Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

asianway

So, Gary Sinise rode RotR today...but HE didn’t have to show up at 5:15 for a Boarding Group! Not cool. So to the Smith family from Minnesota that was the first family to arrive at DHS today and NOT receive a BG, you have Lieutenant Dan to thank, dontcha know? Better luck tomorrow although I understand Pat Sajak wants to ride, so...
I think after all the work he did for the kids to come to WDW he deserves it

Higginbotham587

The rumor is just for Rise of the Resistance.

This makes even less sense and much of my list would still need to be done. Replace all those troopers, Poe’s X wing substantially reworked etc. I honestly think this is smoke blowing. Not Martin blowing the smoke, mind you.

And frankly it’s would be a shame. I’m no fan of the sequel trilogy at all, but Galaxy’s Edge works. The ride has been open for 10 days and I cannot believe there are serious thoughts of reskinning it. Even if there was concern I imagine the rave reviews will have done with the them.

PB Watermelon

I know the leak. It’s really stupid.

And Anakin doing it wasn’t a problem until the how of it was explained many years later. Until RotS it could’ve easily been assumed that Force Ghosts were just Jedi you personally knew and were able to appear to you or something like that.

Overthinking the room. It happens.

PB Watermelon

So, Gary Sinise rode RotR today...but HE didn’t have to show up at 5:15 for a Boarding Group! Not cool. So to the Smith family from Minnesota that was the first family to arrive at DHS today and NOT receive a BG, you have Lieutenant Dan to thank, dontcha know? Better luck tomorrow although I understand Pat Sajak wants to ride, so...

He's done so much for military families, Gary Sinise can ride Rise of the Resistance anytime he damn wants. Should get the Medal of Freedom like Walt, if he hasn't already.

yeti

tenor.gif

That’s the worst part to you? I mean I don’t want to start this debate but, really?

Actually he or she has a point. At some point Star Wars needs to evolve. The Force Awakens felt fresh and original because it washed the bad taste of the prequels out of my mouth and resurrected a look that was more OT-inspired. That's why everyone was doing jumping jacks over the whole "JJ Abrams is bringing back practical effects!!!" thing, myself included. But then Rogue One copied that look...and so did The Last Jedi. I didn't even bother to see Solo in theatres because it looked so aesthetically similar to the three movies that preceded it. I've long thought that the tired art direction is just as relevant to Solo's failure as the aimless storytelling of the ST.

The expensively-rusty, Jim Henson-y practical effects-driven OT-esque aesthetic simultaneously looks tremendous and has worn out its welcome. It works on The Mandalorian but somehow, it has become boring to look at on the big screen. Just imagine if we got a Star Wars movie set 100...heck, 1000 years into the future. Or the past? It's tantalizing to think about because it would look so alien.

Disneyson

I would recommend everyone listen to the Inside Disney podcast speaking time the Creative Director of RotR. He speaks nearly the entire time about the original trilogy, and it’s clear to tell that Disney (as a company that pushes narratives) wants us to remember the original trilogy fondly and perhaps keep the newer trilogy in shadow. Disney would surely not allow him to talk about the ride like that if they did not want to influence super fans towards nostalgia for the original trilogy, and the suggestion that this attraction has some original trilogy roots.

For me, it’s the closest he can come to outright saying “I was forced to modify this attraction design for somebody higher up than me, and I still hope that we can overlay the attraction back to how I wanted it.”

Personally, I haven’t ridden, but I like the sequel trilogy just fine, but that’s my opinion. It would be nice to have some real personality and interpersonal play in these characters though. By introducing so many new characters in the last episode, I feel like we learned so much more about them than we did about our heroes - I hope that changes...

Bleed0range

Actually he or she has a point. At some point Star Wars needs to evolve. The Force Awakens felt fresh and original because it washed the bad taste of the prequels out of my mouth and resurrected a look that was more OT-inspired. That's why everyone was doing jumping jacks over the whole "JJ Abrams is bringing back practical effects!!!" thing, myself included. But then Rogue One copied that look...and so did The Last Jedi. I didn't even bother to see Solo in theatres because it looked so aesthetically similar to the three movies that preceded it. I've long thought that the tired art direction is just as relevant to Solo's failure as the aimless storytelling of the ST.

The expensively-rusty, Jim Henson-y practical effects-driven OT-esque aesthetic simultaneously looks tremendous and has worn out its welcome. It works on The Mandalorian but somehow, it has become boring to look at on the big screen. Just imagine if we got a Star Wars movie set 100...heck, 1000 years into the future. Or the past? It's tantalizing to think about because it would look so alien.

The prequels actually did steer the look of the universe in new directions. The Naboo craft looked futuristic compared to what the fighters looked like in the OT. The reason you feel this way about Disney is because they are afraid to steer SW in any direction other than the familiar. Right down to making sure everything is inspired by Ralp Mcquarrie. While this is a noble avenue to take, it’s not like George only ever stuck to his vision alone from an artistic perspective. They’re afraid to deviate at all.

Somehow they simultaneously have forgotten to incorporate any alien species we would recognize or that have color to them. You would think we would see more Rodians, Ithorians, etc. I am surprised they didn’t even try to go down the route of having any major characters as aliens ala Jabba, etc. in the ST. Yet somehow they’ve managed to push the boundaries on characters we love like Luke to the point of making him unrecognizable. This ST is a mess. It feels like it lacks any one person guiding it and it does.

Bleed0range

Luke basically became Yoda - ran away and hid when things went south.

Yoda didn’t go there all angry about the Jedi and simply to die. Yoda actually couldn’t fight off the emperor. I’m pretty sure Luke knew he could take Kylo. He was mad at himself. Big difference. Out of character to have zero hope in Kylo’s redemption after the hope he had in his father who literally caused mass genocide and murdered children. Kylo hasn’t even done half of what Vader did.

Rich Brownn

Yoda didn’t go there all angry about the Jedi and simply to die. Yoda actually couldn’t fight off the emperor. I’m pretty sure Luke knew he could take Kylo. He was mad at himself. Big difference. Out of character to have zero hope in Kylo’s redemption after the hope he had in his father who literally caused mass genocide and murdered children. Kylo hasn’t even done half of what Vader did.
He felt he created Kylo. He was ashamed, and felt he could not longer trust his instinct or The Force. Yoda simply went to a swamp and waited 800 years to die dramatically on a cliffhanger. (Seriously, he couldn't have brought up that Leia was his sister in all that time, waiting until his last breath?)

Bleed0range

He felt he created Kylo. He was ashamed, and felt he could not longer trust his instinct or The Force. Yoda simply went to a swamp and waited 800 years to die dramatically on a cliffhanger. (Seriously, he couldn't have brought up that Leia was his sister in all that time, waiting until his last breath?)

He didn’t want to tell Luke because he didn’t want Vader to know. Vader figures it out when Luke’s feelings betray him. Making Leia a target for the emperor.

Maybe Luke felt ashamed, but I think they didn’t let his character learn from this mistake and truly get a chance to turn himself around. He should have left the island at some point and took action realizing the error of his ways. The way they did it was awful imo.

PB Watermelon

That whole Dumbledore thing...if you explain it to the protagonist, you're going to screw it up. Merlin lives backwards, so he knows what's going to happen, but knows if he tells Arthur what's gonna go down, it's gonna screw with Arthur and and Arthur won't be able to complete his journey. Oh, and the whole reality of storytelling when you're essentially seeing people making stories up as they go.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder how much of the talk about introducing OT characters into SW:GE was a direct response to the less than stellar reception in CA when the land first opened? I’m sure there were quite a number of panicked discussions on what the options were to fix things, especially if RoTR opening also bombed. I also wonder if those discussions will be tabled or at least delayed now that RoTR appears to be a pretty big success from its limited opening run. They may want to see the operations stabilize and also see a successful opening in CA, but if both those things happen does it make any sense to change the ride? Even if it’s a quick, easy and relatively cheap overlay?

Mike S

Well, Rogue One was directly set in that era so 🤷‍♂️
The prequels actually did steer the look of the universe in new directions. The Naboo craft looked futuristic compared to what the fighters looked like in the OT. The reason you feel this way about Disney is because they are afraid to steer SW in any direction other than the familiar. Right down to making sure everything is inspired by Ralp Mcquarrie. While this is a noble avenue to take, it’s not like George only ever stuck to his vision alone from an artistic perspective. They’re afraid to deviate at all.

Somehow they simultaneously have forgotten to incorporate any alien species we would recognize or that have color to them. You would think we would see more Rodians, Ithorians, etc. I am surprised they didn’t even try to go down the route of having any major characters as aliens ala Jabba, etc. in the ST. Yet somehow they’ve managed to push the boundaries on characters we love like Luke to the point of making him unrecognizable. This ST is a mess. It feels like it lacks any one person guiding it and it does.
What’s funny is they went all in for the OT look but what we really loved were the characters and how they played on one another which for me has barely happened with the new characters at all. Ship designs and stuff were never really part of the PT criticism as far as I can tell. It was the terrible and cringey dialogue.
I wonder how much of the talk about introducing OT characters into SW:GE was a direct response to the less than stellar reception in CA when the land first opened? I’m sure there were quite a number of panicked discussions on what the options were to fix things, especially if RoTR opening also bombed. I also wonder if those discussions will be tabled or at least delayed now that RoTR appears to be a pretty big success from its limited opening run. They may want to see the operations stabilize and also see a successful opening in CA, but if both those things happen does it make any sense to change the ride? Even if it’s a quick, easy and relatively cheap overlay?
Who really knows.

Magenta Panther

It could happen within a year. Let me stress no decision has been made yet.

I still don't like SW being in Disney parks, but if the ride is rethemed to the OT I'd totally considering riding it. UNLESS we get geriatric Han Solo/Leia/Luke instead of the way they were in the OT. That's when they were fun. That's when they were great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom