a bit more!
DEqbh7MV0AAg2HE.jpg

DEqbitdUIAEyZ-Q.jpg

DEqbjh2V0AAb0tY.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Ok...I kinda don't get it.

(Yet?)

Big, big SW fan since the 70's.

Where are the iconic scenes and lands that we'd be excited to explore like I hear the Potter lands were done?

Maybe these are from the more recent movies? Name the lands, name the planets.

Hoth? Endor? Tatooine? Dagobah? Inside a Death Star?

So far, meh.

Wishing Star

If that's true, that's about as big a letdown to a Star Wars fan as were episodes one, two, and three.
I actually love all 7+RO SW movies!!! So I never got disappointed.;)

here's a description
"Both Star Wars-inspired lands will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before Wild Space, where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.

Here, guests will find themselves in the middle of the action at two signature attractions: one that lets guests take the controls of Millennium Falcon on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance."
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...and-model/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4D23DPBSupport0001A

YodaMan

Did we already know the vehicles only hold 8 people for the Battle Escape? Is there just one loading platform for this? Or can we expect them to dispatch multiple vehicles at once?

No Name

Because it is like everything else. Huge crowds tend to lessen over time. They don't want to get stuck with another Imagination or Horizon that started out with 2 hour + waits only to turn into a walk on in 5 years and have a whole bunch of wasted technology.

I'm sure guests would rather a walk-on than a 2-hour wait.

A walk-on means that the ride is able to handle it's demand well. Only someone who doesn't how capacity works thinks that it means the ride isn't popular. I see no reason why higher capacity is a bad thing at all.

More stuff!
DEqcPYeUIAAp6k8.jpg

DEqcQM_U0AATPhj.jpg

DEqcQNKUMAAK-if.jpg

Eight per vehicle is better than six, that's for sure.

I naturally expected roundish vehicles, since every LPS ride so far has roundish vehicles. But I think it's good that they're a bit different.

If that's true, that's about as big a letdown to a Star Wars fan as were episodes one, two, and three.

I think it's a great thing. Recreating a place limits what characters and stories can be there, what kind of restaurants, shows, shops, etc. It holds them to a very specific part of Star Wars. Creating a new place allows them to do much more.

In fact, I wish this land didn't even fall into some sort of timeline, so that we could have Darth Vader and co. too. Not sure how I feel about a Star Wars Land without the most famous Star Wars Villain.

BrianLo

Did we already know the vehicles only hold 8 people for the Battle Escape? Is there just one loading platform for this? Or can we expect them to dispatch multiple vehicles at once?

The presumption is that 3 will be launched simultaneously. Pretty standard for a trackless. But 8 discrete seats (and not merely bench seating) is a larger than average vehicle.

Mystic Manor launches 4 cars and in theory with their bench seats can sit 6 (but commonly dispatch with less). More like 4 adults and even as low as launching with 2 people if you have two single riders.

Winnie the Pooh can seat 6 and launches three vehicles at a time, same as MM where it is more the exception that there are actually 6 people in the vehicle.

Ratatouille also seats 6 in theory, launches only three vehicles, but has two separate load platforms to improve dispatches.

This one seats 8, but there are 8 discrete seats meaning they will actually launch with the capacity far more often than not.

Karakasa

I think part of the reason they wanted a new planet was because... how do you decide which planet is the best one to represent Star Wars? Tatooine (in 5 of the 7 films) and Coruscant (being a hub world of sorts) come to mind, but I'd argue that it'd be awfully hard to recreate any part of Tattooine seen in the movies (therefore, anything of substance for a Star Wars fan) given it's primarily a flat desert and both parks rely so heavily on sightlines, and Coruscant is pretty much a generic sci-fi cityscape so not as interesting when Tomorrowland (and FW in WDW)'s so close.

Then other planets... Jakku faces the same issues as Tatooine- everywhere iconic on-planet requires sand as far as the eye can see. Hoth would be nigh-on impossible to recreate, unless they could convince people somehow a mostly uninhabited planet that's entirely ice is going through Earth-level global climate change. Endor would be easier, but there's pretty much only Ewoks there, and Lucas's push to make Ewoks the next big thing kinda failed in the 80s, so it'd fall flat. Naboo is practically infamous due to its ties with a certain Gungan. Yavin IV would just be Adventureland with spaceships. Geonosis would be almost harder than Hoth, given the Geonosians' designs and the sheer size of everything. Bespin's Cloud City is impossible without immersion-destroying sightline problems. The Death Star is an entirely enclosed space, and the Starkiller Base faces the same problems as Hoth. Mustafar is impossible for the same reasons as Hoth and Starkiller. And Kashyyyk and Felucia are way too similar to Pandora. I guess Dagobah is doable but you'd have to eschew the presence of anyone except Yoda, which is just not good for business.

This way, we can mix and match bits. Get a cantina, get an imperial hangar, get a rebel hideout, have aliens like wookies and twi'lek and rodians walking around. I much prefer this as a Star Wars fan to them giving us some backwater that works with the park's sightlines on Tatooine or something, but can't visit their most iconic places in person for "reasons".

Anyway. I really like the look of the model. It incorporates a lot of design influences from various planets- Tatooine, Bespin, and Naboo especially stick out, and it kinda reminds me of both Utapau and that planet that Maz Kanata's on in terms of "climate". I really love that fishmonger stall too- I wonder if they'll actually have fresh fish for sale? Probably not knowing WDW management, but, hey, who knows.

Tony the Tigger

I guess it's great you guys are all on board with that. I'm super bummed.

The reason Harry Potter is amazing is because you can walk through the movie (hmmm..."ride the movie," where did I hear that before?)

That experience via Star Wars would have been mind blowing. They could have easily done 3 different areas/planets to answer all the questions above.

Our annual passes end in September, and we're going out with a bang (splurgy trip, really looking forward to it.) We had already planned to do a Disney Cruise (our first) next, probably in 2018 or 19.

My priority before going to see SWL will be to finally see Potter. That sounds much more exciting to me, and like I said, I am a huge SW fan since 20 years before Potter borrowed so much from it.

I'll get to it eventually, and I'm sure it will be fine. But I'm in no hurry to see a fake Star Wars land that has no relation to the movies except the characters pop up in them.

Maybe it's better Uni got Potter after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom