Star Wars: The Acolyte

Willmark

Like them or love them, the prequels all moved the needle forward. The stories for the prequels were just fine and the three movies together all worked for a common narrative. The dialogue was lacking, but the story was there.

TLJ did nothing to move any story forward. You didn't end the movie having developed anything from the beginning. Heck even TROS gave us SOMETHING and tried to right the ship from TLJ. As I always said, TROS was the sequel to an episode 8 we never saw.

Wait, this is the Acolyte thread. How did I get here?
It’s relevant for two reasons.

1. The show runner is taking her cues from it apparently.

2. It’s role in fracturing the fan base. It’s basically a dividing line.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I'm sure the kids who were 5 to 10yrs old will have a fondness for the sequels. The real question is will the 18 to 40yr old grow an appreciation for them. That happened with the prequels. What helped the prequels is they had a story that felt connected and coherent through the whole trilogy. The sequels just felt like everyone was playing pass the baton. There was no singular vision in my opinion. That's why I don't think I will ever have a fondness for them.
To back that up,

Last Saturday, we had a jedi training activity with the Church kids (3-10 year olds). We made balloon lightsabers and lots of balloons to play with. I dressed as a Jedi Master and we learned to use our lightsabers. We playing Jedi/Sith (red light/green light). I asked the kids who's lightsaber I held up. They all screamed "Kylo Ren!" It was Darth Vader's lightsaber. I hung my head in shame. What are these parents teach them?

DKampy

I'm sure the kids who were 5 to 10yrs old will have a fondness for the sequels. The real question is will the 18 to 40yr old grow an appreciation for them. That happened with the prequels. What helped the prequels is they had a story that felt connected and coherent through the whole trilogy. The sequels just felt like everyone was playing pass the baton. There was no singular vision in my opinion. That's why I don't think I will ever have a fondness for them.
Well the people I know from my generation…still have no love for the prequels…my cousins kids who watched the prequels at a young age do still have a fondness for those now that they are in their 20’s and 30’s…so it still feels generational to me

mf1972

Ehhh… Nothing will ever come close to the original 3… and I know people like to rate each individual trilogy… I am one who views each movie on its own merits…. IMO Rise is the worst of all of Star Wars media… followed closely by Attack of the Clones… however I thought both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were better than any of the prequels… which causes ST to edge out the PT…. I will say Andor is the best piece of Star Wars media since the original trilogy

It will be interesting to see how people feel about the latest 3 in 20 years… as my niece and nephew recently watched every Star Wars film… their fav was the Disney trilogy… their least favorite was the prequels.., their favorite character in all of Star Wars is Kylo…perhaps it depends on which movies was your generation
off topic, but u made me remember as a kid standing in a long line for tickets when ROTJ first came out. stretched around the theater. my dad took me & my sister. we did get in & i still remember the crowd cheering to all the big moments. haven’t witnessed anything like that again ever since.

erasure fan1

Well the people I know from my generation…still have no love for the prequels…my cousins kids who watched the prequels at a young age do still have a fondness for those now that they are in their 20’s and 30’s…so it still feels generational to me
I'm not saying everyone from that demographic magically loves them. But there has been a big increase in people who appreciate them a lot more now. That's the question. Will there be a significant increase in the 18 to 40yr olds who didn't like them, grow to appreciate them? Time will tell. But the kids who this is their first real star wars, most will always have a fondness for it.

DKampy

off topic, but u made me remember as a kid standing in a long line for tickets when ROTJ first came out. stretched around the theater. my dad took me & my sister. we did get in & i still remember the crowd cheering to all the big moments. haven’t witnessed anything like that again ever since.
As someone who was 5 when A New Hope was released…that was my 1st real movie in a theater…there was nothing like it…I think I must of seen it a year later… because when. My dad took me…. Star Wars was already a phenomenon…. It was a full theater with everyone excited who had obviously seen it multiple times already…the theater even set up characters at the theater… I remember Luke and Leia running up the center aisle before the movie began

Phroobar

Jedi Trinity

G0011_PROD_SW_BL_DEFENSE_246_2000x.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To back that up,

Last Saturday, we had a jedi training activity with the Church kids (3-10 year olds). We made balloon lightsabers and lots of balloons to play with. I dressed as a Jedi Master and we learned to use our lightsabers. We playing Jedi/Sith (red light/green light). I asked the kids who's lightsaber I held up. They all screamed "Kylo Ren!" It was Darth Vader's lightsaber. I hung my head in shame. What are these parents teach them?

Is that like the Universal Life Church or something? 🤪

BrianLo

Before someone comes in guns blazing to claim otherwise, those reactions are mostly professional critics, Star Wars nerds (Millenials or Gen-Xers) - who have various opinions of past product and are typical invitees to many past media circuits. Though some of them are usually on the more positive take end of things.

Aka it's not a fan reaction preview ala a Zack Snyder film.

I wasn't sure if this was going to be dorky or feel like a fan-fic off-brand show. But I like the points I keep hearing. Practical sets and effects. A robust cast. Andor comparisons.

I've always liked that it's finally a proper product outside the Skywalker legacy - so many things have been cancelled that I'm actually sort of surprised this came out the other end. In a good way - it's catching me off guard.

DKampy

Before someone comes in guns blazing to claim otherwise, those reactions are mostly professional critics, Star Wars nerds (Millenials or Gen-Xers) - who have various opinions of past product and are typical invitees to many past media circuits. Though some of them are usually on the more positive take end of things.

Aka it's not a fan reaction preview ala a Zack Snyder film.

I wasn't sure if this was going to be dorky or feel like a fan-fic off-brand show. But I like the points I keep hearing. Practical sets and effects. A robust cast. Andor comparisons.

I've always liked that it's finally a proper product outside the Skywalker legacy - so many things have been cancelled that I'm actually sort of surprised this came out the other end. In a good way - it's catching me off guard.
Yes I was not sure how I felt after the trailer…however the clip released look great…a well choreograph action scene…this along with the reviews has me very interested to check this out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom