Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

I don't think they would have routed the conveyor over to the new parking area if most of the fill was going into SWL. The are where the new parking is going is wetlands and also has a retention pond in it all of which will need fill.
Where do you see that. All I see is the conveyor going to the new construction bridge on the back side of SWL. It doesn't really matter, fill is going to be needed in both places probably. Any pictures I have seen show the cleared area for the parking lot and it was not in the retention or wetland area directly. In fact, it looked pretty dry. It only seems logical that they aren't going to be able to build up all those berms to hide the land with belly button lint. Why is it important which site gets the most?

Goofyernmost

Most of (likely all) of the dirt will be used for the parking area. That lot is being built over swamp land so will need a lot of fill. Most likely any dirt needed for the berms in SWL will be trucked in.
Not sure what makes either of those possibilities "most likely", but they don't build a structure like that for just a shovel or two full of dirt. I think it is probably going to be used for both, but, swamp or no swamp the majority seems to me to be needed for the berms and if they have to raise the level of the ground for the attractions, then even more. Again... WDW is all swamp. The cleared out that parking lot area really clean. That is hard to do in a real wetland. The show buildings are going only a few hundred yards away from the alleged "swamp". Are you thinking that they will find 20+ feet of sand in that area allowing them to just dig down and get the needed space and landfill?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Where do you see that. All I see is the conveyor going to the new construction bridge on the back side of SWL. It doesn't really matter, fill is going to be needed in both places probably. Any pictures I have seen show the cleared area for the parking lot and it was not in the retention or wetland area directly. In fact, it looked pretty dry. It only seems logical that they aren't going to be able to build up all those berms to hide the land with belly button lint. Why is it important which site gets the most?

First picture shows the final configuration of the conveyor. The red in the second picture shows all the wet lands that need to be filled. As for why it's important, in the grand scheme of things it's not just like 99% of the other things we discuss on the boards, but since we are discussing construction at a Disney park, it is relevant to that discussion.

upload_2016-10-30_19-38-6.png

upload_2016-10-30_19-39-14.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not sure what makes either of those possibilities "most likely", but they don't build a structure like that for just a shovel or two full of dirt. I think it is probably going to be used for both, but, swamp or no swamp the majority seems to me to be needed for the berms and if they have to raise the level of the ground for the attractions, then even more. Again... WDW is all swamp. The cleared out that parking lot area really clean. That is hard to do in a real wetland. The show buildings are going only a few hundred yards away from the alleged "swamp". Are you thinking that they will find 20+ feet of sand in that area allowing them to just dig down and get the needed space and landfill?

The new parking area is not currently a swamp, it's a wetland, two different things. Here is how a wetland is defined:

"Within wetland areas, the water table is at, near, or above the land surface for significant portions of most
years. Soils are very poorly drained and are high in organic and mineral content."

BrianLo

Looks like they have started on the Battle ride show building. They are driving in sheet pile which indicates to me that there will be at least some excavation.

View attachment 172270

In a maybe Spirit and JT can meet half-way compromise - DL was doing this only three months ago.

I'm registering my vote for 6 months after DL. Not simultaneous and not 2020. Which I think was always the original (non-hyperbole) rumour.

Goofyernmost

The new parking area is not currently a swamp, it's a wetland, two different things. Here is how a wetland is defined:

"Within wetland areas, the water table is at, near, or above the land surface for significant portions of most
years. Soils are very poorly drained and are high in organic and mineral content."
Thanks, I do know the difference, but, unlike all of you obsessive people I don't really care. Since all you guys know what is going to happen before it even happens... I will let you define it. I've wasted enough of my short life on it as it is. You believe what you read and hear, I believe what I see.

jt04

He cares, because if they open together, or even WDW first then it advances his agenda that "insiders" are spreading dis-information in an organized attempt to destroy WDW.

They are not trying to destroy WDW. They just have to discredit Iger et al or forever have their foolishness immortalized in Steve's archives. Which is why they sound increasingly desperate. They realize they have been wrong all along.

jt04

Or perhaps... half baked. I don't care if you follow it or not, but, please don't pretend that any of us care if you are right or not. It will not open one second sooner then they want it to, so there are no winners. We have no control over the pace and whatever the outcome, it will be what ever it is or was planned to be. Ask yourself when the last time was that Disney completed a project on time or early. That should give you your answer right there.

"Any of us"? Hmmmm. So now you assume to speak for everyone?

Explains a lot.

Goofyernmost

"Any of us"? Hmmmm. So now you assume to speak for everyone?

Explains a lot.
Really? It must be subtle because I am at a loss to figure out what it explains about me other then I understand figures of speech. Oh, well, live in your delusional world if you must. I've got a life of my own to deal with!

TP2000

That really does show how there is room between the Star Wars footprint and TSMM/GMR for an expansion pad, as Martin has indicated.

Quite interestingly, it's also in the same place that Disneyland's expansion pad is located on Micechat's famous map from 2015; just beyond the Millenium Falcon ride warehouse.

StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

That's probably around the depth of the one at DL. I tried to find a picture of the DL pit with something to use as a height reference but I haven't found anything. You were right about the pond/canal so I will take you word for it on the depth, but the sheet pile just doesn't look long enough for that. Using the frame of the town hall building as a reference, those piles appear to only be around 30' and you would have at least half the height completely underground.

These photos were taken three days ago at Disneyland from the parking structure. By my estimation, and using the trucks and workers seen in the shots, the pit at Disneyland is currently at least 30 feet deep. From MintCrocodile's excellent weekly blog... http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/

i-D3rVzFT-XL.png

Closer up on the pit... It's very deep. 30 feet? 50 feet?
i-ZRk4fvZ-XL.png

Speaking of that expansion pad that appears to be duplicated both for DHS and Disneyland, at Disneyland they have now installed a small campus of work trailers on the expansion pad area. I imagine contractors, and perhaps Imagineers, are working out of these trailers and temporary buildings.
i-pGhBZqK-XL.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thanks, I do know the difference, but, unlike all of you obsessive people I don't really care. Since all you guys know what is going to happen before it even happens... I will let you define it. I've wasted enough of my short life on it as it is. You believe what you read and hear, I believe what I see.
Quite interestingly, it's also in the same place that Disneyland's expansion pad is located on Micechat's famous map from 2015; just beyond the Millenium Falcon ride warehouse.

StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

These photos were taken three days ago at Disneyland from the parking structure. By my estimation, and using the trucks and workers seen in the shots, the pit at Disneyland is currently at least 30 feet deep. From MintCrocodile's excellent weekly blog... http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/

i-D3rVzFT-XL.png

Closer up on the pit... It's very deep. 30 feet? 50 feet?
i-ZRk4fvZ-XL.png

It's hard to get a true estimate since you can't see the bottom of the pit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom