Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

bclane

Unlike TSM and Soarin', the interior configuration of these attraction don't easily lend themselves to add ons. Shall we say.
Hey Marni have you heard any whispers about the possibility of additional Star Wars lands coming to other WDW parks in the future?

CaptainAmerica

If that's true, that's about as big a letdown to a Star Wars fan as were episodes one, two, and three.
Tatooine is a generic desert planet. Hoth is a generic ice planet. Dagobah is a generic swamp planet. Endor is a generic forest moon. The only OT location that's really unique is Bespin, which I'd argue is impossible to recreate on Earth in any credible way. Star Wars planets feel like Star Wars planets because of the creatures and vehicles that inhabit them, not because the landscapes are especially unique in and of themselves.

CaptainAmerica

I'm really terrible at visualizing this kind of thing... can someone help me understand the generally accepted "best theory" for how DHS' Star Tours will be (or not be) integrated in the land?

bclane

I'm really terrible at visualizing this kind of thing... can someone help me understand the generally accepted "best theory" for how DHS' Star Tours will be (or not be) integrated in the land?
The general thought is that it won't be. It will remain open for crowd control for a few years and then re-themed since it isn't connected to the new land.

Fizban257

Do we know what the fate of Star Tours is yet? Will it go away, remain and be separated, or will Muppets Courtyard go away, and SWL be expanded?

It won't be integrated or connected at all. Star Tours will exist, separate and updated, outside of the main land for the first few years before finally being refurbished into something else non-Star Wars.

CaptainAmerica

The general thought is that it won't be. It will remain open for crowd control for a few years and then re-themed since it isn't connected to the new land.

It won't be integrated or connected at all. Star Tours will exist, separate and updated, outside of the main land for the first few years before finally being refurbished into something else non-Star Wars.
Hm. I hate that a lot.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Tatooine is a generic desert planet. Hoth is a generic ice planet. Dagobah is a generic swamp planet. Endor is a generic forest moon. The only OT location that's really unique is Bespin, which I'd argue is impossible to recreate on Earth in any credible way. Star Wars planets feel like Star Wars planets because of the creatures and vehicles that inhabit them, not because the landscapes are especially unique in and of themselves.
They did floating mountains for Pandora - the next challenge should be a completely floating land high above the Orlando landscape.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Since the new Falcon ride will also be a simulator it may make Star Tours superfluous.
I have never cared for that way of thinking. By that logic we don't need BTMRR, RNRC, Barnstormer or 7 Dwarves because we have Space Mountain. I mean it is not like the simulators from Body Wars are just getting moved over to the new SWL. Each attraction should be different enough to hold their own.

bclane

Hm. I hate that a lot.
Yah me too. I love Star Tours. If I had my way, they would take out the muppets and expand Star Wars land to include that entire area, and also expand the Star Tours ride capacity and transform it into a space port that transports us into the new land. Or just keep Star Tours and keep updating it with each movie. It's always been one of my favorite rides and is actually quite thrilling if you sit in one of the rear corners of the ride vehicle.

Incomudro

I guess it's great you guys are all on board with that. I'm super bummed.

The reason Harry Potter is amazing is because you can walk through the movie (hmmm..."ride the movie," where did I hear that before?)

That experience via Star Wars would have been mind blowing. They could have easily done 3 different areas/planets to answer all the questions above.

Our annual passes end in September, and we're going out with a bang (splurgy trip, really looking forward to it.) We had already planned to do a Disney Cruise (our first) next, probably in 2018 or 19.

My priority before going to see SWL will be to finally see Potter. That sounds much more exciting to me, and like I said, I am a huge SW fan since 20 years before Potter borrowed so much from it.

I'll get to it eventually, and I'm sure it will be fine. But I'm in no hurry to see a fake Star Wars land that has no relation to the movies except the characters pop up in them.

Maybe it's better Uni got Potter after all.

"Ride the movie" got old quick for me in Uni.
Obviously many people love it, but for our family - the sense of knowing exactly what was going to happen became very predictable very quickly.
I very much prefer the Disney approach as done in Pandora and SWL.

CaptainAmerica

Since the new Falcon ride will also be a simulator it may make Star Tours superfluous.
That's fine. I'd rank my preferences as follows:

1. Star Tours integrated into the land
2. Star Tours rethemed to something non-Star Wars
3. Star Tours closed completely
4. Star Tours stays open but unconnected to Star Wars Land

That last option, which is what it sounds like they're going with at least temporarily, is absolutely terrible from a theming and guest aesthetic perspective. It's literally no different than sticking a Harry Potter ride in the middle of Marvel Super Hero Island or opening a Ratatouille ride in the Mexico pavilion. It's honestly a mind-bogglingly bad decision IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom