Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Bob Harlem

If that's true, that's about as big a letdown to a Star Wars fan as were episodes one, two, and three.

I think this will remain the biggest complaint about the land, it's just a "generic star-warsy location" in the newer trilogy, and that alone will put it as a really really good but not great category in the eye of quite a few. Cars Land and potter are not random locations, they are obvious recreations.

That said ti won't stop the success of it or in generally how awesome it is. It will be interesting to see how some of the choices play out. They are taking ideas from Diagon Alley for sure in it (the entrance for one, but that had extremely recognizable landmarks on the other side) and the market area looks incredibly similar to the entrance plaza at Islands of Adventure. But the droids, walk around characters, and ships/walkers etc are going to be a big part of it.

Expect a lot of merchandise purchasing, how they treat things like food & beverage are also going to be compared a lot to Potter. I love the idea of walk around characters and storytelling, but really not sure how well it'll work when the area will be slammed beyond belief the first year or so. That's one good thing about it opening on east and west coasts around the same time, it will disperse some of it.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just more proof that you can't please everyone.

The imagineers could have played it safe and just crammed Hoth, Endor and Tatooine into the new expansion and shoehorned some lame story to explain why you can walk to three separate planets separated by who knows how many light years of empty space, but they didn't.

The made a much more risky choice and created a new world and a new story that can actually include us as something more than a "Space Tourist" and where our decisions actually matter.

stretchsje

The more I look at the model, the more I think a people-mover style ride would have been AWESOME for touring this world. I can't believe they cut it from the early proposal! Imagine a tour droid explaining the history of this detailed environment! It looks like there are many stories to be told and it'll be hard to cover them all with actors.

Last edited:

thepirateking

Why are people commenting a land opening 5+ years after Potter looks better than Potter? We all knew that was going to happen and it's because of Potter. SWL will look great which will make Super Nintendo World to step their game up and that cycle will continue. It's a great time to be a theme park fan.

Because this level of investment/quality is/was not a given. It would have been foolish not to build something at/above the level of Potter, but it's happened before (e.g., Toy Story "Land"). I think the scope of this model gives people a lot of confidence that the finished product will be amazing.

CinematicFusion

Ok...I kinda don't get it.

(Yet?)

Big, big SW fan since the 70's.

Where are the iconic scenes and lands that we'd be excited to explore like I hear the Potter lands were done?

Maybe these are from the more recent movies? Name the lands, name the planets.

Hoth? Endor? Tatooine? Dagobah? Inside a Death Star?

So far, meh.

I don't want to explore the lands I've seen 1 million times. I love they created a new outpost on the outer rim of the galaxy. They put in tons of details and winks to iconic images in this land. Amazing imagination....incredible land to explore. Based on the scaled land, avatar opening, art work.... we are in for a real treat.
However, might have to wait a year for the crowds to die down. This place is gonna be packed.

CinematicFusion

I guess it's great you guys are all on board with that. I'm super bummed.

The reason Harry Potter is amazing is because you can walk through the movie (hmmm..."ride the movie," where did I hear that before?)

That experience via Star Wars would have been mind blowing. They could have easily done 3 different areas/planets to answer all the questions above.

Our annual passes end in September, and we're going out with a bang (splurgy trip, really looking forward to it.) We had already planned to do a Disney Cruise (our first) next, probably in 2018 or 19.

My priority before going to see SWL will be to finally see Potter. That sounds much more exciting to me, and like I said, I am a huge SW fan since 20 years before Potter borrowed so much from it.

I'll get to it eventually, and I'm sure it will be fine. But I'm in no hurry to see a fake Star Wars land that has no relation to the movies except the characters pop up in them.

Maybe it's better Uni got Potter after all.

You are riding the movie... every Star Wars film has always aimed to take you to another location. (Except tattooine...always seem to get back there) I'm impressed, it's going to be an amazing area. For Star Wars fans....yes it will be better then potter. For potter fans, no...they will like their land. For theme park enthusiasts, this is a win win win across the board. Amazing places to explore.

bclane

Just more proof that you can't please everyone.

The imagineers could have played it safe and just crammed Hoth, Endor and Tatooine into the new expansion and shoehorned some lame story to explain why you can walk to three separate planets separated by who knows how many light years of empty space, but they didn't.

The made a much more risky choice and created a new world and a new story that can actually include us as something more than a "Space Tourist" and where our decisions actually matter.
True. I understand why people want to visit the familiar planets but I'm stoked about Disney's choices for this and dying to experience the interactive aspect of this new planet. One of the joys of each new Star Wars movie for me is to discover the new worlds (and all that goes with them) that we get to visit during the films. Here is a brand new one we've never seen but that clearly fits within the Star Wars universe! My dream is that they are already planning something Star Wars related for every park. If it were up to me, they'd start with Kashyyyk for Animal Kingdom.

dreamscometrue

I guess it's great you guys are all on board with that. I'm super bummed.

The reason Harry Potter is amazing is because you can walk through the movie (hmmm..."ride the movie," where did I hear that before?)

That experience via Star Wars would have been mind blowing. They could have easily done 3 different areas/planets to answer all the questions above.

Our annual passes end in September, and we're going out with a bang (splurgy trip, really looking forward to it.) We had already planned to do a Disney Cruise (our first) next, probably in 2018 or 19.

My priority before going to see SWL will be to finally see Potter. That sounds much more exciting to me, and like I said, I am a huge SW fan since 20 years before Potter borrowed so much from it.

I'll get to it eventually, and I'm sure it will be fine. But I'm in no hurry to see a fake Star Wars land that has no relation to the movies except the characters pop up in them.

Maybe it's better Uni got Potter after all.
I find this sentiment very strange. But, to each his or her own. I'm sure you will enjoy Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. It's good.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's Christmas in July!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!! Holy cow that looks amazing! I can't believe I get to take my kids to an Outer Rim planet in two years and be a part of the Resistance. Seeing this model just woke up my inner child in a way that I haven't felt since seeing Han Solo in the first Force Awakens trailer the first time. My goodness Disney, just take all my money already! We are so blessed boys and girls!!! :):geek::inlove::joyfull::happy::cool::D

Have you sent Disney your checking account number and bank routing number yet? Might as well. :D

What they don't tell you about this model is 75% of it is really ride queue

What you say in jest... The whole land is basically just one giant queue (with the exception of the actual ride portion of the rides). The question is: What are you doing while waiting for the ride? Are you standing in a shuffling switchback, or are you being entertained by a pre-show and feasting on the depth of the scenery? Are you just milling around waiting for your FP, or are you watching shows, interacting with CMs who are in character, or eating at an off-world restaurant?

For people who are ride-centric, Disney can be very disappointing outside the MK (and even then, if you don't have children, MK can get old fast). The depth of the land might seen extravagant or irrelevant to them. But for those who can appreciate or be delighted by the theming... then the queue itself (both the actual queue and the environs) is entertainment. And if you can enjoy the theming... then one should be super-delighted by truly outstanding theming.

Well I already knew that there would be only 2 attractions in SWL so this doesn't come as a surprise but to see this really HUGE area as a model and then remember that they installed only TWO attractions here, makes you wonder what they use the remaining square footage for. I mean how many gift shops, meet and greets and restaurants can you build in one land?

See the above two paragraphs.

po1998

When it comes time to expand SWL(and you know there will be a need to make it bigger), what is more likely to happen...

1 - Additional capacity for Battle Escape and/or MF

or

2 - A 3rd attraction

???

bclane

Have you sent Disney your checking account number and bank routing number yet? Might as well. :D

What you say in jest... The whole land is basically just one giant queue (with the exception of the actual ride portion of the rides). The question is: What are you doing while waiting for the ride? Are you standing in a shuffling switchback, or are you being entertained by a pre-show and feasting on the depth of the scenery? Are you just milling around waiting for your FP, or are you watching shows, interacting with CMs who are in character, or eating at an off-world restaurant?

For people who are ride-centric, Disney can be very disappointing outside the MK (and even then, if you don't have children, MK can get old fast). The depth of the land might seen extravagant or irrelevant to them. But for those who can appreciate or be delighted by the theming... then the queue itself (both the actual queue and the environs) is entertainment. And if you can enjoy the theming... then one should be super-delighted by truly outstanding theming.

See the above two paragraphs.
Disney already has direct access to my bank account and at least two of my credit cards. I basically go to work to send money to Mickey. Lol! :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom