Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TP2000

Is there a chance that Star Tours at Disneyland could relocate like FotLK?

Doubt it. They'd just repurpose the ride system for something new, like an Anaheim version of Hong Kong's upcoming Iron Man Experience which uses the Star Tours ride system. They can't do that in WDW because of the ban on Marvel attractions in Florida, but in Anaheim anything Marvel is fair game.

No Name

And not so coincidentally, Robert Iger became CEO a decade ago.

The fall of creativity didn't come from Potter, it came from corporate greed from both Disney and Comcast.

Uuugh. It really bothers me when people blame that on "corporate greed." Let me start by saying that companies like Disney exist to be successful. They're not going to do something that makes less money in the end while not making the majority of their customers happier. What you're basically saying is that "IP rides" are more successful for TWDC, and the bosses are somehow being morally wrong for not doing what brings the most success.

The huge flaw in Disney's thinking here is that IP-based attractions are actually more successful. They are often not. Think about Avatar for example. Do the majority of people love Avatar and have a large interest in it? No. It's a dead francise right now. In fact, some people may say "eew no I didn't like/ don't care about that movie" or "me/ my kids have never even see the movie" and be turned off because of the IP connection. On the other hand, do people like dragons and unicorns? Yes, those are very popular mythical creatures that people know and love and have always had a high level of interest in. Therefore, while any quality attraction in Orlando is poised to do well, I think Beastly Kingdom would've been more successful on all fronts than what they're building now. There are other examples as well but I don't want to make my post longer than it already is.

Additionally, movie IP attractions do not have as much of a long-term appeal and will eventually die out. And they do not always fit with the theme and message of the land/park. TWDC also undervalues those. A cohesive theme and message can make the experience unquantifiably better, which in return brings the company more money and more success.

Building only "IP rides" is not greedy, it's dumb. Making too many cuts is not just greedy, it's dumb. Replacing American IT people with foreign ones is not just greedy, it's dumb. Becuase in the end, these all hurt the company more than they help.

You can't play the moral card here because TWDC will laugh at that argument, and this one isn't really a moral issue anyway. When you say what you said above, you make it sound as if building original rides is like doing us a favor or giving us a free gift. In reality, building some would be best for the company as well. I'm glad they're doing that in Shanghai and did in Hong Kong, those were all good decisions. But they should also do it domestically.

Yes, the fall of orignal rides in the US started with Bob Iger. Because when it comes to theme parks, he's not just greedy, he's a bit dumb.

Mike S

Doubt it. They'd just repurpose the ride system for something new, like an Anaheim version of Hong Kong's upcoming Iron Man Experience which uses the Star Tours ride system. They can't do that in WDW because of the ban on Marvel attractions in Florida, but in Anaheim anything Marvel is fair game.
Can't do it in Disneyland either because the rides story specifically takes place in Hong Kong. It would have to be completely changed.

TP2000

Can't do it in Disneyland either because the rides story specifically takes place in Hong Kong. It would have to be completely changed.

Sure, but just change the visuals and Hong Kong plot to a SoCal plot. Or make it a mythical Iron Man environment, maybe even a Stark Expo environment and theme the Tomorrowland queue to Stark Expo.

It can't be a direct copy and paste from Hong Kong because of the obvious Kowloon references, but the basic ride concept of Iron Man Experience would be a great fit for Disneyland's Star Tours attraction once Star Wars Land opens.

Mike S

Sure, but just change the visuals and Hong Kong plot to a SoCal plot. Or make it a mythical Iron Man environment, maybe even a Stark Expo environment and theme the Tomorrowland queue to Stark Expo.

It can't be a direct copy and paste from Hong Kong because of the obvious Kowloon references, but the basic ride concept of Iron Man Experience would be a great fit for Disneyland's Star Tours attraction once Star Wars Land opens.
There's also the issue of, while no longer having Star Tours outside of SWL, you would now have Iron Man outside of the planned Marvel Land. If they do anything they should just go with a new concept along with a new Tomorrowland. God knows you guys need it out there.

Turtle

Is it just me or does it look like a Star Tours speeder is in the corner of the photo, inside the back dock area?

Attachments

• StarWarsLandConceptArt2.jpg
    StarWarsLandConceptArt2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 131

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Screen then set then screen then set. Spider-Man, both Harry potter rides, transformers...
I'll give you Spider-Man and Transformers as being similar rides. But the two Potters, while they do indeed both use screens and sets, are very different from each other and from Spider-Man and Transformers.

Even the similarity in Spider-Man and Transformers is not more similar than, let's say, Indiana Jones and the Forbidden Eye and Dinosaur. Or the various Disney creations that are cloned.

But let's say that you only object to similarity of attractions at parks within the same resort. Surely then, you must object to Dumbo, Astro-Orbitor, the carpets and Triceratops Spin all existing at WDW. And all before Transformers showed up. And then there's the multitude of 3-D movies -- EO, Philharmagic, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Muppetvision, It's Tough to Be a Bug. Again, all in place before Transformers. Pirates, Small World, Gran Fiesta Tour -- all boat rides past sets with music in the background.

If the use of similar ride systems is the death of creativity (it's not), blame Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom