Star Wars Land

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I ran across this patent from 2012 http://www.google.com/patents/US20130032053. It could be used for an enclosed coaster for Star Wars, Avatar or heaven forbid an original attraction.

These ride vehicles would be on a regular or suspended coaster track as in the drawing linked below.

Personally, I would like to see the speeder bikes with the dome concept with physical set and some projections.

on regular track:
http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US20130032053A1/US20130032053A1-20130207-D00007.png

on a suspended track:
http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US20130032053A1/US20130032053A1-20130207-D00008.png

Updated suspended track image link

Taylor

Interesting. The name Star Wars Attack Squadrons sounds more like a show or a video game, but who knows it could end up being park related.

Festivus

Interesting. The name Star Wars Attack Squadrons sounds more like a show or a video game, but who knows it could end up being park related.
It also is a nice generic theme parking sounding ride like "Star Tours"... I guess only time will tell...

RSoxNo1

So this was posted over on MiceChat

67618_10151546315864205_318340406_n.jpg

This system looks to be a way to make the CAVE type ride system more efficient. Think of it like Toy Story Mania, but continuously loading, and the vehicles can be shifted out of an omnimover track to individual screens.

SirLink

This system looks to be a way to make the CAVE type ride system more efficient. Think of it like Toy Story Mania, but continuously loading, and the vehicles can be shifted out of an omnimover track to individual screens.

Sounds like a system similar to the one Jim Hill described allowing 2000 guests per hour compete against one another for that Speed Biker attraction.

WDW95

If no one minds my asking, what year were all of you Star Wars fans born?

I am just wondering because I'm thinking how popular Star Wars really is and if it really warrants a whole new land expansion (in addition to the existing ride we already have). Being born in the 90s, I really have not had any interest in Star Wars. Same with other people my age. Most of us think as the film as being cheesy.

Now I know there is a fanbase for Star Wars (there is for everything) but I did not think it was that big. Big enough that it would be popular with theme park goers. From the inside of the Star Wars fandom it may seem like Star Wars is super popular but from the outside looking in it appears that Star Wars is just a past cultural icon.

Would adding the whole land be overkill in reality and bring in as many people as they think? I know a new film is coming out and I'm sure Disney would not greenlight the project until after the film is released to see how popular it is. However, would it be overkill to add a whole new land when we already have a ride based on the series?

twebber55

I am just wondering because I'm thinking how popular Star Wars really is and if it really warrants a whole new land expansion (in addition to the existing ride we already have). Being born in the 90s, I really have not had any interest in Star Wars. Same with other people my age. Most of us think as the film as being cheesy.

Now I know there is a fanbase for Star Wars (there is for everything) but I did not think it was that big. Big enough that it would be popular with theme park goers. From the inside of the Star Wars fandom it may seem like Star Wars is super popular but from the outside looking in it appears that Star Wars is just a past cultural icon.

Would adding the whole land be overkill in reality and bring in as many people as they think? I know a new film is coming out and I'm sure Disney would not greenlight the project until after the film is released to see how popular it is. However, would it be overkill to add a whole new land when we already have a ride based on the series?
well i do think it goes along with the geeky crowd but obviously it generates lots of money in merchandising and with the new movies maybe a new generation will get into it

|Q|

Martin is right, it looks like a non-trackless (trackwith?) version of the Ratatouille ride they're building in Paris.

480857PlanRatatouilleAttraction02CRDef.jpg

|Q|

The Clone Wars Cartoon Network series was *really* popular, and have you seen how much merchandise does SW move? That mostly stuff sold to under 12 kids.

Since1976

Your post reminds me of the period of time between 1983 (the release of the last of the original trilogy) and 1994 (the release of the first official sequel novel). People still loved STAR WARS during that time, but it was not a hugely marketed property anymore because, well, it was *over*, and George Lucas pretty much abandoned his plans for more movies. It's hard to believe that there were no STAR WARS toys on shelves for YEARS. There are stories of vendors selling STAR WARS toys at conventions and getting weird looks for trying to peddle stuff that was still so recent and actually kind of passé.

So for over a decade, despite a couple of spin-off cartoons and STAR TOURS, STAR WARS did indeed feel like an old, but beloved book that one dusted off to read every once in a while.

That disinterest changed with the promised release of the prequels (announced in 1996), and STAR WARS became bigger than ever in the years leading up to and after THE PHANTOM MENACE (1999). Things lulled somewhat after REVENGE OF THE SITH(2005), but *nothing* like what happened after RETURN OF THE JEDI. The STAR WARS merchandising and spin-off machine didn't disappear after the supposed end of the saga in 2005, and as a result, kids born after Episode III are much more likely to be fans of the movies than those born after Episode VI (I've been to 4 STAR WARS themed kids' birthday parties in 6 months).

The enthusiastic reaction to the announcement of EPISODE VII proved that STAR WARS is still popular, which is amazing considering that the most of the prequels were not so well-received. Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm has essentially made STAR WARS a living property which could, like Marvel, go on and get spun-off forever.

With that in mind, in my opinion, if STAR WARS -- which basically defined the modern Hollywood blockbuster and changed movie merchandising forever -- is not worthy of its own land then no other intellectual property is!

Last edited:

khale1970

I was born in 1970 and was probably somewhere in the high side of the middle of the population most in tune with the original trilogy. As I said in another thread, if you weren't around to experience it, it can't truly be appreciated. Star Wars was huge and impossible to ignore. Even if you didn't see the movies, it would have been impossible to avoid being exposed to the characters and plot. The reason it would make financial sense to build a Star Wars land is because those who were most impacted are now between 40 and 50 and are the parents and grandparents paying for the trip. If they want to go, they'll drag their kids and grandkids along with them. If the land is well done, fun and engaging, it won't matter that the source material is cheesy because most will like it any way.

Harry Potter is probably the closest thing to a similar cultural phenomenon today, but it doesn't really come close. I don't say that to diminish Harry Potter, but I'm not certain in the fragmented society we live in today it is possible to have that kind of phenomenon again based on a movie or book. And if I had to guess, I'd say that someone born 18 years after the start of the Harry Potter craze won't really get what it was all about either (although based on the reviews they would like WWOHP). It's just kind of the nature of pop culture that the impact diminishes as culture changes.

Last edited:

DaGoof00

Born in 1987, loved Star Wars as a kid, and still do

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom