Star Wars Land

PeterAlt

Or maybe just some Gamorrian guards...

images

Or maybe there could be an interactive element, where the mechanics of the Falcon could conk out and guests could punch a panel to get everything started again... :p
Future replacement for MyMagic

Texas84

What do you call Swiss Famisly Robinson Tree House, Tom Sawyer's Island, the line for Space Mountain...

Or TSMM, or BTMRR, or every body of water filled with stupid coins. I've seen damage in all of those you mentioned. Some of them have less damage depending on the age they attract. It's a problem in Florida. Not so much in California. Or they have better maintenance in California.

PeterAlt

Or TSMM, or BTMRR, or every body of water filled with stupid coins. I've seen damage in all of those you mentioned. Some of them have less damage depending on the age they attract. It's a problem in Florida. Not so much in California. Or they have better maintenance in California.
One thing I've learned from this site over the past year or so is that DL is better maintained. This is an enigma I've tried to crack and only to learn how true it is and the extreme gap in maintenance quality between the two state-side resort locations.

Rodan75

One thing I've learned from this site over the past year or so is that DL is better maintained. This is an enigma I've tried to crack and only to learn how true it is and the extreme gap in maintenance quality between the two state-side resort locations.

When you read other boards, they pretty say the DLR is in similar shape. Both sides of the country think their park is the worst Disney Park.

lazyboy97o

I don't think so. DLP has been spending on new attractions, but I remember their debt load being a big issue. Perhaps @marni1971 knows more.
One of their big hold ups was that because of the debt, the institutions that held it (the banks) got a say in what they could spend. Last year all of the debt was purchased by The Walt Disney Company which also essentially controls EuroDisney SCA.

AEfx

I think it's a combination of things -

1) Yeah, they simply do more maintenance at Disneyland. Sure, it's a much smaller area - but as far as the parks go, if you divide the WDW park maint by 4 and the Disneyland park maint by 2, my guess is they spend more per park. It's also the flagship of the company - they take a lot more pride in it (even though WDW makes them bundles more money). And they don't have nearly the amount of disgruntled college kids sweeping up the place there as WDW.

2) The weather - while the sun is very destructive to paint, etc. - in Florida they have not only the sun but the rain. It's a joyous occasion in CA when it rains - in Florida, it just means it must be the middle of the afternoon. Rain is extremely destructive, even on paints/materials/etc. designed for it. I had two stained and finished stools that I left outside (long story) and within a week they were deteriorating, and three weeks later they look like they are from a shipwreck because of all the rain we had in the northeast before the current heat wave. This is also why Disneyland has so many generic, amusement-park style switchback metal queues - at WDW, some fans actually think the queue is "just as" important as the ride, and they clearly have never been to Disneyland where queues are a means to get you to the ride, not much more. The ones that are intricate (Indy, for example) are out of necessity - it's ten miles long because they have to get you to the ride which had to be placed so far out of the area to fit it in.

3) More kids. Disneyland doesn't have nearly the little kids running around, trying to wreck everything in sight - and it seems (pure speculation on my part) that WDW has more of the "we paid so friggin much to be here, my kids can do whatever they want" as their kids hack at things with whatever objects they can find.

It's not an excuse, but I understand why it happens.

|Q|

So, I'm getting the impression that Star Wars Land has been greenlit for DLP and its more or less official, absent a formal corporate statement. Correct?

No, nothing has been greelit beyond the Ratatouille attraction that's being built right now. But Philippe Gas stated in a shareholders meeting that "There is indeed a Star Tours / Star Wars project. I've seen preliminary renderings of it, and it's quite extraordinary. But we are just at the start of it."

PeterAlt

No, nothing has been greelit beyond the Ratatouille attraction that's being built right now. But Philippe Gas stated in a shareholders meeting that "There is indeed a Star Tours / Star Wars project. I've seen preliminary renderings of it, and it's quite extraordinary. But we are just at the start of it."
Is Philippe Gas his real name, or is that a play on Pepè la Pu? Just curious.

CinematicFusion

http://screencrush.com/disney-star-wars-plans-d23/

George Lucas previously has said that Disney wants to announce the return of Mark Hamill, Harrison Fordand Carrie Fisher to ‘Star Wars: Episode 7‘ with “some big whoop-dee-doo.” With no ‘Star Wars‘ panel on the schedule at Comic-Con 2013, that leaves Disney’s D23 Expo as the likely landing spot for the major ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′ announcement. And now, Disney has announced their ‘Star Wars’ plans for D23 and there is a LOT going on.
While ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′ is never mentioned by name, Disney officially revealed their D23 ‘Star Wars’ plans and it’s hard to think they won’t have a big surprise for all the ‘Star Wars’ fans in attendance. Here is what has been formally announced so far, with the headline, “Celebrating Disney, Marvel and Star Wars!”
Star Wars at D23 Expo! – For the first time at the D23 Expo, Star Wars fans can have access to experiences created for them by Lucasfilm and Disney. Darth Vader: The Evolution of a Villain, located in the DCP pavilion, showcases the development of the iconic villain from early concepts to striking realization. Crash Course in the Force: Star Wars Saga 101, presented by Lucasfilm’s resident authority Pablo Hidalgo in Stage 23, will give Star Wars newbies and experts alike a thorough grounding in all matters of the Force and the Star Wars legacy.
There will be plenty to do at D23 for ‘Star Wars’ fans and while there’s no official announcement on who from ‘Episode 7′ will be in attendance, you can be that there will never be an official announcement and Disney/Lucasfilm want to surprise the assembled crowd with the cast of the original trilogy (and now, ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′).
With no presence at Comic-Con and a major presence at D23, it’s clear which major summer fan convention Disney is staking their claim to. Though Disney is bringing Marvel to Comic-Con, there are no additional Disney films being shown at Comic-Con as the studio focuses ‘Frozen,’ ‘Muppets 2′ and Pixar at D23.
What kind of announcement would you like to see from Disney and Lucasfilm at D23 besides the casting that we all pretty much know about anyway? Do you think J.J. Abrams will announce any new cast members?

Hope we see a Star Wars Land announcement...find out in August.

|Q|

they should make a build-your-droid shop with a lowered floor behind the counter, so they could have regular sized cast members dressed as Jawas lol

utini!

NoChesterHester

http://screencrush.com/disney-star-wars-plans-d23/

George Lucas previously has said that Disney wants to announce the return of Mark Hamill, Harrison Fordand Carrie Fisher to ‘Star Wars: Episode 7‘ with “some big whoop-dee-doo.” With no ‘Star Wars‘ panel on the schedule at Comic-Con 2013, that leaves Disney’s D23 Expo as the likely landing spot for the major ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′ announcement. And now, Disney has announced their ‘Star Wars’ plans for D23 and there is a LOT going on.
While ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′ is never mentioned by name, Disney officially revealed their D23 ‘Star Wars’ plans and it’s hard to think they won’t have a big surprise for all the ‘Star Wars’ fans in attendance. Here is what has been formally announced so far, with the headline, “Celebrating Disney, Marvel and Star Wars!”
Star Wars at D23 Expo! – For the first time at the D23 Expo, Star Wars fans can have access to experiences created for them by Lucasfilm and Disney. Darth Vader: The Evolution of a Villain, located in the DCP pavilion, showcases the development of the iconic villain from early concepts to striking realization. Crash Course in the Force: Star Wars Saga 101, presented by Lucasfilm’s resident authority Pablo Hidalgo in Stage 23, will give Star Wars newbies and experts alike a thorough grounding in all matters of the Force and the Star Wars legacy.
There will be plenty to do at D23 for ‘Star Wars’ fans and while there’s no official announcement on who from ‘Episode 7′ will be in attendance, you can be that there will never be an official announcement and Disney/Lucasfilm want to surprise the assembled crowd with the cast of the original trilogy (and now, ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′).
With no presence at Comic-Con and a major presence at D23, it’s clear which major summer fan convention Disney is staking their claim to. Though Disney is bringing Marvel to Comic-Con, there are no additional Disney films being shown at Comic-Con as the studio focuses ‘Frozen,’ ‘Muppets 2′ and Pixar at D23.
What kind of announcement would you like to see from Disney and Lucasfilm at D23 besides the casting that we all pretty much know about anyway? Do you think J.J. Abrams will announce any new cast members?

Hope we see a Star Wars Land announcement...find out in August.

Lucasfilm with almost no presence at Comic Con is definitely a Disney move. I wonder what news they will give this far out from the release...

CinematicFusion

Lucasfilm with almost no presence at Comic Con is definitely a Disney move. I wonder what news they will give this far out from the release...

I think D3 is going to hype up the new films. I expect cast announcements and the official return of hamill, fisher, ford. Maybe a clue or two about the direction of the new franchise, they will talk about the new animated show Star Wars: Rebels.
I started thinking this is why we might not hear anything on the parks at D3.
Disney just spent 4 billion on Star Wars and they want the new movie to get all the press headlines and start the early hype build up.

I

AEfx

Makes sense. How many times and for how many years was it rumored that ST 1.0 would be updated??

I think the difference may be now that it's much easier to do so than before.

I'm sure with the new digital projection system and the updates to the ride vehicles that it was built to easily add new segments in to the random mix rather easily, whereas I don't believe it was so easy to reprogram the first one.

It's a perfect way to promote the new films. Personally, I'd also really like them to present the original version, maybe as a special thing at night for Star Wars Weekends. Could just have 3PO have a programming glitch or it could be a 'historical adventure' to explain why it's 3PO and not the original droid.

It really does have limitless possibilities.

The Empress Lilly

New sequences are easy to install, would re-reinvigorate the ride and would please the fans to no end!

Which means chances are pretty slim TWDC will implement it. Then again, they would want to promote Ep VII, so who knows. Hope they don't take sequences out, but will only add a few.

(What a business. Clients paying $100 to sit in a room that shows trailers for your new products. No wonder a certain arrogance creeps in)

PorterRedkey

Could Disney use something like the vehicles in DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea attached to arms that moved the "cockpit" though the scenes? Seems like a link was recently posted to a non-Kuka ride system that could accommodate such an action.

Or the cockpit windows could simply be screens.
I ran across this patent from 2012 http://www.google.com/patents/US20130032053. It could be used for an enclosed coaster for Star Wars, Avatar or heaven forbid an original attraction.

These ride vehicles would be on a regular or suspended coaster track as in the drawing linked below.

Personally, I would like to see the speeder bikes with the dome concept with physical set and some projections.

US20130032053A1-20130207-D00001.png

US20130032053A1-20130207-D00009.png

on regular track:
http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US20130032053A1/US20130032053A1-20130207-D00007.png

on a suspended track:
http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US20130032053A1/US20130032053A1-20130207-D00008.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom