Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The difference being that the Hogwarts is worth it unlike a cupcake party and since I have an AP it's not an up charge. The point has also been brought up before that park to park tickets are the more popular option among visitors anyway.

I have no problem with what Uni did here to be honest...but lets all be honest and say that if Disney did something like this there would be a lot more shouts about a money grab around here. And I guess this is understandable given the recent influx of upcharge packages, but is no less hypocritical.

djkidkaz

Large crane now on site.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mike S

I have no problem with what Uni did here to be honest...but lets all be honest and say that if Disney did something like this there would be a lot more shouts about a money grab around here. And I guess this is understandable given the recent influx of upcharge packages, but is no less hypocritical.
If Disney did it in a way that made sense like how we travel between Hogsmeade and London there would be no peep from me at least.

Goofyernmost

The difference being that the Hogwarts is worth it unlike a cupcake party and since I have an AP it's not an up charge. The point has also been brought up before that park to park tickets are the more popular option among visitors anyway.
Depends on who you are. I don't want to ride Harry Potter (the coaster), but, I would like to ride the train. Problem is, unless, I graciously spend money to visit both ends I cannot do so. I can go to the original or I can go to Diagon, but, I cannot ride the train without multi park tickets. So it costs just to ride that one specific ride. I don't see that as anything other then a money grab. It may well be the most popular option, but, it is now a forced option if you want to take one specific ride. And you don't even get a cupcake.

How would that be different then Disney putting half of Star Wars in DHS and the other half in Epcot. Then saying you have to have a park hopper to get from one to the other on the same day. Man wouldn't the phone lines light up then. Actually, it makes Disney look like rank amateurs when it comes to up-charging.

Last edited:

Mike S

Depends on who you are. I don't want to ride Harry Potter (the coaster), but, I would like to ride the train. Problem is, unless, I graciously spend money to visit both ends I cannot do so. I can go to the original or I can go to Diagon, but, I cannot ride the train without multi park tickets. So it costs just to ride that one specific ride. I don't see that as anything other then a money grab. It may well be the most popular option, but, it is now a forced option if you want to take one specific ride. And you don't even get a cupcake.

How would that be different then Disney putting half of Star Wars in DHS and the other half in Epcot. Then saying you have to have a park hopper to get from one to the other on the same day. Man wouldn't the phone lines light up then. Actually, it makes Disney look like rank amateurs when it comes to up-charging.
When Universal cuts quality and yet still increases prices then we'll talk. Disney still holds the crown.

JediMasterMatt

A couple of quick points -

If the Battle/Adventure/Resistance/First Order/Attack/Alcatraz attraction doesn't open as the most impressive attraction that's ever been attempted from a technological perspective, then we can lose all hope for the future of Imagineering. It is the attraction we've all been waiting for. The bar is set high for this one and thus far... even budget conscious Disney is still set to deliver on it. As Martin said, if it doesn't open as the best or one of the best attractions in the world, it's failed. The greatest attribute of what I feel this attractions strength will be in that the scope/scale of it should be a surprise.

The Falcon is a bit of a stranger bird (puns intended) to pin down because no matter how well it will execute the ride's goals... it's still going to be exactly what you expect. Everyone should have a good idea of what to expect when you get to fly in the Falcon, so no matter how well it goes about doing what it does... you will know what you're getting out of the experience before you even step on board. So, it loses out on the surprise element that its big sister attraction will have.

Not that there is anything bad about not being surprised. Universal Creative has made a killing off of taking what is "familiar and expected" and turning them into great attractions in Potterland.

Regarding all this conversation about the size of various lands and how much space is being taken up by this attraction or that, keep in mind that BIG attractions require BIG show buildings. The majority of the footprint for SW is being taken up by these two huge buildings and the rest is going to be the supporting infrastructure for the land - shops, dining, etc. It's not like there is going to be a bunch of unused real estate. Although, Disneyland's SWL will have a bunch of guest foot path areas to travel, most of the 14 acres are used by the buildings. My last comparison between New Orleans Square (with Pirates and Mansion) is appropriate; but, you need to keep in mind what would be the bulk added if all of Pirate's show building was inside the berm - which the large portion of it is not. SWL doesn't have anywhere to hide it's bulk as it's outside the berm. Great care was made it keeping the Galaxy on the outside instead of in. Thanks to that, Rivers of America will keep as much of dividing line as it can and the space under the new berm is being put to good use.

Goofyernmost

Actually, the last five months have seen WDW race ahead for the crown.
While I will admit that they have tacked a lot on recently, so far, to my knowledge they haven't built an attraction that automatically requires a two park ticket. All the other stuff, probably because they haven't yet hit a damn thing that I care about, is absolutely non-existent to me. I don't stay on-site, I don't go to the extra parties, I sure as hell won't pay extra to park my car closer to the gate, when it is a shorter walk to the tram then the lot to the gate. All of them are targeted to people that either don't know any better or feel that the more they spend the better the experience. If I want a park hopper, I buy a park hopper, but, you can bet you're last pound that I wouldn't deal with getting on small world if I had to pay extra to get to the end of it.

From the moment I heard about that little detail, I, actually, just couldn't help but admire the degree of chutzpah that took. And everyone just said... OK, that's what I'll do then. And if they were going to buy two parks anyway, it didn't matter. If they weren't they were just being hung upside down and had the change shaken from their pockets. And I like Universal, sometimes even more then Disney, but, seriously Martin... this took some really big ones, in my mind.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
..this took some really big ones, in my mind.

It seems to have worked out fine for them though. Although park hoppers seem to be the norm for what admission media is usually bought over there.

But charging for what used to be free takes even bigger ones. In my mind. As do the astronomical across the board price increases.

But we're dangerously off topic now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom