Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

I actually slightly agree with you here. Everything is just about building big, IP-based attractions now.

The days of original ideas stateside are gone.

It's obvious this is true, but you still see flickers of hope, like the Harambe expansion at DAK and RoL looks to potentially be IP free as well. Also, I'm curious as to what the concept is behind the proposed Frontierland expansion for MK, which maybe could have been a non-IP idea.

Bacon

That's what I want to know too! Where and how does it fit into the DHS footprint. It's got to be at the perimeter of the park somewhere to get the cliffs to work, but where exactly?

Here's the footprint for Star Wars Land at Disneyland that Miceage posted several days ago, taking out Toontown and a lot of "Backstage" space. Some Disneyland fans scoffed at this, but with the 14 acre announcement it suddenly looks very prescient.

Picture1.jpg~original

But where does such a footprint land in DHS???
It won't destroy ToonTown they are refurbishing it right now

gmajew

Is it possible since this area will be a new section of the park out of the way of everything else if that is where these new lands go they could not build it a little faster then other things?

Avatar from time shovel hit the ground was how long? I am guessing a little quicker then that... Or am I missing things? I think the big unknown time line is going to be handling the parking lot and then the below ground work to get the pads ready.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is it possible since this area will be a new section of the park out of the way of everything else if that is where these new lands go they could not build it a little faster then other things?

Avatar from time shovel hit the ground was how long? I am guessing a little quicker then that... Or am I missing things? I think the big unknown time line is going to be handling the parking lot and then the below ground work to get the pads ready.

If it's going in the LMA/Cat Canyon area, it could probably go quicker then if they put it in the Echo Lake area. Avatar is looking to be 3 years 3 months to 3 years 6 months.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Would it be easier to build in an area free from the constraints of an operating theme park? Sure...but that is not the biggest reason for the long construction times.

The biggest reason Disney takes so long to build things is they are using cash vs credit.

When you are using credit, you start paying interest on your first draw. This often occurs in the planning stage. Because of that it makes financial sense to complete the project ASAP to minimize the amount of interest you pay before whatever you are building begins to generate revenue.

When you are using cash, it looks better on the books to spread out the expense over as many quarters as possible. You can also avoid paying overtime, labor and/or material premiums, etc.

Disney is also not hurting for guests, so there is no incentive there. It also does not help that DHS's current parking infrastructure will not even begin to be able deal with the crowds SWL will produce. That has to be addressed before they can even think of opening.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Let me sum up what I have been reading over the last few months.

Disney does not build fast enough in order to save money.
Disney is spending to much money on projects
Disney is not pay enough attention to theme and small details
Disney is taking to long because its is doing to much there work and small details
Theme and small details cost money
Disney is not building enough projects
Disney is building to many projects I do not like
Disney is not spending enough money on Walt Disney World
Disney is spending to much money on Walt Disney World
Everything Disney does is wrong
Everything Universal does is right.

Does that sum it up?

DisDan

Disney is taking to long because its is doing to much there work and small details

Does that sum it up?

Yes, welcome to the internet.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Does that sum it up?

Yes, because different people have different opinions, that's why we have discussion boards.

P_Radden

Does that sum it up?
I see what you did there. But realistically it's more like this:

1. TWDC neglected WDW for quite some time. Some say 10 years or more depending who you ask.
2. TWDC has had billions & billions of dollars. They could have budgeted more on maintaining and upgrading WDW but they didn't until as of recently for the sake of penny pinching under Iger.
3. Many are angry that TWDC dumped billions into MM+ instead of direct investment into WDW park upgrades, new attractions etc. Keep in mind this is all while years have passed and TWDC was neglecting WDW under Iger. No new attractions, diminished quality in almost every imaginable aspect of the parks & resorts. So for the billions invested in MM+, regardless of the infrastructure improvements, the guests get a pretty new app and magic bands.
4. Because of these reasons, we guests at WDW get less value for our vacationing dollars. For long time returning guests and AP holders, this feels like a slap in the face.
5. To us, the only thing Iger cares about is the stock value and pleasing Wall Street.
6. Yes, they are slow about the new construction for reasons already discussed. But, to WDW fans and returning guests, it feels like since this construction has begun (in last few years) the pace is GLACIAL especially when compared to projects at Universal Studios.

We continue to see Iger and team spouting about record profits etc, but at the end of the day WDW still suffers. Sure there are lots of projects in the pipeline (finally) but it will be YEARS before everything is open to guests. BUT TWDC will still happily charge you $97 to visit Hollywood Studios in it's current state.

Now we have the news of all the cuts coming, just weeks after the news of record profits. This makes no sense to us WDW guests. WDW maintains record attendance but gets cut backs.

I understand the Shanghai and Paris woes but it is not my problem (as a paying guest to WDW) nor should I have to be effected by it on my vacation to WDW.

Walt Disney World is not only the theme park capital of the world, but a very special home-away-from-home to many people. TWDC needs to respect that and treat it like so. It takes love, which Iger has not shown. This is why there is so much anger on these boards. We are passionate about WDW, and for many of us, it holds a special place in our hearts. That is why we take it so personally. To TWDC it is nothing more than a money making cash cow, doesn't matter that it is a resort with theme parks, it could be a junk yard or land fill for all they care as long as it is still a cash cow.

Last edited:

TP2000

It won't destroy ToonTown they are refurbishing it right now

No, it certainly won't. That post and image above you quoted was a very early version of the rumor. The latest map from Miceage, that several key insiders on multiple boards have said is startlingly accurate, looks like this. Still 14 acres though.
disneylands-star-wars-land-expansion-layout-shown-in-new-map-and-new-details2

TP2000

It is amazingly accurate.

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case. :D

Now what we really need to figure out is how this basic Disneyland footprint, especially the two massive show buildings for the two new E Tickets, fit into the DHS envelope.

I know WDW'ers get frustrated when too much Disneyland talk gets thrown around, but right now Disneyland is where all the good Star Wars info is coming from. Like the map above, and the current bulldozing and regrading of the land that will soon be sprouting structural steel, etc.

The key is to fit what we know and what we can see happening at Disneyland into the DHS environment where not much is happening yet.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom