Star Wars Land

tl77

I'm not really a Star Wars fan myself, but in terms of art direction they are some of the best looking sci-fi movies ever made, all the stuff, the helmets, the spaceships... it all not only looks great but has a kind of timeless-ness to it. If you look at all the other sci-fi films and an TV shows from the late 70's, like Buck Rogers, Battlestar, the first Star Trek Motion Picture... they all look like the came from the late 1970's.

So just in terms of building a themed land around something set in the future, I think the look of Star Wars makes it a pretty good choice you'll never have to worry about it going out of style visually, and since it's been popular for over 35 years I don't think people are going to get tired of it any time soon

NoChesterHester

If no one minds my asking, what year were all of you Star Wars fans born?

I am just wondering because I'm thinking how popular Star Wars really is and if it really warrants a whole new land expansion (in addition to the existing ride we already have). Being born in the 90s, I really have not had any interest in Star Wars. Same with other people my age. Most of us think as the film as being cheesy.

Now I know there is a fanbase for Star Wars (there is for everything) but I did not think it was that big. Big enough that it would be popular with theme park goers. From the inside of the Star Wars fandom it may seem like Star Wars is super popular but from the outside looking in it appears that Star Wars is just a past cultural icon.

Would adding the whole land be overkill in reality and bring in as many people as they think? I know a new film is coming out and I'm sure Disney would not greenlight the project until after the film is released to see how popular it is. However, would it be overkill to add a whole new land when we already have a ride based on the series?

Zeitgeist - Star Wars is part of our culture - our consciousness. It has bridged three generations and the franchise is now

The fact that it is the single most valuable IP on earth (when merch is taken into account) doesn't hurt either.

StarWarsGirl

I am just wondering because I'm thinking how popular Star Wars really is and if it really warrants a whole new land expansion (in addition to the existing ride we already have). Being born in the 90s, I really have not had any interest in Star Wars. Same with other people my age. Most of us think as the film as being cheesy.

Now I know there is a fanbase for Star Wars (there is for everything) but I did not think it was that big. Big enough that it would be popular with theme park goers. From the inside of the Star Wars fandom it may seem like Star Wars is super popular but from the outside looking in it appears that Star Wars is just a past cultural icon.

Would adding the whole land be overkill in reality and bring in as many people as they think? I know a new film is coming out and I'm sure Disney would not greenlight the project until after the film is released to see how popular it is. However, would it be overkill to add a whole new land when we already have a ride based on the series?
Really? I was born in 1995, didn't see the films until I was 14, and I love them. I don't think that most people your age feel that way. In fact, I've got quite a few friends who like Star Wars but when I mentioned the idea of an entire land to them, they said, "Oh, that would be awesome!" The fact is that it does have a large draw, and even those who have not seen the films can enjoy it. My dad has never seen Cars, but he enjoyed Carsland. Star Wars is classic and it has much more of a draw than, say, Avatar

BUZZCRUSH

Gosh I'm 45 and saw the original star wars when it came out when I was 10, I now have a 12 and 5 year old and they both love star wars. The story and characters will endure forever unlike Avatar which I can say we saw once but have no interest in re-living the tale like we do with star wars

El Grupo

Gosh I'm 45 and saw the original star wars when it came out when I was 10, I now have a 12 and 5 year old and they both love star wars. The story and characters will endure forever unlike Avatar which I can say we saw once but have no interest in re-living the tale like we do with star wars

I'm in the same boat: in my 40s, became a big fan when Episodes IV - VI were first released and now have two boys (10 and 6) that love all things Star Wars.

A Star Wars land would obviously appeal to the many fans of the movies. However, as we have seen with Potter at Universal, I suspect a well executed addition based on Lucas' space western can appeal to those that don't really care for the franchise.

On several occasions, I've seen posts here from folks that haven't seen any of the movies featuring the boy wizard or read the books. But, they rave about the land at IoA. My guess is that Disney would see the same results with SW at DHS.

n2hifi

I was born in 1970 and generally loved the movies when they came out. I had a few action figures but not over the top. I bought the VHS tapes, then the SE VHS tapes, then the DVD's and now the Blu-Ray's so I have seem the movies hundreds of times. I guess I am enough of a fan that like this site could rip them apart for what Lucas did wrong. However, he did a lot right as others have said about attention to details and special effects. Haven't ever worn a costume or gone to a fan event though. As an AV engineer I respect what he did for the medium and THX. I got my DD5 interested in them and she has some action figures, lego figures etc. I don't really like the new ones but appreciate the effects. I have never seen Clone Wars but wish I had time to get into it since it is well received. My DD5's friends in PreSchool are all about Star Wars though so it might have skipped a generation or two in there. Star Tours was her second favorite ride in WDW behind Splash Mountain.

All of that said I would like to see a Star Wars land in WDW (but not Tomorrowland since Star Wars took place in the past). I think the IP is strong enough to support it.

As a side note I think tying that much infrastructure to an IP can be dangerous because like you many don't like it or don't get it. I am that way with several of the tie-ins in the parks so I will not partake in those rides. You keep it neutral like Figment and most will ride it. I hear P&F and I'm prone to avoid the whole park.

sublimesting

I think that maybe you think you are in the majority because of your group of friends but the fact is Star Wars is wildly popular and has been for 36 years. The FX in the movies actually hold up extremely well and are not cheesy at all. Plus, you have to look at it from a whole...not just the original films but the prequels, Clone Wars series, and the new Rebels series and new movies coming up. The fact that you think Disney would wait until after the film is out to greenlight a project because there may be a chance of failure shows how disconnected your thinking is. I'm not trying to insult you but I think it is very telling as to where you're coming from. It's going to be a smash mega hit the likes we have never seen before...and here's why: Not only do we have the original fanbase, and the fanbase from when the prequels were released we also have an additional 15 years worth of fans which is 25% more fanage!!!

CinematicFusion

Orange Harvest: D23 Hints At Disney's Plans For New Star Wars Theme Park Experiences
Posted by Eric on August 9, 2013 at 09:08 AM CST | 0 Comments
As Disney's D23 Expo gets underway, two Disney fan sites, Inside the Magic and MiceChat, have posted reports that suggest interesting things in the works for Star Wars experiences at Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

Inside the Magic interviewed Jason Surrell, an Imagineer (a.k.a. theme park designer) at The Walt Disney Company, and they noticed a set of crates stacked behind him that featured Star Wars-themed markings, including the label "ORANGE HARVEST" (seen above). One of the crates (also seen above) was marked "LIGHTSABER ASSORTMENT" and apparently contained six blue lightsabers, five green lightsabers, and one purple lightsaber. Another crate featured a hole in the side that was shaped like an R2 astromech droid. Still other crates referenced blue milk, C-3PO, and thermal detonators. "We've been receiving these mysterious shipments from all over the galaxy," Surrell told Inside the Magic during their interview, which took place in front of the crates. "We're really not sure what's inside them."

Couple this intriguing development with the report from MiceChat, which says the following about plans to remake Disneyland's Tomorowland area (emphasis ours):
The first phase is planned to get underway this winter with the closing of Captain EO and major “placemaking” work on the existing buildings that mostly date from 1967. The 15 months of work would wrap up by early spring 2015 in time for the 60th, and leave a new Star Wars 3D movie in the old Captain EO theater, new destinations programmed into Star Tours based on the seventh Star Wars movie to be released in summer 2015, and a freshened aesthetic to the buildings surrounding Space Mountain. Once the 60th Anniversary begins to wind down, the real work begins on plans to build a Star Wars speeder bike coaster on the old PeopleMover tracks, plus more Star Wars eye candy and freshened facilities throughout the land.

If this is true...we will not see the Star Wars Speeder Bike Coaster completed until 2018 if judging by past construction on the mine train. It's taken the mine train 3 years to complete?

WDWFREAK53

I
So just in terms of building a themed land around something set in the future, I think the look of Star Wars makes it a pretty good choice you'll never have to worry about it going out of style visually, and since it's been popular for over 35 years I don't think people are going to get tired of it any time soon

Exactly...considering Star Wars was set "a long long time ago."

PeterAlt

Fantasia 2000 is terrific. Nothing like Cinderella 2 or the SW Prequels at all
I wish people would stop dissing the SW prequels! Okay, Phantom Menace is probably the worst of all six, but Revenge of the Sith is the second or third best of all six!

PeterAlt

Exactly...considering Star Wars was set "a long long time ago."
Unless eps. 7-9, the TV series, the independent movies... disappoints and overkills, then people will be as sick of it like we are sick of Titanic!

(And Titanic was just one over-played over-hyped movie!)

PeterAlt

No. It's not. Not even remotely close.
Return of the Jedi turned out disastrous. It was way too dark - not in story, but how the film actually came out! I have the Blu-ray editions of the original trilogy. A New Hope is nostalgic but the recent editing seems to skip a beat and is not as "poetic" as the original. Empire is just incredible for a movie made in 1980 and the recent editing there makes it even more perfect (if possible). Jedi is just a dark mess... Don't know what happened but it could have come out differently.

GLaDOS

Return of the Jedi turned out disastrous. It was way too dark - not in story, but how the film actually came out! I have the Blu-ray editions of the original trilogy. A New Hope is nostalgic but the recent editing seems to skip a beat and is not as "poetic" as the original. Empire is just incredible for a movie made in 1980 and the recent editing there makes it even more perfect (if possible). Jedi is just a dark mess... Don't know what happened but it could have come out differently.

Yea, no. I mean, just...no.

No prequel can come close to any of the originals. They're poor. They look poor. They're shot poorly. They're scripted poorly. They're acted poorly.

They're just crappy, crappy films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom