Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

KrzyKtty

I can't wait! We loved everything about Pandora! Family should be going to Disneyland Christmas 2019, so I am thrilled at the possibility of seeing the parks. The model is really cool. Nice to see something other than concept drawings.

odmichael

Yeah... it's a relatively cheap and effective way to create the impression of a different place. And let's face it, Star Wars loves them some rocky planets too. :)
The strategic reasoning is to make the land more more immersive so you don't look up inside and happen to see other parts of the theme park.

MaSi

Why are people commenting a land opening 5+ years after Potter looks better than Potter? We all knew that was going to happen and it's because of Potter. SWL will look great which will make Super Nintendo World to step their game up and that cycle will continue. It's a great time to be a theme park fan.

I am not the same opinion! What I am currently observing is a more than ever dramatic focus on profit. Of Course both Disney and Universal are big companies especially in the last years the profit orientation becomes more and more visible pushing the "magical experience" in the background. Dinner Package here Dinner package there. Exclusive Transportation and so on. And with Pandora we can see a drastic decrease of investment for the actual Attractions at least for River Journey. Even more with Universal what they are doing is extreamly easy: They are Buiding only Simulators which have less theming than Darkrides and especially long term costs are significantly lower.

I was and still am sort of very hyped for SWL and I am a huge fan of discovering a new Planet! (Same Opinion as the others here with having all great Star Wars Things Combined while exploring something new in addition)

But after the reveal today I am disappointed because of the following:
- The Model gives a totally different feeling than the Artworks! The pictures show many of shade covers different food options narrow crowded places packed with street traders. Than iconc sights like towers on top of rock pillars and mountains and more of a slum kind planet. The atmosphere reminded me on a mix of Mos Eisley and the lower Part of Coruscant.
On the model (of course I have only the pictures and videos!) it all appears much more open spaced and more of a clean atmosphere. It looks like a huge military basis with some fighters standing around and the feeling is more of Naboo"ish"... Also I don't see these awsome cobination of houses/towers with rock pillars and mountains as well as a city covered by shade covers, wires and barracks.
- Only 2 Attractions seems the standard budget range Theme Parks are giving for such Projects
- WHY not such simple things as stadium seating in the Ride Vehicles???

Still I think especially the Rides will be awesome and I hope we will get interesting queue experinces and I hope for another look in person then the model is able to show!

Wishing Star

/film's thoughts on the model and an extensive look at what it offers according to them. They also have pics of the 2 other entrances.
IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/a-new-star-wars-land-model-reveals-new-details/

Goofyernmost

I'm sure guests would rather a walk-on than a 2-hour wait.
A walk-on means that the ride is able to handle it's demand well. Only someone who doesn't how capacity works thinks that it means the ride isn't popular. I see no reason why higher capacity is a bad thing at all.
It was pretty late at night when you posted that, so I am going to just assume that you were tired and not thinking this out. If Disney built a ride that had 10 per hour or 5000 per hour capacity that is because they expected it to need that type of capacity constantly. They didn't spend more money and time to have a walk on, they didn't build what seems like miles of queue to have them empty. They expected to need that always. Even though it obviously was less "popular" over time I never mentioned that it wasn't still liked by many, just not enough to build in more when they have a good idea that it will not need that extra later on.

Disney knows how many people ride each vehicle, they had eyes even back in the days before modern technology. They know now and have enough data on hand to know what to expect over time. Let's use Horizons as an example. Many people still think it is the best thing Disney ever did, but, when it comes to things that aren't as important as a breakthrough in Cancer research, people are easily influence by other things. If you enter a line that (not 2 hours long), has a degree of wait, the mind will interpret that as a worthwhile experience. What's at the end of that line must be good. If they walk into a spot that's deserted looking, then the mind is going to interpret that as not being good enough to draw people in. With the exception of the Disney OCD'ers, no one is even going to have the slightest thought about capacity. It looks dead, ergo it must be dead.

If one runs an Omni-mover at the speed that makes it possible for everyone to see and experience the ride comfortably, how do you increase that capacity. Do you make the ride shorter, so the chain makes the circle quicker? No, that won't work, it still loads at the same rate. Do you speed it up. Even if it were possible to add more ride vehicles a continuous moving ride vehicle will not go any faster and still maintain the integrity of the ride even if it had a hundred additional ride vehicles. It can only go as fast as the ride was designed to go or make it load faster then humanly possible without something being lost. Do you sacrifice a desired effect via ride vehicle so that everyone gets to just walk on? There is far more to consider then just how many people can dash through it per hour. Capacity thought also has to take into account future needs, not just todays.

ppete1975

I wonder if they can do gun fights like the old western theme parks and ghost towns... basically block off areas for a show and have storm troopers shooting "blasters" at han solo and Chewbacca and them shooting back. with disneys imagination and budget this could be really cool, with blaster bolts and explosions.

po1998

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was referring to pathways within the land, not entrances into the land. It just seems like there are many more buildings in the model than the drawing you linked in the prior post, or in sketches that have been posted in this thread.

@marni1971 has mentioned several times that those drawings and most others he provides are not exact because things change and because he doesn't want to reveal his source by exactly replicating the drawing that his source showed him.

po1998

@marni1971 has mentioned several times that those drawings and most others he provides are not exact because things change and because he doesn't want to reveal his source by exactly replicating the drawing that his source showed him.
I fully understand that, hence the reason why I said it would be nice to see an overhead pic(s) of the model which has much more detail. For now, I guess a complete pic of the internal pathways of the land will be left to the imagination.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess it's great you guys are all on board with that. I'm super bummed.

The reason Harry Potter is amazing is because you can walk through the movie (hmmm..."ride the movie," where did I hear that before?)

That experience via Star Wars would have been mind blowing. They could have easily done 3 different areas/planets to answer all the questions above.

Every Star Wars movie introduces new planets and ships. That's been one of its strengths.

The universe and feel instead of a tight locale.

They've said all along this is the formula here and its welcomed. The last thing we need is more 'book report' movie attractions

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom