Star Wars: The Acolyte

Willmark

We'll have to revisit this once the third episode rolls around:

Also, much like a lot of the last season of GoT there are a fair number of guesses already as to what this is in episode 3. I'm not going to link them but will be curious if they turn out to be accurate.

From what I've read the Alan Ng is one of the early reviewers.

sedati

Also, my guess on the hysteria- there are other interpretations of the force in both Canon and the EU. We'll probably be introduced to a people (witches) who see and use the force in a way different from that of the Jedi. Doesn't mean that they're way is the one and only way. If true, the only people who will be really upset are the same that kept yelling that Midichlorians were the force (they're not)

Willmark

I've been watching the clips that Disney is putting out. Why does this whole thing feel like the Matrix but in Star Wars?
I wonder if the assassin will utter the words: "I know Force Fu".
From what I’ve read it’s more a case of taking inspiration from TLJ and AotC.

While I didn’t read the EU books aside from one back in the day I did play a fair amount of the SW d20 TTRPG. It’s been over 20 years but as I recall some of the lore:

Leia and Han had twins and one is a light side Jedi and one is a dark side Jedi or some such.

It’s also a fairly obvious self insert to her and her sister with her comments and the mentions of being inspired by Frozen.

Also early reports is it looks like one would expect in terms of visuals. I would expect it should at that level of production costs.

Phroobar

Leia and Han had twins and one is a light side Jedi and one is a dark side Jedi or some such.

It’s also a fairly obvious self insert to her and her sister with her comments and the mentions of being inspired by Frozen.
The Legacy of the Force series tells the story of the Skywalker/Solo civil war, Jacen's fall to the dark side, becoming Darth Caedus (Kylo Ren) and Jaina's battle with Darth Caedus. It's a good series that picks up right after the Yuuzhan Vong war.

Leia and Han did have twins. Jacen and Jaina. Both became jedi and fought in the Yuuzhan Vong war. Anakin Solo was their little brother who dies in that war. After the war, the Galactic Alliance fell into civil war with the Solos on the side of Corrillia and Skywalkers & Jedi on the side of the GA. Jacen became under the influence of sith lord (actually one of Luke's old girl friends) and become Darth Caedus and runs the Galactic Alliance. He is pretty much Kylo Ren at this point. He tries to recruit is cousin Ben Skywalker to the dark side. Darth Caedus kills Luke's wife Mara Jade uniting both the Skywalkers and Solos again into kill Jacen. Han and Leia have Jaina kill Jacen.

I wish Disney would have stayed truer to the EU books than taking bits and pieces here and there from them. The mix up of stories is inferior.

Willmark

The Legacy of the Force series tells the story of the Skywalker/Solo civil war, Jacen's fall to the dark side, becoming Darth Caedus (Kylo Ren) and Jaina's battle with Darth Caedus. It's a good series that picks up right after the Yuuzhan Vong war.

Leia and Han did have twins. Jacen and Jaina. Both became jedi and fought in the Yuuzhan Vong war. Anakin Solo was their little brother who dies in that war. After the war, the Galactic Alliance fell into civil war with the Solos on the side of Corrillia and Skywalkers & Jedi on the side of the GA. Jacen became under the influence of sith lord (actually one of Luke's old girl friends) and become Darth Caedus and runs the Galactic Alliance. He is pretty much Kylo Ren at this point. He tries to recruit is cousin Ben Skywalker to the dark side. Darth Caedus kills Luke's wife Mara Jade uniting both the Skywalkers and Solos again into kill Jacen. Han and Leia have Jaina kill Jacen.

I wish Disney would have stayed truer to the EU books than taking bits and pieces here and there from them. The mix up of stories is inferior.
Thanks I knew this sounded somewhat familiar to me.

Seems like it’s basically a mash-up several different storylines.

Phroobar

Everything has been a mash up of stories. The Emperor's return comes from Dark Empire 1 & 2. We even got two cloned Emperor figures.

iu

Willmark

Out of original ideas?
Who knows.

We’ll find out tonight. As noted I’m more curious about next week’s episode. We’ll see then if it is another line where fans step off.

Previously:
The Ewoks
The Sequels
The Last Jedi
Etc.

I’m not one of those folks who are “you ruined my childhood!” What Disney Star Wars is to me? It’s simply making me apathetic.

After the first two episodes tonight I’ll likely watch the first episode of Obi Wan, who along with R2 is my favorite character. As I noted in the other thread I’ve see a few snippets and understand the lightsaber duel is very good so we’ll see.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Wait, what? I thought Disney Star Wars wasn’t too fond of the EU?

/s
It's not a lack of *fondness.* They became a contradictory mess. And rather than say, "these five books are OK to be canon, and half of these three book, and the set-up of this comic series"... it was easier to just declare them all non-canon for the movies and projects going forward.

Then they can pick and chose characters and plot points from the EU as they saw fit to create a more coherent universe.

Heppenheimer

It's not a lack of *fondness.* They became a contradictory mess. And rather than say, "these five books are OK to be canon, and half of these three book, and the set-up of this comic series"... it was easier to just declare them all non-canon for the movies and projects going forward.

Then they can pick and chose characters and plot points from the EU as they saw fit to create a more coherent universe.
And in the process, they've made an absolute mess of the existing movie canon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been watching the clips that Disney is putting out. Why does this whole thing feel like the Matrix but in Star Wars?
I wonder if the assassin will utter the words: "I know Force Fu".
It could work

At this point I’m open to anything.

At this point I’d just like to die seeing something Star Wars that isn’t glued together with duct tape?

Been 41 years with few exceptions

Willmark

That's one my favorite things Kennedy said. We don't have years of books and comic like marvel has to pull from. Uhhh, that's exactly what you have. Lol
And it seems like it’s exactly what they’ve done: lifted from the EU.

I’ve done a bit more reading and watched some videos; apparently the big reveal in episode 3 isn’t even an original idea either, it’s from the EU.

Basically this thing reads like someone’s homebrew campaign for Star Wars d20 from about 2004.

Only difference is 180 million, give or take.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I love it when over-stuffed scarecrows keeps telling us "THIS IS THE LAST STRAW!!!"
It’s tiresome and pedantic, isn’t it?

…not at all dissimilar to trying to spin the indefensible, inaccurate, inexplicable opinion that Disney has run Star Wars “well”?

…or how about this: why don’t we all watch it and just maybe we all like it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Except that is 100% not what they said from the start. Let the google be your guide

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom