Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

jt04

It's obvious that you are currently obsessing about this, but, I have to ask this question.. Why? What possible difference does it make which one is leading or isn't. I think that it is nothing even close to a race to get it done. There are still a lot of things that WDW has to do that don't even appear to be even close to being started, like the parking garage, etc.

I guess my point is even if you are right, what the hell difference does it make to anything. They will open it when the feel like it and if they have some reason that they don't want to open the DHS lands before DL then that is what they will do even if everything is finished a year ahead of the other. You are continuing the argue a point that is of no importance. Even if they surged ahead tomorrow, that doesn't mean that they will allow it to open sooner. It's just a waste of cyberspace.

Obviously there will not be a race. I am just trying to determine if they will make the decision to open them at the same time. It will be a coordinated process no matter what they decide with many factors involved and advantages/disadvantages to either strategy. I am as entertained as any fan of these adds. Just look at the views videos get of construction at SWL at DL. Us so-called obsessives are legion. Fresh-Baked!

Goofyernmost

Obviously there will not be a race. I am just trying to determine if they will make the decision to open them at the same time. It will be a coordinated process no matter what they decide with many factors involved and advantages/disadvantages to either strategy. I am as entertained as any fan of these adds. Just look at the views videos get of construction at SWL at DL. Us so-called obsessives are legion. Fresh-Baked!
Or perhaps... half baked. I don't care if you follow it or not, but, please don't pretend that any of us care if you are right or not. It will not open one second sooner then they want it to, so there are no winners. We have no control over the pace and whatever the outcome, it will be what ever it is or was planned to be. Ask yourself when the last time was that Disney completed a project on time or early. That should give you your answer right there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's obvious that you are currently obsessing about this, but, I have to ask this question.. Why? What possible difference does it make which one is leading or isn't. I think that it is nothing even close to a race to get it done. There are still a lot of things that WDW has to do that don't even appear to be even close to being started, like the parking garage, etc.

I guess my point is even if you are right, what the hell difference does it make to anything. They will open it when the feel like it and if they have some reason that they don't want to open the DHS lands before DL then that is what they will do even if everything is finished a year ahead of the other. You are continuing the argue a point that is of no importance. Even if they surged ahead tomorrow, that doesn't mean that they will allow it to open sooner. It's just a waste of cyberspace.

He cares, because if they open together, or even WDW first then it advances his agenda that "insiders" are spreading dis-information in an organized attempt to destroy WDW.

HauntedMansionFLA

I have no construction experience at all but a lot of the DL work is being done on ROA ,Fantasmic storage and the Railroad. But like @danlb_2000 said, there are the pits for the show buildings along other prep work. I don't think they have started at all with the DHS site. The DL video is fun to watch because gives us an idea of what will be happening at the DHS in a few months.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Or perhaps... half baked. I don't care if you follow it or not, but, please don't pretend that any of us care if you are right or not. It will not open one second sooner then they want it to, so there are no winners. We have no control over the pace and whatever the outcome, it will be what ever it is or was planned to be. Ask yourself when the last time was that Disney completed a project on time or early. That should give you your answer right there.
:D

For once I 101% agree with you :) :)

S 2

WDW is ahead in some aspects, behind in others. That is what makes it so fascinating. And I agree the shells of the buildings are probably set, but what I was talking about was the details that still need to be developed for both locations. Doubt it is enough that construction can't begin at either location.

It is exciting to watch, the whole process of such a large project with so much secrecy! It will be cool to see how it develops... (careful not to get sucked into the semantics of those on here who are bigger fans of starting arguments than anything Disney) ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like they have started on the Battle ride show building. They are driving in sheet pile which indicates to me that there will be at least some excavation.

upload_2016-10-30_17-1-40.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Other then height, there would be no difference between Disneyland's version and DHS if parts of DHS show building isn't underground?

My assumption is that both versions would be the exact same height, but DL's might be sunk more underground then DHS's which would mean they would either have to build up the earth around the lower part of DHS's or theme it. You can see the sheet pile laying on the ground at the bottom of the picture and they don't look long enough to me to allow for the depth that DL is going.

My assumption is that both versions would be the exact same height, but DL's might be sunk more underground then DHS's which would mean they would either have to build up the earth around the lower part of DHS's or theme it. You can see the sheet pile laying on the ground at the bottom of the picture and they don't look long enough to me to allow for the depth that DL is going.

How deep were they going at DL? This excavation is going to be in the 20-25 ft deep range I hear.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How deep were they going at DL? This excavation is going to be in the 20-25 ft deep range I hear.

That's probably around the depth of the one at DL. I tried to find a picture of the DL pit with something to use as a height reference but I haven't found anything. You were right about the pond/canal so I will take you word for it on the depth, but the sheet pile just doesn't look long enough for that. Using the frame of the town hall building as a reference, those piles appear to only be around 30' and you would have at least half the height completely underground.

Goofyernmost

Hence the conveyor belt that is transporting dirt over World Drive where they are digging out a larger retention pond to the site, to build up where needed and create the berms around the lands.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hence the conveyor belt that is transporting dirt over World Drive where they are digging out a larger retention pond to the site, to build up where needed and create the berms around the lands.

The conveyor will dump the dirt where the new parking lot is being built, but they could bring in some of the fill for SWL as well. If what @DaddyGrant said is true, then it won't be needed since DHS will go as far underground at DL.

Goofyernmost

The conveyor will dump the dirt where the new parking lot is being built, but they could bring in some of the fill for SWL as well. If what @DaddyGrant said is true, then it won't be needed since DHS will go as far underground at DL.
I'd bet on most of it being used for SWL with some residue on the parking lot. They don't have to raise the lot very high to be workable, they do have to add a lot of barriers for SWL. We'll see, I guess, but, if I had spare money to gamble I would put it on more cubic yards in SWL then the lot. That conveyor was anything but cheap a lot of earth is going that way. I suppose it's possible but DL was not built on a swamp... DHS was, they are not going to be able to go real deep without scuba gear.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'd bet on most of it being used for SWL with some residue on the parking lot. They don't have to raise the lot very high to be workable, they do have to add a lot of barriers for SWL. We'll see, I guess, but, if I had spare money to gamble I would put it on more cubic yards in SWL then the lot. That conveyor was anything but cheap a lot of earth is going that way. I suppose it's possible but DL was not built on a swamp... DHS was, they are not going to be able to go real deep without scuba gear.

I don't think they would have routed the conveyor over to the new parking area if most of the fill was going into SWL. The are where the new parking is going is wetlands and also has a retention pond in it all of which will need fill.

Most of (likely all) of the dirt will be used for the parking area. That lot is being built over swamp land so will need a lot of fill. Most likely any dirt needed for the berms in SWL will be trucked in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom