Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Wishing Star

Indy has such potential for a fully immersive land which will work well as DHS I really hope that we end up with something after Star Wars land opens, a copy of the lost river delta from Tokyo would be a good addition to the park but there is so much more that you could do if you wanted to, maybe it will depend on how well a new movie does?
I'm very confident that anything Indy (Land, section) will depend on the success of the movie (including merch, dvd/bluray etc). Given that it'll open in July 2019, we won't be seeing any such thing until half-way through 2020s at the min. I hope for an immersive Indy Land. Have it near SW Land and you'll get a Lucasfilm Land.;)

jt04

I know we have @marni1971 's excellent drawing of the land, but this model looks like it is taking up way more space than what is allocated? Is that berm not going to be as wide as we've all imagined? or is there a bit of optical illusion going on with the width of the pathways in the model?

Much of the land will consist of the ride buildings which are massive. Similar to Pandora but on a larger scale. Walkways seem like they will be pretty narrow. I don't think this would have worked without Pandora and 3 other parks at WDW. Disneyland is going to be crazy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If the expansion in Hollywood Studios is 14 acres , what percentage of the park is that? It seems like 14 acres will contain everything shown model-wise at D23. Same thing with Tron. I have seen overlays at MK between Space Mtn and Goofy doesn't seem like that's large enough either.

Prior to Backlot and LMA closing, the guest areas of the part were roughly 74 Acres.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know we have @marni1971 's excellent drawing of the land, but this model looks like it is taking up way more space than what is allocated? Is that berm not going to be as wide as we've all imagined? or is there a bit of optical illusion going on with the width of the pathways in the model?
I believe it's a bit of artistic license. As they say.

britain

I believe it's a bit of artistic license. As they say.

Are you sure? They don't tend to take artistic license when building architectural reference models. I think what's fooling people is that they are forgetting how forced perspective works into this. These windows and elements on the upper levels could very well be as large as the roofs and turrets in Fantasyland.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This interview and model tour took place last night at the Anaheim Convention Center, and is absolutely fascinating with many, many details of the new land and how we interact with it. Scott Trowbridge is the head honcho Imagineer in charge of the land. So much information here!

Note that pretty much every thing he said was also said during the presentation at Celebration early this year.

Buried20KLeague

Holy cow, the whole deal about consequences for your actions in this land (even how you do on the big bird ride affects your experience after riding) sounds absolutely amazing! This plus Tron?!?! :jawdrop::cry::inlove::joyfull::geek:

I could totally be wrong, but I see this as falling flat. I just think the whole area is going to be too dang crowded for anything that personal.

Just like the Sorcerer game at the MK. When the park is packed, there's basically a line at each game station. Everyone knows what's going to happen before they actually get to play the game themselves.

That will happen here. There's going to be lines at each "activity", or whatever it'll be called.

OR... The more likely scenario...

The only real way to limit that could be by attaching a high cost to it. Like the wands at Uni. When they talk about this, I picture Disney seeing the $$ being made on the wands, and coming up with something akin to it for SWL. They could be beginning to create buzz about the whole "interactive land" thing, and later on down the road let us know that the only way to do it is by buying some interactive light saber.

Buried20KLeague

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here... But it's a LOT of brown. I'm sure it'll look impressive in person, and I get that a lot of Star Wars worlds are that way... But geez. It just doesn't come off as warm or inviting, I guess.

It also doesn't seem like there's going to be many ways to avoid the Florida sun.

odmichael

I could totally be wrong, but I see this as falling flat. I just think the whole area is going to be too dang crowded for anything that personal.

Just like the Sorcerer game at the MK. When the park is packed, there's basically a line at each game station. Everyone knows what's going to happen before they actually get to play the game themselves.

That will happen here. There's going to be lines at each "activity", or whatever it'll be called.

The only real way to limit that could be by attaching a high cost to it. Like the wands at Uni. When they talk about this, I picture Disney seeing the $$ being made on the wands, and coming up with something akin to it for SWL. They could be beginning to create buzz about the whole "interactive land" thing, and later on down the road let us know that the only way to do it is by buying some interactive light saber.
This Could be said for any major opening of any major attraction ever. It will be jam-packed, overly priced, and things will be spoiled. But that's what theme parks are.

bclane

Just a guess but I imagine that at least initially its probably going to be limited compared to what it will be when fully realized (after crowd levels drop to more reasonable levels). Mickey already owns me and I could use a new light saber so bring it on I guess. Lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom