Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Uncle Lupe

Star-Wars-Land_Full_30565.jpg

As far as Disneyland is concerned. If they don't put rocks on the Mickey and Friends parking structure I would consider Disney just taking the cheap way out. May need to theme a good chunk on Anaheim also.

Castle Cake Apologist

What? That's exactly what they did in Pandora. And I expect SWL to be quite similar to stepping into a Star Wars movie. Just one we haven't seen yet. It's like....

"Star Wars: Rogue Land"

Pandora and Star Wars are more "Experience an area designed to look like an area from a movie." None of the locations are actually from any film, nor are the events that happen in the attractions. This allows you to "create your own adventure" in a way, because you're not tied down by specific things that happened in a movie.

The Harry Potter areas / attractions recreate specific settings and events from the books/films. Which is fine, but Disney seems to be taking a different approach.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I have never cared for that way of thinking. By that logic we don't need BTMRR, RNRC, Barnstormer or 7 Dwarves because we have Space Mountain. I mean it is not like the simulators from Body Wars are just getting moved over to the new SWL. Each attraction should be different enough to hold their own.
Yes, but two Star Wars Brand space flight themed motion simulators in the same park, with one disconnected from what will now be the definitive hub of Star Wars Fandom and the other themed to the most essential space flight vehicle in the Star Wars canon, makes a more compelling argument for the diminished usefulness of Star Tours.

Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs, Space Mountain, RNRC, and Barnstormer all generate different experiences through different themes and for different audiences by way of what happens to be the same medium. It sounds like what WDI wants to accomplish with Falcon is similar enough to and more ambitious than Star Tours to such a degree that Star Tours would suffer significantly by comparison one the new land opens.

Perhaps it's possible to say that Falcon is them doing what they had hoped since the beginning to do with Star Tours, and now that they can actually do it the original will achieve obsolescence in the portfolio of the park. If you can get all the good of Star Tours and more in a land dedicated to the property, it makes sense that they'd consider the opportunity to retheme the original simulator.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have never cared for that way of thinking. By that logic we don't need BTMRR, RNRC, Barnstormer or 7 Dwarves because we have Space Mountain. I mean it is not like the simulators from Body Wars are just getting moved over to the new SWL. Each attraction should be different enough to hold their own.

The things you list work ok because each is a different theme. To me this is more like building a second western themed roller coaster. Each could be different enough, but we won't know for sure until we get a lot more information about the Falcon ride. Personally I love Star Wars and Star Tours, but I wouldn't have a problem if it was re-themed.

Dan Deesnee

As amazing as it looks, I feel like it doesn't really have any standout tall building. For example, Epcot has Spaceship Earth, MK has the castle, AK now has those amazing floating islands. I just feel like they could have put a huge temple or something really distinct and amazing to look at like the others.

Maybe one or two of those buildings are much taller than they seem? Hard to tell but I haven't watched every video showing the new model yet.

Edit: Please don't take the above as me saying that I am not impressed or not looking forward to it. I really do think that this land looks incredible. It's just that everything in it is sort of monotone / blends in. I have no doubt this is going to be an incredible land to visit.

britain

As amazing as it looks, I feel like it doesn't really have any standout tall building. For example, Epcot has Spaceship Earth, MK has the castle, AK now has those amazing floating islands. I just feel like they could have put a huge temple or something really distinct and amazing to look at like the others.

Maybe one or two of those buildings are much taller than they seem? Hard to tell but I haven't watched every video showing the new model yet.

1) It's a land, not a park. So it would be inappropriate for it to trump either Sleeping Beauty Castle / Matterhorn or the Chinese Theatre.

2) The buildings were designed to keep enough of a low profile to not be seen from DL's river.

3) How can the mountains look huge if you have a tall building next to them?

4) The tallest peak (the one by the Falcon) IS actually as tall as the Matterhorn (if insiders are correct).

Incomudro

Edit: Please don't take the above as me saying that I am not impressed or not looking forward to it. I really do think that this land looks incredible. It's just that everything in it is sort of monotone / blends in. I have no doubt this is going to be an incredible land to visit.

It doesn't look like there's a defining focal point building, but I haven't looked too closely.
The scale is huge though.
Much like Pandora, we've got to imagine this from the perspective of person walking through it, rather than gazing down at a model.

Dan Deesnee

1) It's a land, not a park. So it would be inappropriate for it to trump either Sleeping Beauty Castle / Matterhorn or the Chinese Theatre.

2) The buildings were designed to keep enough of a low profile to not be seen from DL's river.

3) How can the mountains look huge if you have a tall building next to them?

4) The tallest peak (the one by the Falcon) IS actually as tall as the Matterhorn (if insiders are correct).

I am only referring to how this fits in at Disney World, just FYI.

As for trumping the Chinese Theatre, i'm not sure who would really care if a building in SW land was taller than that. I also am not sure who cares if the "mountains" look tall as i'm sure most guests would rather look at a cool tall building than a big fake mountain.

All good points, but I'm not sure who they were worried about upsetting by putting a signature featured building in there. Also as Incomudro says and I mentioned, some of these buildings could be massive from the ground level.

Disneyhead'71

Pandora and Star Wars are more "Experience an area designed to look like an area from a movie." None of the locations are actually from any film, nor are the events happening in the attractions.

The Harry Potter areas / attractions recreate specific settings and events from the books/films.
While all the locations in Potter are familier, FJ, Gringott's, and even the Hogwats Express are your own journey. The closest to actually reliving the movie is that you cross paths with the trio during a specific moment during Deathly Hallows 2. But you aren't really tagging along on their adventure.

I do think that "generic" star wars land will make it slightly less accessible to casual Star Wars fans. But the more rabid fans will see it as basically getting a new movie you can live.

britain

While all the locations in Potter are familier, FJ, Gringott's, and even the Hogwats Express are your own journey. The closest to actually reliving the movie is that you cross paths with the trio during a specific moment during Deathly Hallows 2. But you aren't really tagging along on their adventure.

I do think that "generic" star wars land will make it slightly less accessible to casual Star Wars fans. But the more rabid fans will see it as basically getting a new movie you can live.

Yes, I can see that. It won't click as fast as a giant Death Star icon. But Star Wars has always been about mashups. "Look that's a WWII gun.. but with internals from a VCR attached to it?" "Look - that's... familiar... but it's been remixed with something else familiar..." That's Star Wars.

Also, each new movie is taking us to new places. The Star Wars universe is getting so much bigger than 3 favorite planets - why do a greatest hits land of 3 or 4 planets at the expense of real immersion and whatever great NEW planet is going to be in the next movie? Better to really immerse you in a single place that feels VERY Star Warsy and then take off to other worlds in the attractions.

Castle Cake Apologist

I agree to an extent, but FJ was basically just Harry Potter's greatest hits thrown into a ride lol. Although, the events that happen in the Potter attractions are also all within the timeline of events of that happened in the books/movies. So, yes, we are technically doing our own thing, but it's within a preset linear story.

I guess I mostly mean the actual lands themselves, though. Pandora and Star Wars are entirely new areas created specifically for the theme parks, so there is a literal endless realm of possibilities. Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are faithful recreations of book/movie settings, which limits the freedom of the designers.

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

After watching that video, I am convinced that the Millenium Falcon ride is going to be at least partially Virtual Reality. Has this already been talked about or confirmed? I don't see how a giant group of people can all control the falcon together making unique decisions.

*Q*

I'm really terrible at visualizing this kind of thing... can someone help me understand the generally accepted "best theory" for how DHS' Star Tours will be (or not be) integrated in the land?
giphy.gif

Hm. I hate that a lot.
Same.

My ideal scenario would be that they'd build a brand new version of Star Tours from the ground up in Star Wars Land, using the latest in simulator technology. I feel like Star Tours is such a beloved brand on its own and such an important park of Disney park history that it'd be a shame to lose it altogether. Keeping a version of Star Tours would allow them the perfect venue for promoting the latest movie the way they have been with adding new planets to the ride. I don't really see that potential out of all of the information released about the land so far. My gut tells me that the Millennium Falcon ride isn't going to be randomized in that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom