Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I assume it is correct to assume that the structure seen highlighted in the red boxes in the below images are the same structure? The two NearMap images were taken within a few days of each other. On one hand the two images show how much further ahead the Disneyland project is (though admittedly, a lot of the work on the Disneyland project that is so far along seems to be more related to RoA and not SWL), but for the highlighted component, this element (that some following the Disneyland construction have dubbed "the swimming pool") has structure and walls at DL but only seems to have initial pilings at DHS. Even still, when you compare the two images, it's stunning how much it appears that these will be VERY close to 100% clones as when you line up this one structure, the entrances at DL near Thunder Mountain and in Critter Country line up just about perfectly with what would appear to be where the entrances at DHS will be from TSL and SoA respectively...

View attachment 172982 View attachment 172983

Yes, they are the same structure and will be part of the battle ride. The assumption is some sort of basement level that will hold ride equipment since the actual show building will be larger then that. The DL one doesn't actually finishes walls yet, they are just temporary retaining walls but they were done a different way then the DHS one.

roj2323

Will SWL have a quick service place? Or will pizza Rizzo and TSL take care of that...?
You can bet on it. Actually I'd like to think there will something like DAK's Harambe Market plus at least one sit-down restaurant. This is of corse in addition to the Cantina that's been talked about for years unless they are going to try and dual purpose the cantina as the restaurant.

roj2323

I assume it is correct to assume that the structure seen highlighted in the red boxes in the below images are the same structure? The two NearMap images were taken within a few days of each other. On one hand the two images show how much further ahead the Disneyland project is (though admittedly, a lot of the work on the Disneyland project that is so far along seems to be more related to RoA and not SWL), but for the highlighted component, this element (that some following the Disneyland construction have dubbed "the swimming pool") has structure and walls at DL but only seems to have initial pilings at DHS. Even still, when you compare the two images, it's stunning how much it appears that these will be VERY close to 100% clones as when you line up this one structure, the entrances at DL near Thunder Mountain and in Critter Country line up just about perfectly with what would appear to be where the entrances at DHS will be from TSL and SoA respectively...

View attachment 172982 View attachment 172983

I played with these two images a little. I made sure they were the same scale by comparing pickup trucks in the photos. This works out as the Utah shaped hole is roughly the same size.

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 3.39.24 PM.png

Now I realize both projects have slightly different requirements but it's kinda cool how one fits with the other so well.

jt04

I played with these two images a little. I made sure they were the same scale by comparing pickup trucks in the photos. This works out as the Utah shaped hole is roughly the same size.

View attachment 173042

Now I realize both projects have slightly different requirements but it's kinda cool how one fits with the other so well.

Very cool. The tortoise gains on the hare.

dstrawn9889

View attachment 173042

i would think that they would go vertical in FL since the water table is about 18 inches below the surface

JLipnick

I thought I saw that there is now a crane onsite in the new SWL? Is that true? also, is there a way for a normal person to view the nearmap aerials? do i just need to sign up? I would love to be able to view those images.

Goofyernmost

Looks like the crane is setup with a pile driver...

View attachment 173463
What's a pile driver?
That indicates very little more then what they have had to do for just about every structure on the WDW grounds. They have to drive the pilings down to bedrock or some other solid footing area to have a solid foundation to build on. The Water table as high as it is in that area of Florida needs to have something rigid to build on or things would eventually just sink out of sight. I don't remember the numbers, but, didn't they have to drive pilings massive distances down for structures like SSE?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom