Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

KingOfEpicocity

Lord. Rides ARE attractions.

There's a recent trend to call something diversionary that makes you stop and look an attraction.

Is the Innoventions fountain an attraction?

Meet n greets are a cert. And I'd hope for some sort of elaborate show. Not just a pop up lightsaber "battle" with glo sticks.

Like I've said elsewhere I'm excited for the two rides if nothing more gets cut. But for the price - and the IP - there should be 5 Es. Maybe they'll transplant Star Tours...

Well always open small and expand later.

doctornick

Lord. Rides ARE attractions.

There's a recent trend to call something diversionary that makes you stop and look an attraction.

Is the Innoventions fountain an attraction?

Meet n greets are a cert. And I'd hope for some sort of elaborate show. Not just a pop up lightsaber "battle" with glo sticks.

Like I've said elsewhere I'm excited for the two rides if nothing more gets cut. But for the price - and the IP - there should be 5 Es. Maybe they'll transplant Star Tours...

I don't actually disagree, I just am curious as to what actually will be involved in those 14 acres.

That said, if there is a higher quality show, I don't have any qualms placing that among the "attractions" for a land.

JediMasterMatt

It brings it home looking at the size of that scar that there will be just two more attractions there.

Well, thankfully, those 2 attractions are E caliber and one of them will dwarf even Shanghai's Pirates. It's more appropriate to compare the SW slice of land to the south west corner of DL and the space occupied by Pirates and Mansion with all the ambiance of New Orleans Square surrounding it. If you think of SWL as a new spin on the New Orleans Square concept, it isn't as daunting.

Also, keep in mind that in the view of the great Disneyland desert photo above that there is a 3rd attraction that will be occupying that open soil. It's not all for SW. Add on top of that the RoA real estate, the new berm, and the transitional walkway from Critter Country into SW, and it does in total comsume a bunch of space.

In an effort to bring some cheer to the SW discussion, have I mentioned that both E's are anticiapted to have much better than current Disney Parks batting average capacity for their big attractions? I had this reaffirmed to me from my Lucasland friends over the holiday.

KingOfEpicocity

Sorry, am I being too gloomy?

I'll reiterate I expect Alcatraz to be one of the best attractions in the world. Anywhere. And the Bird to be one of the best in the US.

The budget and that sentence give me faith that it'll be spectacular. But will it have the capacity to handle it? Are we talking haunted mansion capacity or soarin capacity.

doctornick

I'll reiterate I expect Alcatraz to be one of the best attractions in the world. Anywhere. And the Bird to be one of the best in the US.

I think the biggest point is that there's no reason they couldn't earmark a spare $50M or so and add in a smaller ride or two in all of that 14 acre space. Once upon a time, Disney was noted for how efficiently they used their land.

It can look as pretty as possible - and by God it should - but that's eye candy. You don't visit to ride the rock work. There are still two attractions. Was going to be three but that's another story. And for the inflated cost there should be.

I'm really curious that you mentioned a potential third ride that is no longer on the menu. Can you give us any hints on the details of that?

"The whole land is an attraction" is right out of the marketing department.

To be fair, that is pretty much what we hear people say about Diagon Alley. I mean, it only has one ride in the actual land and the impressiveness of the land is largely the themed experience of walking around in the area and looking at everything. I think the huge praise heaped up Diagon Alley has probably influenced Disney in terms of spending more money on placemaking and theming rather than rides.

(Not that they can't/shouldn't be more efficient with their money and what they are able to built for it)

KingOfEpicocity

I think the biggest point is that there's no reason they couldn't earmark a spare $50M or so and add in a smaller ride or two in all of that 14 acre space. Once upon a time, Disney was noted for how efficiently they used their land.

I'm really curious that you mentioned a potential third ride that is no longer on the menu. Can you give us any hints on the details of that?

To be fair, that is pretty much what we hear people say about Diagon Alley. I mean, it only has one ride in the actual land and the impressiveness of the land is largely the themed experience of walking around in the area and looking at everything. I think the huge praise heaped up Diagon Alley has probably influenced Disney in terms of spending more money on placemaking and theming rather than rides.

(Not that they can't/shouldn't be more efficient with their money and what they are able to built for it)

I really disagree. Just look at DAK. There were large themed villages and areas created just for a single ride. Or even world showcase, pavilions without rides. Made just for theming. I will say they have a new facination with huge lands based on one IP though.

Brian Swan

Meanwhile at Disneyland
star-wars-land-jpg.144844
Looks kind of like a tumor...

Siren

This is what it says about Millennium Falcon: http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/disney-star-wars-land-photos-details

"The newest rendering of this E-ticket attraction shows that wannabe Han Solos will actually be at the famed ship’s helm, firing laser cannons and banking left and right to avoid enemy fire. Not to read too into the voice-over, but there was a lot of emphasis on the fact that guests will actually pilot the ride, completely controlling the vehicle themselves. This mix between a motion simulator and a first-person shooter is something Disney has never had in its parks, especially one that’s fully operated by a patron. Add the fact that the Millennium Falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy and, well, this one is sure to be a game-changer."

Okay so, the article states that Millennium Falcon will be both a motion simulator and a first person shooter combined. So, I envision this ride being more like a dark ride instead of like Star Tours.

The cars will be compact like TSM or Buzz but built rugged like the Dinosaur cars and guests will have to wear 3D glasses. The cars will rumble and roll throughout the building in front of various screens and sets with state of the art animatronics and shoot enemies and stuff. I wonder if it could be part coaster, too?

I don't know what "Alcatraz" is, we totally need more details. And then there is the "marketplace" that is said to be the real "gem" of Star Wars land, especially at night.

You? Gloomy? *Never*

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay so, the article states that Millennium Falcon will be both a motion simulator and a first person shooter combined. So, I envision this ride being more like a dark ride instead of like Star Tours.

The cars will be compact like TSM or Buzz but built rugged like the Dinosaur cars and guests will have to wear 3D glasses. The cars will rumble and roll throughout the building in front of various screens and sets with state of the art animatronics and shoot enemies and stuff. I wonder if it could be part coaster, too?

That's all more like the main E. Envisage something like Spider-Man but trackless.

Possibly.

For Falcon think less traditional movement through an environment, more screen.

Last edited:

TP2000

Okay but I love the codename Alcatraz.

As in "escape from".

The Imagineers are nothing if not clever. Of course, these code names were first released in an Al Lutz Miceage Update last year that was talking specifically about the Disneyland version of Star Wars Land, so there's an entire segment of Disney fans who will refuse to believe those are the official code names. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom