Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

FerretAfros

Sure, but just change the visuals and Hong Kong plot to a SoCal plot. Or make it a mythical Iron Man environment, maybe even a Stark Expo environment and theme the Tomorrowland queue to Stark Expo.

It can't be a direct copy and paste from Hong Kong because of the obvious Kowloon references, but the basic ride concept of Iron Man Experience would be a great fit for Disneyland's Star Tours attraction once Star Wars Land opens.
If the HKDL version is set in Hong Kong, then I see no reason why the DL version can't be set in Anaheim. It could have flyovers of bland midcentury tract houses, fights in the tired warehouse district (or as runDisney likes to call it "the scenic streets of Anaheim"), and maybe even a confrontation along the dusty Santa Ana "River"

Of course, the big finale would be in the splashy-yet-deserted ARTIC terminal, where Tony Stark could save the day for the tens of customers who use the facility daily. Heck, even @TP2000 's old pal who works the ticket counter while reading her paperback romance novels could have a cameo! It's not like there are any passengers who might need help

Sure, Hong Kong may have an ever-changing skyline and a unique east-meets-west cultural scene, but it's got nothing on sleepy little Anaheim!

KingOfEpicocity

I'll give you Spider-Man and Transformers as being similar rides. But the two Potters, while they do indeed both use screens and sets, are very different from each other and from Spider-Man and Transformers.

Even the similarity in Spider-Man and Transformers is not more similar than, let's say, Indiana Jones and the Forbidden Eye and Dinosaur. Or the various Disney creations that are cloned.

But let's say that you only object to similarity of attractions at parks within the same resort. Surely then, you must object to Dumbo, Astro-Orbitor, the carpets and Triceratops Spin all existing at WDW. And all before Transformers showed up. And then there's the multitude of 3-D movies -- EO, Philharmagic, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Muppetvision, It's Tough to Be a Bug. Again, all in place before Transformers. Pirates, Small World, Gran Fiesta Tour -- all boat rides past sets with music in the background.

If the use of similar ride systems is the death of creativity (it's not), blame Disney.

Sure the Harry Potter rides are different in terms of ride system. But in presentation of the story they are exactly the same...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Rip Ride Rocket.

Nope. ;)

hqdefault.jpg

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
What are you talking about? I blame universal for reskinning the same ride.

Screen then set then screen then set. Spider-Man, both Harry potter rides, transformers...

Sure the Harry Potter rides are different in terms of ride system. But in presentation of the story they are exactly the same...

Your logic escapes me. Which, I believe, is a good thing.

However, if it is the Potter rides somehow present the story the same way, I guess Body Wars, Star Tours (Version 1), Mission: Space, Gran Fiesta Tour, and Journey Into Your Imagination must similarly annoy you, as they all use the "Here we go on a sightseeing tour; oh no something went wrong and now it gets exciting trope".

danlb_2000

Premium Member

However, if it is the Potter rides somehow present the story the same way, I guess Body Wars, Star Tours (Version 1), Mission: Space, Gran Fiesta Tour, and Journey Into Your Imagination must similarly annoy you, as they all use the "Here we go on a sightseeing tour; oh no something went wrong and now it gets exciting trope".

His logic is actually quite simple, Disney good, Universal bad.

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

I never said they annoyed me. I also never said Disney was perfect. What I'm trying to say is universal needs to step out of their comfort zone to earn my respect.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Diagon Alley took 2.5 years.

This was announced August 2015, with attractions closed a year earlier.

I GIVE UP. I thought all the talk was they were going to build this in a timely manner - 2019 or 2020 is an utter shambles.

Disgraceful.
You do realize nothing has closed where SW is going right?

No Name

That is very true but nothing to do with timelines for SW construction.
Depends how you look at it, I think the poster was trying to imply that they should've started earlier. Back then as you probably remember, many people thought the backlot tour closure was a sign that construction was about to begin. So that closure and the smaller ones that followed do relate in some way. I don't know though, maybe I'm reading him wrong and that's not what he meant.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Depends how you look at it, I think the poster was trying to imply that they should've started earlier. Back then as you probably remember, many people thought the backlot tour closure was a sign that construction was about to begin. So that closure and the smaller ones that followed do relate in some way. I don't know though, maybe I'm reading him wrong and that's not what he meant.
I am like many poster here too, I believed construction would start soon after FY16 started for Disney with shifting of job locations and other move activities happening over much of 2015.

From my understanding there were a lot of job functions behind BLT that were moved, that takes a long time to keep disruptions to a minimum.

But to start a construction clock, construction has be have started, I personally don't expect anything SW construction related until late summer if my experiences with normal construction has any relation it may be longer.

Too many here have started clocks in Aug 15 for construction, IMO Disney shouldn't have said anything until shovels hit the ground.

doctornick

im

just wondering what the heck will happen with star tours

I am as well. I would be shocked if it leaves -- DHS needs the ride capacity and it's very likely to end up sensibly placed as part of the Star Wars area. All it would need is a new facade to fit in with the surroundings.

But all indications is that Disney is going for "immersive" with the new Star Wars area -- so you will be walking in a true land right out of the Star Wars saga. It's no problem making the outside of Star Tours fit that fine and the tour can easily leave from whatever unnamed planet is going to be the location for the new land. But what to do about the ride itself? If the "setting" is the timeframe of the current trilogy with fights between the First Order and the Resistance and a Millennium Falcon with a rectangular dish then the story of Star Tours doesn't fit* given that it is at the time right before A New Hope and has Darth Vader, Boba Fett, young Leia, a living Yoda, etc. and the Empire is after a Rebel spy.

*obviously, they've already messed up the timeframe of Star Tours with the new scene at Jakku with Finn. That's a whole other issue.

It almost makes me wonder about the rumors of Star Wars land going in the Catastophe Canyon/LMA area. I tend to think that they are silly and would ignore them, but maybe the timeframe issue is a concern to WDI and that might be a solution -- have Star Tours in a separate land, as it will be in DL. @marni1971 mentioned a possible additional Star Wars content for DHS, maybe this would be the idea? And it could work with putting a Jedi Academy near Star Tours (say, Sounds Dangerous?) where you could use a (living, not Force Ghost) Yoda as part of the performance. And in that land, you could have M&G or other attractions tailored to the original trilogy (Darth Vader, Boba Fett, etc.). So, you'd basically have two different Star Wars areas with different timeframes (and planets presumably) for settings.

Edit: OTOH, if they wanted to have Star Tours in the same land but make it fit the same timeline as the rest of the place, they'd have to change a lot of the scenes. I mean, you could keep most of the planets, but the dialogue would have to change and there couldn't be Darth Vader, Boba Fett, young Leia, Yoda, etc. The Stormtroopers would have to be changed to First Order ones. I wonder if they'd try to come up with some time travel element in the queue or something.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom