Star Wars: The Acolyte

Disstevefan1

I really believe he thought he did have the right person to let him control the artistic direction. All while not having to dedicate all his time or use his money. I complain about Kennedy for how she's handling star wars. But I'm not really sure she intentionally bamboozled Lucas. I'd guess it was mostly Iger. He's the one who threw Georges scripts in the trash.

It all seems to point to Iger saying, yea George, we'll buy star wars and you can be the creative consultant, it'll be great. And as George walked out the room, scripts in the trash while under his breath he says sucker. I'd bet Kennedy didn't fight it, but what's she going do? When your boss says we're going in a different direction, you do what you're told.
Its very possible Iger told KK what direction to go. After all, Iger is KKs Boss.

It then begs the question, I thought Iger purchased Star Wars for the boys to have an IP since Disney was princess heavy.

I guess that was not the case.

doctornick

I guess the folks who loved Lucas Star Wars are upset that Lucas Star Wars is gone and is being replaced with Disney Star Wars.

If there is "blame" for that, George Lucas is the only one to blame for that. HE APPOINTED Kathleen Kennedy to takeover when he sold Star Wars to Disney. If he really wanted to maintain his vision he would appointed someone he was sure would do that.

To be fair to George, KK probably yessed George all the way to the moment the sale was official then went in the direction she wanted knowing he (or anyone else) could do nothing to stop it.

And ITS FINE KK went in the direction she wanted to go in, SHE IS THE BOSS.

The simple fact is, Disney Star Wars does not have the mass appeal Lucas Star Wars did.

I am not sure even Lucas could recapture the lighting in the bottle his original Star Wars had today.

None of this addresses the question I asked. In what way is The Acolyte “knowingly created with limited appeal”?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Its very possible Iger told KK what direction to go. After all, Iger is KKs Boss.

It then begs the question, I thought Iger purchased Star Wars for the boys to have an IP since Disney was princess heavy.

I guess that was not the case.
I think you can lock that one in…

The buck stops at one persons desk only when it comes to “direction”…one with a tiny little rodent behind it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
None of this addresses the question I asked. In what way is The Acolyte “knowingly created with limited appeal”?
This specifically? May not be…

But for the 34,000th time…Star Wars fans are different (I swear)…they look at the totality and with more focus than other pop franchises.

Overall…it’s a mess at the presidio…even when the 4 other guys in the basement with me can’t express it…that’s still what they’re saying.

MEATLOAF!!!

Disstevefan1

I think you can lock that one in…

The buck stops at one persons desk only when it comes to “direction”…one with a tiny little rodent behind it
I guess you are right.

Lets say KK was yessing GL until the sale was final and she was in charge and went her own way.
If Iger did not agree with the direction he had the power to stop it.

Either he told KK what direction to go in OR he saw what direction she was going and let her go, does it matter?

As you say, the buck stops with Iger.

If there is "blame", Iger is to blame, not GL and not KK.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess you are right.

Lets say KK was yessing GL until the sale was final and she was in charge and went her own way.
If Iger did not agree with the direction he had the power to stop it.

Either he told KK what direction to go in OR he saw what direction she was going and let her go, does it matter?

As you say, the buck stops with Iger.

If there is "blame", Iger is to blame, not GL and not KK.
I really think she was in a tough spot…

Caught between a tenure ceo of one of the three biggest media companies…and the 50 year best friend of the person responsible for basically her entire career

doctornick

The limited appeal is the perception that it is aimed at a more female audience I would guess.

I feel like that's the implication, but it seems really odd to me. Okay, the (presumed) lead is a female but the second protagonist is male. The main antagonist is female as well (but kind of has to be based on the nature of the story) and her ally is male; we don't really know about the big bad yet. Of the four Jedi on the target list - one is a human female, two are human males, one is a male Wookie.

I feel like anyone arguing that this show is only aimed at certain groups has to coming in with a slanted prospective or looking to try to be "excluded".

None of this has to do with the quality of the show, which I have thought is kind of mediocre, and if it doesn't appeal to you that's fine. But I don't see why any individual who otherwise liked Star Wars would look at this and say "no this isn't meant for me".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
None of this has to do with the quality of the show, which I have thought is kind of mediocre, and if it doesn't appeal to you that's fine. But I don't see why any individual who otherwise liked Star Wars would look at this and say "no this isn't meant for me".

I think this is the common denominator that we can’t really have an honest conversation about…

The reality is most of what has come out of that studio is bad quality or lacking key elements that drive the fanbase

Disstevefan1

But I don't see why any individual who otherwise liked Star Wars would look at this and say "no this isn't meant for me",
You would have to ask someone, I am sure there are plenty of them out there.

I am not a die-hard SW fan but I did like when Luke appeared in Mando season 2 I think it was?

I am a charter subscriber to D+. I am not going to cancel over the Acolyte. I don't care enough for it to matter.

If Disney wants to burn through hundreds of millions of dollars to create this content, that's their creative choice.

doctornick

You would have to ask someone, I am sure there are plenty of them out there.

I am not a die-hard SW fan but I did like when Luke appeared in Mando season 2 I think it was?

I am a charter subscriber to D+. I am not going to cancel over the Acolyte. I don't care enough for it to matter.

If Disney wants to burn through hundreds of millions of dollars to create this content, that's their creative choice.

I am asking you because you are the one saying that they are making stuff “knowingly created with limited appeal”. I have strong opinions about the quality of SW content under Disney but I don't think I've seen anything live action made that was anything other than intended for broad four quadrant appeal.

(Some animated stuff like Forces of Destiny or Young Jedi Adventures I would agree was geared towards specific groups)

Disstevefan1

I am asking you because you are the one saying that they are making stuff “knowingly created with limited appeal”. I have strong opinions about the quality of SW content under Disney but I don't think I've seen anything live action made that was anything other than intended for broad four quadrant appeal.

(Some animated stuff like Forces of Destiny or Young Jedi Adventures I would agree was geared towards specific groups)
I guess you missed my reply.
You're right, they did not intend to create content with limited appeal.

Doesn't matter to me.

For the record, I really like "Big Shot" , a D+ series Iger removed.
It was about a all girl basket ball team and I am not even a basketball fan. I just like the premise and I like whats his name from Full House, and the series hooked me.
1718649787050.png

I also like the D+ series, The Mighty Ducks, also cancelled by Iger.

Iger keeps cancelling series that were written for me. 🤣

doctornick

I guess you missed my reply.
You're right, they did not intend to create content with limited appeal.

Doesn't matter to me.

For the record, I really like "Big Shot" , a D+ series Iger removed.
It was about a all girl basket ball team and I am not even a basketball fan. I just like the premise and I like whats his name from Full House, and the series hooked me.
View attachment 792629

I also like the D+ series, The Mighty Ducks, also cancelled by Iger.

Iger keeps cancelling series that were written for me. 🤣

I liked Big Shot too actually and was disappointed to see it removed (any content removed, really).

But again, you seem to be implying that The Acolyte in some way has "limited appeal". I still have zero idea what you mean by that unless you are saying that it is simply not high enough quality to appeal to more people. Which is kind of "duh" that better programming gets more viewers. And certainly isn't unique to Star Wars or any specific property.

Disstevefan1

I liked Big Shot too actually and was disappointed to see it removed (any content removed, really).

But again, you seem to be implying that The Acolyte in some way has "limited appeal". I still have zero idea what you mean by that unless you are saying that it is simply not high enough quality to appeal to more people. Which is kind of "duh" that better programming gets more viewers. and certainly isn't unique to Star Wars or any property
OK, as you wish. The Acolyte was created with the intention of mass appeal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom