the ride is awsome, its just a shame that the ride turned out so bad.

tirian

OK so there is Stitch's Great Escape in Tomorrowland and now they are giving him a show!:eek::eek::eek: Why are they putting all of this Stitch stuff in Tomorrowland? I mean really do they even know that they are basically destroying it!

I just wander how many people would go to tomorrowland during the refurb for Space Mountain and TTA. The only attractions there are:

• Monsters Inc.
  • Stitch's Great escape and his So-called show!(can get a couple of good hits:shrug::shrug:)
  • Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin(Can be a big hit!)

• Carousel of Progress (can close occasionally)
We will just have to wait and see!...

He's an alien. He fits TL much, much, MUCH better than Adventureland. Too bad his attractions are terrible.

Also, how can he be in two places at the same time? Somebody was sleeping when the stage show was approved.

Ashitaka

Also, how can he be in two places at the same time? Somebody was sleeping when the stage show was approved.
Well, um, ah...Time travel. It's Time Travel! Yeah, that's it. When the guests go into SGE, they travel back in time to when Stitch was still was still Experiment 626. Then when they come back out, they head to the "future" of Tomorrowland. See, we are being futuristic. We have Time Travel, yeah. So it's not at the same time at all.

:lookaroun

Animaniac93-98

the problem is, take away stitch and monsters inc, from disney catalougue of characters, and whats left? there arent many others in the 'futuristic world' that people recognise and can be used. perhaps a new character is needed?

- Treasure Planet (would love to solar surf through space)
- Tron (Peoplemover super speed tunnel at DL was/is not enough IMO)
- The Black Hole
- The Rocketeer (perfect for MK's 1930s-40s futurism)
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (nice bridging element between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, same would be true for Island at the Top of the World)
- Flight of the Navigator
- Atlantis

Elements/themes form these movies and others could be used. Disney has an amazing cataloge of titles but only cares for about 1/10th tops. Interesting ideas well executed are never as good as box office returns/merchandising possibilities right? And there's no way you can educate the public or create interest in them through the parks right?

I find the last comment funny because they did make new characters and stories for Tomorrowland, and then got rid of them. Originality is SO 1994.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Stitch if his attraction was not just plain stupid. The technology is there, but it's very poorly used IMO.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
i dont like stitch, and i dont see how a one film character can have so much presence in the whole of WDW.Instead of trying to turn him into the new mickey mouse, which is never going to happen, reign him back in a people might start to like him.

There's a problem with this line of thinking. WHY do they NEED characters?? Tomorrowland has had many attractions in the past without "known" characters and been very successful.

frankd1962

Remember, he escapes at the end and goes over to visit Cindy. So, he could have gotten booted out of the Castle and came over in time for his show.

I personally love Stitch/Experiment 626. I thought the little "Stitch"-psodes that they showed before the release of the first movie (and on the DVD) were great. How Jasmine gave him the eye, how he screwed up Ariel's big moment during "Part of Your World" and causing the chandelier to fall during the most romantic part of Belle's dance with Beast made me want to see what trouble he was going to cause. And still does it seems through the parks. Just have to find "him" at the right time in the right place to have a great laugh.

And I love the SGE show especially the chilli dog scent. (How did that guy get in there with food anyway?) Of course, I was the guy rolling on the floor during the coffee scene in Austin Powers 2. (Don't know what I'm talking about? Check it out! The theater was dry heaving and I'm laughing at both the screen and them!)

Yellow Strap

Monsters Inc. - Happens in a parallel universe, not in space.
Lilo & Stitch - Is set in current day Hawaii and only goes to into (current) space.
Toy Story - Buzz Lightyear is a superhero toy that flies in a movie based in current day.

How come these are in Tomorrowland? Because it's a stretch just to put characters in the parks. :brick:

I don't see it as a stretch at all. It is Disney World...they are Disney characters...end of story. I never understood the problems with Characters popping up at various points in the 4 parks. Kids love them...they are not for cynical, jaded adults.

dazzer68

There's a problem with this line of thinking. WHY do they NEED characters?? Tomorrowland has had many attractions in the past without "known" characters and been very successful.
i dont agree that they do need characters, but disneys line of thinking is that they need every thing to tie in.
ie movie, ride, character+mercandise! = $$$$
if theres no character theres not much of a cashcow in it.

DisneyPrincess5

The problem is that the strory is lame, and they really made no changes. They took out the scary alien and slapped Stich in. It is another refurb that was done on th cheap.

I actually like the character of Stich and the AA on the ride is awsome, its just a shame that the ride turned out so bad.

Hmm ok...thanks for the info. We will definitely have to check this out next time. I'm so curious now!

Dragonrider1227

Monsters Inc. - Happens in a parallel universe, not in space.
Lilo & Stitch - Is set in current day Hawaii and only goes to into (current) space.
Toy Story - Buzz Lightyear is a superhero toy that flies in a movie based in current day.

How come these are in Tomorrowland? Because it's a stretch just to put characters in the parks. :brick:
But Stitch's world is very futuristic and in space.
Ah, but the ride isn't about "Toy Story." It's about "Buzz Lightyear" and "Buzz Lightyear" as a character and a toy is set in the future. Buzz's story is set in the future. Not to mention Buzz DID have a cartoon series set in the future that there are references to in the ride.
Problem is, Lilo and Stitch takes place during the present. Not the future.
Submarines aren't the future either but Walt put them in Tomorrowland :lookaroun
and maybe I'm missing something here but I didn't understand how "If you had wings" was futuristic either. You're flying around the world. We have that already. THEY'RE CALL AIRPLANES!!! In fact, what I could gather, the whole thing was an airline ad anyway

imagineer boy

I don't see it as a stretch at all. It is Disney World...they are Disney characters...end of story. I never understood the problems with Characters popping up at various points in the 4 parks. Kids love them...they are not for cynical, jaded adults.

Wow, what happened to the place "where parents and the children can have fun together" I wonder? :rolleyes:

BradleyJay

Tomorrowland in MK at WDW is no longer about innovation, science or discovery. It has not been for quite some time.

If you can't see how Buzz, Stitch, or Monsters fit in. How did a 360 movie about current day America or a commercial about Eastern Airlines flights to the carribean. Fit in.

dsnyfreak

But Stitch's world is very futuristic and in space.
Ah, but the ride isn't about "Toy Story." It's about "Buzz Lightyear" and "Buzz Lightyear" as a character and a toy is set in the future. Buzz's story is set in the future. Not to mention Buzz DID have a cartoon series set in the future that there are references to in the ride.

Submarines aren't the future either but Walt put them in Tomorrowland :lookaroun
and maybe I'm missing something here but I didn't understand how "If you had wings" was futuristic either. You're flying around the world. We have that already. THEY'RE CALL AIRPLANES!!! In fact, what I could gather, the whole thing was an airline ad anyway
am I suffering from amnesia or was 20,000 leagues in fantasyland next to mr toads wild ride and dumbo?!:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom