Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

YodaMan

I guess it's great you guys are all on board with that. I'm super bummed.

The reason Harry Potter is amazing is because you can walk through the movie (hmmm..."ride the movie," where did I hear that before?)

That experience via Star Wars would have been mind blowing. They could have easily done 3 different areas/planets to answer all the questions above.

Our annual passes end in September, and we're going out with a bang (splurgy trip, really looking forward to it.) We had already planned to do a Disney Cruise (our first) next, probably in 2018 or 19.

My priority before going to see SWL will be to finally see Potter. That sounds much more exciting to me, and like I said, I am a huge SW fan since 20 years before Potter borrowed so much from it.

I'll get to it eventually, and I'm sure it will be fine. But I'm in no hurry to see a fake Star Wars land that has no relation to the movies except the characters pop up in them.

Maybe it's better Uni got Potter after all.

Not to be rude, but were you living under a rock? Since SWL was announced in 2015, it's been very clear that the land was not going to be based on any location seen in the films. Expecting anything else was your own fault.

doctornick

I guess it's great you guys are all on board with that. I'm super bummed.

The reason Harry Potter is amazing is because you can walk through the movie (hmmm..."ride the movie," where did I hear that before?)

That experience via Star Wars would have been mind blowing. They could have easily done 3 different areas/planets to answer all the questions above.

Having a land consisting of multiple locations (planets) side by side would have been the exact opposite of immersion and a terrible idea.

DarkMetroid567

I like both lands and have never seen harry potter and couldn't even get past the first book. The only thing i dislike about the 2 lands are they're both incredibly small and compact making it INSANELY crowded and barely enjoyable when it's busy.

Thiiiiiiiis. It's the reason I think Disney passed up on it; Rowling wanted small and compact, Disney didn't. Wizarding World is fun, but it's not the immersive experience that "I could spend a whole day at" like some say. Especially since Forbidden Journey was awesome but Gringotts was meh.

Wishing Star

BB-8 spotted!
DEq0W3JWAAAxchy.jpg

doctornick

I like both lands and have never seen harry potter and couldn't even get past the first book. The only thing i dislike about the 2 lands are they're both incredibly small and compact making it INSANELY crowded and barely enjoyable when it's busy.

To bring this more on topic... I think this further reflects the issue with using a "known" location for the setting. Obsessive fans would want accurately portrayed scale and details and that would run counter to ideal theme park design. Rowling was a stickler for very accurate designs and while the HP lands are great, the crowding is a real issue.

Using a new planet allows WDI to make something that looks "realistic" but also (hopefully) is set up to accommodate the huge crowds that will come. This creative flexibility is a good thing for themed design.

Tony the Tigger

Not to be rude, but were you living under a rock? Since SWL was announced in 2015, it's been very clear that the land was not going to be based on any location seen in the films. Expecting anything else was your own fault.

I was not paying close attention. I'm not one of those who likes to find everything out beforehand, watch videos, etc. I prefer to not spoil the surprise.

In most cases, that works out great. In this case...LOL.

bclane

It's Christmas in July!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!! Holy cow that looks amazing! I can't believe I get to take my kids to an Outer Rim planet in two years and be a part of the Resistance. Seeing this model just woke up my inner child in a way that I haven't felt since seeing Han Solo in the first Force Awakens trailer the first time. My goodness Disney, just take all my money already! We are so blessed boys and girls!!! :):geek::inlove::joyfull::happy::cool::D

bclane

Ok...I kinda don't get it.

(Yet?)

Big, big SW fan since the 70's.

Where are the iconic scenes and lands that we'd be excited to explore like I hear the Potter lands were done?

Maybe these are from the more recent movies? Name the lands, name the planets.

Hoth? Endor? Tatooine? Dagobah? Inside a Death Star?

So far, meh.
Don't worry friend. I would be willing to bet that Disney eventually builds other Star Wars lands and you may yet get to walk through one of your preferred locations. This is just the beginning! Eventually, I think we'll have a different planet represented in each of the parks. Star Wars is too big for just one 14 acre land. I think they made the right choice to start with a previously unknown (to us) outer rim planet where we can make our own adventures. At least you'll have familiar droids, alien species, blue milk, imagery, and of course the actual Falcon to interact with in this new world! I mean, we're gonna get to pilot the actual Millennium Falcon!!! :joyfull::):geek:

Spike-in-Berlin

Well I already knew that there would be only 2 attractions in SWL so this doesn't come as a surprise but to see this really HUGE area as a model and then remember that they installed only TWO attractions here, makes you wonder what they use the remaining square footage for. I mean how many gift shops, meet and greets and restaurants can you build in one land? Or is one of the attractions of such epic dimensions like e.g. RSR in DL? And it is also a little sad to see WDI actually considers 2 attractions a sufficient standard attraction roster for an entire new land (FLE was only an expansion, but Pandora, SWL, whats next?).
And to concentrate entirely on the new movies is another disappointment, 6 movies Empire against Rebel Alliance respectively Jedi against Sith and they concentrate on First Order against Resistance, that IS a major letdown for any fans of the classic and prequel trilogy.

Last edited:

Spike-in-Berlin

I think part of the reason they wanted a new planet was because... how do you decide which planet is the best one to represent Star Wars? Tatooine (in 5 of the 7 films) and Coruscant (being a hub world of sorts) come to mind, but I'd argue that it'd be awfully hard to recreate any part of Tattooine seen in the movies (therefore, anything of substance for a Star Wars fan) given it's primarily a flat desert and both parks rely so heavily on sightlines, and Coruscant is pretty much a generic sci-fi cityscape so not as interesting when Tomorrowland (and FW in WDW)'s so close.

Sorry but comparing Tomorrowland and Future World with a possible Coruscant-themed SW-Land (or part of land) is like comparing Mickey Mouse Club (where they also went to see new places and faces and went around the world marching...) with Indiana Jones.

ToTBellHop

Why are people commenting a land opening 5+ years after Potter looks better than Potter? We all knew that was going to happen and it's because of Potter. SWL will look great which will make Super Nintendo World to step their game up and that cycle will continue. It's a great time to be a theme park fan.
Because we've wanted Disney to build something up to that level since 2010. But I'd argue we already got something to that level over in DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom