Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Bocabear

I was just at DHS the other day, but did not see much happening in terms of construction...Sure there are a lot of areas blocked off, but nothing seems to be in the works... Is DHS' version of Star Wars Land going to be a follow up to Disneyland's? Seem like gigantic construction on the West Coast, but not much going on here at the park that needed this the most...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was just at DHS the other day, but did not see much happening in terms of construction...Sure there are a lot of areas blocked off, but nothing seems to be in the works... Is DHS' version of Star Wars Land going to be a follow up to Disneyland's? Seem like gigantic construction on the West Coast, but not much going on here at the park that needed this the most...

I think it's been said that it would probably open 6 months later at DHS. DL does have a lot of land prep done, but they also have a lot of work related to the Rivers of America and the railroad that does not have to be done at DHS.

erasure fan1

The completion of this land will probably be the next time I buy a WDW ticket... But I may have to get a second mortgage for one by then.
That is how we are too. When star wars is done that is when we go back to the parks. (unless prices magically drop) o_O Of course we all know that will NOT happen. Sooooo, like this year, next years plan is DVC points to stay at the resort and visit other area attractions. And by the time this opens, you know the prices will explode well past the rate we have seen so far.

gmajew

@marni1971 how much land is both Harry Potter areas? I am just trying to compare as the Gringotts area in my eyes is on of the best areas in any park to date.... They have one ride in that section. So just trying to compare.

Mike S

What a GIANT waste of space. With the amount of attractions packed into the rest of the park, 2 attractions is a gigantic waste. They could fill that area 10+ rides if it weren't being turned into Diagon 2.0 (shopping mall with some rides).
To be fair by definition Diagon Alley is supposed to be a kind of mall and we got two rides at the cost of one. It's also twice as small as SWL so not as much space being "wasted." I do see your point though. I am looking very forward to just walking around SWL, in DHS.

KingOfEpicocity

To be fair by definition Diagon Alley is supposed to be a kind of mall and we got two rides at the cost of one. It's also twice as small as SWL so not as much space being "wasted." I do see your point though. I am looking very forward to just walking around SWL, in DHS.

It does seem illogical that they would "waste" space in Disneyland, considering the space they have Avalible. In DHS though they could spread out.

Also off topic but, could the red mountain/rock arcades blend into thunder mountain? Looks eerily similar to me

Siren

That's all more like the main E. Envisage something like Spider-Man but trackless.

Possibly.

For Falcon think less traditional movement through an environment, more screen.
Thank you, Marni. I really *love* the word Envisage -- I'm totally stealing this word. You are just so classy.

Okay so, do not laugh because I know you already know about this, lol. But, I just wanna share it here anyway for people who haven't seen it yet. This was my first time seeing it, too. This is from the LA Times.

169eqs1.jpg

The First Order dark ride puts riders in the middle of a battle in a “race against time” to aid the Resistance. (Disney)
"The First Order dark ride puts riders in the middle of a battle in a “race against time” to aid the Resistance.

Concept art shows First Order Stormtroopers on the upper deck of a spaceship hangar shooting at passengers in a dark-ride vehicle that looks reminiscent of Universal’s Transformers: The Ride.

But there's a lot we still don't know. Can riders shoot back at the Stormtroopers? Will the attraction feature domed projection screens like many of Universal’s newest dark rides?"

28ti0ly.jpg

The new themed land will include an upscale “dinner club.” (Disney)
"There isn’t much to eat in the “Star Wars” movies beyond the blue drink Luke downs in the first film. The expanded universe in the “Star Wars” novels offers additional delicacies, but they don’t sound too appetizing.

The new themed land will include an upscale “dinner club” where the galaxy’s fashionable and powerful gather.

Concept art shows a multilevel restaurant dressed in greens and gold built around a central focal point. Onion-shaped lava lamps dot the dimly lighted dining room. An audio-animatronic C-3PO surveys the restaurant.

Disneyland has been offering “Star Wars”-inspired food in Tomorrowland during the ongoing Season of the Force event that includes burgers, drinks and desserts in themed collectible containers. But the new themed restaurant looks more like Carthay Circle at Disney California Adventure than a burger stand in Tomorrowland.

What will the high-end restaurant serve? How hard will it be to get a seat?"

e7dr43.jpg

Concept art shows a mermaid-like alien swimming in fish tank behind a circular bar. (Disney)
"Will Disney serve booze in the cantina?

The new land will feature a local tavern for the “truly adventurous” that has a similar atmosphere to the Mos Eisley cantina where Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi met Han Solo and Chewbacca on Tatooine. There’s no word yet if the alien band has been booked for a standing gig.

Concept art shows a mermaid-like alien swimming in a fish tank behind a circular bar. A blue bartender serves unfriendly patrons who include a cyclops with laser-like goggles and a hammerhead shark-like scoundrel. A selection of colorful concoctions are arrayed on the bar.

A second sketch shows a quieter area where droids serve cocktails in tall glasses to customers relaxing in low-slung seats.

Disneyland famously does not serve alcohol (outside of the private Club 33). Expect the cantina in Star Wars Land to serve non-alcoholic drinks.

Will the cantina serve droids? Can you get a Tatooine Sunburn or a Reactor Core?"

Plus, there is still the second ride and the huge marketplace with all the Star Wars characters walking around in costume. I really believe Star Wars Land is going to be pretty amazing.

With that said, I am *very* concerned about capacity. Could you just imagine what ADR's will be like for this restaurant? And, FP+, too? The demand for Frozen is like a joke compared to this.

Honestly, I don't think Disney can do ADR's or FP+ for Star Wars land. They will have to do what Universal did with Harry Potter when it first opened.

TP2000

Don't forget, Disneyland is under legal obligation with the City of Anaheim to embark on at least One Billion Dollars worth of park expansion by the end of next calendar year in order to prevent the city from taxing Disneyland tickets for 30 years. If Disneyland spends an additional 500 Million Dollars on park expansion over the initial One Billion, the tax extension becomes valid for 45 years. That's the year 2061 for those keeping score at home. That's why a clone of Tokyo DisneySea's Arendelle and a Frozen E Ticket dark ride is being built next to the Millenium Falcon ride.

That's a brilliant incentive to expand Disneyland quickly and in a huge One And A Half Billion Dollar way. No such incentive exists at the WDW parks or property, nor could it exist with the Reedy Creek arrangement with local and state governments. Funny how that works.

And in today's local newspaper the Disneyland spokeswoman went on record as stating Disneyland will now be spending over Two Billion Dollars on park expansion, not including the new 700 room luxury hotel Disneyland just announced it will build on an existing parking lot.

There are legal and tax obligations in Anaheim that require Star Wars Land to get off the ground and open as quickly as possible. And those legal obligations simply don't exist in WDW. Plus, DHS is also getting Toy Story Land and that appears to be the first priority instead of Star Wars Land.

Last edited:

gmajew

What two rides in diagon alley? The train does not count as a ride as it is transport between parks. And does not even come with the single park ticket.

Goofyernmost

What two rides in diagon alley? The train does not count as a ride as it is transport between parks. And does not even come with the single park ticket.
It's easy to talk about Disney and their "money grabs", but, I don't believe that it holds a candle to Universal and its park hopping attraction. Done by creating a non-attraction, transportation defined, attraction which can only be experienced if you buy a double park ticket.

doctornick

"Will Disney serve booze in the cantina?

The new land will feature a local tavern for the “truly adventurous” that has a similar atmosphere to the Mos Eisley cantina where Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi met Han Solo and Chewbacca on Tatooine. There’s no word yet if the alien band has been booked for a standing gig.

Concept art shows a mermaid-like alien swimming in a fish tank behind a circular bar. A blue bartender serves unfriendly patrons who include a cyclops with laser-like goggles and a hammerhead shark-like scoundrel. A selection of colorful concoctions are arrayed on the bar.

A second sketch shows a quieter area where droids serve cocktails in tall glasses to customers relaxing in low-slung seats.

Disneyland famously does not serve alcohol (outside of the private Club 33). Expect the cantina in Star Wars Land to serve non-alcoholic drinks.

Will the cantina serve droids? Can you get a Tatooine Sunburn or a Reactor Core?"

Huh. Brings up an interesting point. Essentially the same land in DL and DHS for Star Wars. At DHS, you almost certainly will see alcoholic beverages served at the dining establishments. What will DL do? Would they serve alcohol just in Star Wars, like how MK has done so in BoG? Would they have have virgin versions of the same drinks that are likely to appear in Florida?

I've got to think that the menus between the locations will be very similar if not identical otherwise.

Mike S

It's easy to talk about Disney and their "money grabs", but, I don't believe that it holds a candle to Universal and its park hopping attraction. Done by creating a non-attraction, transportation defined, attraction which can only be experienced if you buy a double park ticket.
The difference being that the Hogwarts is worth it unlike a cupcake party and since I have an AP it's not an up charge. The point has also been brought up before that park to park tickets are the more popular option among visitors anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom