Star Wars Weekends discontinued at Disney's Hollywood Studios

asianway

You are correct that Disney is not Lucas (even though Disney bought LFL back in 2012 for more than $4 BILLION). Their standards are high for the performers but in my honest opinion, they need to look at the Star Wars costumes they do and make sure they do them right. We trim our armor or tailor our costumes to fit like a glove (not too tight, loose, etc). That doesn't seem to be the case with Disney. I do understand why they're doing it but they should be willing to spend the money to make the costumes look that much more authentic.
It's not uncommon for members of the 501st to sell their costumes/armor to other people to either move on to another new costume or because they need the money. One of the FIRST things the seller will say (other than the cost) is their height, weight, etc. This reduces the risk of the potential of the buyer losing a lot of money because the armor/costume doesn't fit him/her.
I'll put it this way: If I was to become a Disney Cast Member, the first thing I would do is INSIST on using my own Stormtrooper armor. I would be a LOT more comfortable wearing something of my own and not have to worry about whether or not it fit me correctly.
When we do our events, we take our time and make sure that we are dialed in nearly perfect before we ever step foot out into the general public.
One thing to know about Disney entertainment - the performer needs to fit the costume for non equity roles. Stormtroopers to Snow White that's just how it's always been done.

I think it's more embarrassing on Disney's part that John Q Tarkin can afford say a Snowtrooper costume which is theme park quality and they can't do it themselves.

wdrive

I'll put it this way: If I was to become a Disney Cast Member, the first thing I would do is INSIST on using my own Stormtrooper armor. I would be a LOT more comfortable wearing something of my own and not have to worry about whether or not it fit me correctly.
When we do our events, we take our time and make sure that we are dialed in nearly perfect before we ever step foot out into the general public.

Well you'll never be a Disney cast member.

ToTBellHop

Well you'll never be a Disney cast member.
Imagine if NYC Mickey Mouses "insisted" on using their own costumes.
image.jpeg

ToTBellHop

why is that? one of the two requirements to join the 501st is a 'screen accurate' costume, well tailored to your person. so much better fit then the ones that the CM's have to wear
Because a company with over 50,000 employees does its own costuming for quality-control (for better or for worse, arguably worse in this case). Imagine if Disney just slapped smocks over whatever it's CMs wanted to wear like Walmart.

dstrawn9889

Because a company with over 50,000 employees does its own costuming for quality-control (for better or for worse, arguably worse in this case). Imagine if Disney just slapped smocks over whatever it's CMs wanted to wear like Walmart.
the gentleman in question is a 501st, and his costume would be superior to the one issued as a cast costume is the point

Bulldog1653

Maybe I came off as too high and mighty when I said that I would insist on wearing my own armor but there is a fundamental reason for it. I take what I do very seriously and I will never step out in the public unless all of the details on my costume are 100% accurate. If I was to wear storm trooper armor the way they do at the Disney parks, I would be laughed out of the group. That's my whole point. In my honest opinion Disney needs to pay better attention to detail and do it correctly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
the gentleman in question is a 501st, and his costume would be superior to the one issued as a cast costume is the point
From what I have seen, Disney puts consistency just above quality.Every character must look as close to the same across the board. Disneyland even made the original Captain Jack Sparrow CMs, several of which were professional Captain Jack impersonators, shave their facial hair and wear fake goatees so they all looked the same.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/pirates-booty1/

JohnD

Getting back to the topic of the thread, I don't see why they couldn't continue SW weekends. Other than Star Tours and exiting into Tatooine Traders there was nothing on that side of the park anyway for SW before the anticipated construction. This past year, the celebrity interviews were in the BATB theatre anyway. They could still do the parade down Hollywood Blvd, stage shows in front of the theatre (with revised stage to blend in with the theatre rather than block it), and the fireworks. SW Launch Bay is already in place also.

Maerj

Maybe I came off as too high and mighty when I said that I would insist on wearing my own armor but there is a fundamental reason for it. I take what I do very seriously and I will never step out in the public unless all of the details on my costume are 100% accurate. If I was to wear storm trooper armor the way they do at the Disney parks, I would be laughed out of the group. That's my whole point. In my honest opinion Disney needs to pay better attention to detail and do it correctly.

Disney needs to remember that when they purchased Star Wars, they inherited legions of fans as well. Lucasfilm has worked closely with fans and I think that Disney could benefit from doing the same. Perhaps they could team up with the 501st in creating new costumes for Cast Members?

dstrawn9889

not gonna happen, the amount those guys pour into their hobby is the one reason i ma not yet one of these bad guys doing good... well that and i have no ability to create my own (talent nor time). for someone to create a movie accurate stormtrooper armor set is like 2-3k...
and lets not mention the difficulties of sourcing the right boots

wannabeBelle

Disney needs to remember that when they purchased Star Wars, they inherited legions of fans as well. Lucasfilm has worked closely with fans and I think that Disney could benefit from doing the same. Perhaps they could team up with the 501st in creating new costumes for Cast Members?
Doubtful that Disney will work with anyone on creating costumes, which kind of makes sense, but embracing the fans and their love of the franchise is truly a no-brainer!! Marie

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

As long as Disney is making money licensing SW merchandise they don't give a damn what the SW fans think. That's the new reality for Star Wars fandom.

asianway

A noble collaborative idea, but just not the way Disney works. Especially the entertainment higher ups

Maerj

As long as Disney is making money licensing SW merchandise they don't give a damn what the SW fans think. That's the new reality for Star Wars fandom.

I disagree. They DO give a damn what fans think, as they really went out of their way to please fans with this new film. They realize that if the fan base isn't happy with their product, they'll turn on them and then Disney won't be making billions of dollars from it. Now that said, I don't think that Disney Corporate higher-ups are going to be all buddy-buddy with the various fan groups but it would nice if they could work with them in some capacity.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I disagree. They DO give a damn what fans think, as they really went out of their way to please fans with this new film. They realize that if the fan base isn't happy with their product, they'll turn on them and then Disney won't be making billions of dollars from it. Now that said, I don't think that Disney Corporate higher-ups are going to be all buddy-buddy with the various fan groups but it would nice if they could work with them in some capacity.
I have little doubt that they will. You already have one instance on them giving an early screening of Episode 7 to a terminally ill fan as well as the inclusion of R2-KT into both Star Wars: Rebels and Episode 7. Disney has also worked with the 501st pretty much since the start of SWW.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have little doubt that they will. You already have one instance on them giving an early screening of Episode 7 to a terminally ill fan as well as the inclusion of R2-KT into both Star Wars: Rebels and Episode 7. Disney has also worked with the 501st pretty much since the start of SWW.

Yet SWW weekends are no more, Replaced with 'The Launch Bay' and the promise of SWL in 5-7 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom