Star Wars Land

From what I have been hearing from a little birdie is when it comes to Star Wars don't think small for an expansion think much bigger.

I dunno. A friend of mine is an Imagineer out in California and he was in town this week and I asked him where exactly Star Wars Land would be expanding and he said Indy, Backlot Express, Sounds Dangerous, most likely Idol, and everything behind Indy. He said Echo Lake, 50s Prime Time, & Hollywood and Vine were saved. That doesn't seem THAT big to me...

twebber55

I dunno. A friend of mine is an Imagineer out in California and he was in town this week and I asked him where exactly Star Wars Land would be expanding and he said Indy, Backlot Express, Sounds Dangerous, most likely Idol, and everything behind Indy. He said Echo Lake, 50s Prime Time, & Hollywood and Vine were saved. That doesn't seem THAT big to me...
that sounds about right..no way they let one IP dominate a park....that would be a good sized addition

doctornick

I'm curious what is meant by "everything behind Indy". If that means a significant use of backstage areas for onstage stuff, then that could be pretty large without using SoA. If that just means that total onstage land is not going to change much then I'd agree that it is a substantial addition but not particularly huge (and would not dominate the park with one IP).

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I'm curious what is meant by "everything behind Indy". If that means a significant use of backstage areas for onstage stuff, then that could be pretty large without using SoA. If that just means that total onstage land is not going to change much then I'd agree that it is a substantial addition but not particularly huge (and would not dominate the park with one IP).

I believe this is roughly the area being considered...

Map1.jpg

Sped2424

Didn't the latest rumor say something about a cantina restaurant happening over at the studios? Which in all honesty I could see happening. They would just upgrade star tours to the new film and then just have the cantina restaurant.

doctornick

Didn't the latest rumor say something about a cantina restaurant happening over at the studios? Which in all honesty I could see happening. They would just upgrade star tours to the new film and then just have the cantina restaurant.

The one item that I feel extremely confident about with regards to a Star Wars expansion is a replica of the Mos Eisley Cantina. It is really the only obvious choice for a food service place to copy in a theme park (the only other food location in Star Wars that I can recall is Dex's Diner on Coruscant, which was not well detailed in the movie and not memorable in any way).

The question about the Cantina is where it would be in DHS. The obvious location is replacing Backlot Express. The one problem with that is that it would be taking a counter service I think they'd want Mos Eisley Catina to be a table service place, so there may not be enough room to do everything they would want. If they wanted to replacing an existing table service, then Mama Melrose is the closest and would require Star Wars taking over the Muppets area. Some have rumored that this will be the case. There's also the Pizza Planet location which could be used if the Muppets area is taken over by Star Wars.

The other option is to build a restaurant anew, which is what Jim Hill suggested when he talked about filling Echo Lake and building Mos Eisley there. That idea has seemed to be debunked on these pages and I tend to be skeptical about it, as there are plenty of existing restaurants to use and TDO seems to want to stretch their money by reusing existing infrastructure not building new buildings.

Captain Neo

After visiting Disneyland for the first time, I'll take a Star Wars land with a side of a cloned Indiana Jones attraction. That would be a great place to spend a day.

I would hope they go further than that and do the full Indiana Jones experience they were planning for Anaheim with a massive show building connecting the Indy Jeep adventure, an inverted mine train coaster, and a walk through attraction with special effects. Come on Disney if you can blow 2+ billion on RFID tags you can spend to build a legendary attraction that will keep guests happy for decades.

NoChesterHester

The one item that I feel extremely confident about with regards to a Star Wars expansion is a replica of the Mos Eisley Cantina. It is really the only obvious choice for a food service place to copy in a theme park (the only other food location in Star Wars that I can recall is Dex's Diner on Coruscant, which was not well detailed in the movie and not memorable in any way).

The question about the Cantina is where it would be in DHS. The obvious location is replacing Backlot Express. The one problem with that is that it would be taking a counter service I think they'd want Mos Eisley Catina to be a table service place, so there may not be enough room to do everything they would want. If they wanted to replacing an existing table service, then Mama Melrose is the closest and would require Star Wars taking over the Muppets area. Some have rumored that this will be the case. There's also the Pizza Planet location which could be used if the Muppets area is taken over by Star Wars.

The other option is to build a restaurant anew, which is what Jim Hill suggested when he talked about filling Echo Lake and building Mos Eisley there. That idea has seemed to be debunked on these pages and I tend to be skeptical about it, as there are plenty of existing restaurants to use and TDO seems to want to stretch their money by reusing existing infrastructure not building new buildings.

The cost to build a restaurant is largely driven by plumbing and electrical. If the gas lines are there and a grease trap exists, then a counter service location could easily be converted into a full service location. Kitchen equipment isn't cheap, but adding in the infrastructure where it doesn't exist in a large theme park would be far more costly then a couple hoods and fryers.

Captain Neo

American Graffiti is actually owned by Universal which is why there is a Mel's Dinner based on the movie right at the Park's hub area. THX 1138 is obviously not not appropriate for a theme park project.

However, it would be cool to see Captain Eo, Labyrinth, and Willow characters in like a parade or something or part of the land's soundtrack. Lucasfilm also has a new fantasy film under development and they should take advantage of cross promotion and build a nice family dark ride or boat ride or something for that. As much as I love Star Wars I would really like a wider use of the Lucasfilm library.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Let's hope Disney goes the "Lucasfilm Studios" route instead of simply shoving a SW land into the park; otherwise DHS will never have a firm identity.

As long as they can forget about Howard the Duck and Willow I would be excited about a Lucasfilm Studios area of the park but tend to believe they will go with a singular Star Wars Land to simplify the marketing angle and provide a very strong focus on the entire area of the park.

Both Indiana Jones and Star Wars provide quite a few locations/options for attractions and dining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom