Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Empress Lilly

Personally, I would strongly prefer that Battle Escape is not interactive. Being tasked with shooting at things, etc., prevents me from being immersed in the details and realism of the experience. It becomes a game, rather than an adventure. At least that's what I think.
Ah, subtlety of thought!. I think it is a misunderstanding that more interactive is more immersive, it is seldom the case. Nor is it more engrossing.

Nland316

Is it true insiders that there was a planned 3rd Peoplemover type attraction for the land as according to Micechat's recent update? Previously I had not heard any insiders claim that there were ever anymore than 2 attractions from the very beginning.

NormC

So, with this new rendering -- the above still applies but you now have to envision the boat as a "time capsule" that transports you from the past (the wild west) to the future (Star Wars Land).
No. If you ride the boat you will not have to envision anything other than what you see on the current boat ride. If the Imagineers do their job correctly you will not see any of Star Wars Land from the boat other than rockwork and greenery.

Variable

No. If you ride the boat you will not have to envision anything other than what you see on the current boat ride. If the Imagineers do their job correctly you will not see any of Star Wars Land from the boat other than rockwork and greenery.

I don't believe the boat has ever been about being locked in the sternwheeler's "time" Liberty Square yields to views of the Frontier, and oh look, a Haunted Mansion. All of that crosses a couple of hundred years. Getting a nice glance over the wall at SW isn't inconsistent with that. The train runs around everything, and nobody worries about time warps and such with that.

Variable

Like I said if done right you still won't have to worry about it because it won't be seen.

I want to see it! Seeing over the wall doesn't bother me at all. Even give us a little spiel "Well, look over yonder! Seems we've got some Jedi trying to beat back the forces of the evil empire! We'll have to travel through time and take a closer look at that later!" in a nice southern drawl..

Rich T

Hi @MansionButler84
...but you now have to envision the boat as a "time capsule" that transports you from the past (the wild west) to the future (Star Wars Land).
Star Wars takes place in the distant past, so actually you'd be traveling further back in time. Hopefully, all you'll see from the riverboat are waterfalls and mountaintops. It's funny, though. SW Land actually belongs more in this tucked-away-in-the-past locale than Star Tours does in DL's Tomorrowland.

po1998

I can't answer for the insiders, but yes. It is true.
So sad to hear this for several reasons...

1 - Would have been a great way to see what should be a wonderfully themed land...FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY to enjoy. Much like the peoplemover in MK, also a great way to rest your feet.

2 - A 3rd attraction for a land instead of just two, seems so much more logical.

3 - It doesn't seem like this would have sent the SWL budget spiraling out of control.

Alas, this will probably never get added at a later date.

:(

FigmentJedi

Star Wars takes place in the distant past, so actually you'd be traveling further back in time. Hopefully, all you'll see from the riverboat are waterfalls and mountaintops. It's funny, though. SW Land actually belongs more in this tucked-away-in-the-past locale than Star Tours does in DL's Tomorrowland.
Actually, it'd be pretty close to Frontierland times anyways, maybe off by a few decades.

Back in the days of the old Expanded Universe, Dark Horse Comics did an anthology comic book series called Star Wars Tales, which featured short stories varying in tone and canonicity. One strange What-If tale was called "Into the Great Unknown" where Han Solo and Chewbacca have a hyperspace malfunction and end up crash-landing on Earth in the Pacific Northwest. However, Han ends up being fatally shot by Native American archers and a grieving Chewie lays him to rest inside the Falcon. 126 years later, a certain someone finds the Falcon while searching for Bigfoot...
star-wars-tales-v5-maiuptw.jpg

So while this was just a What-If story that was never canon, some fans choose to use this as a guideline for just how long ago "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away" is.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5890342/a-chart-that-explains-how-long-ago-star-wars-actually-took-place

Last edited:

Siren

You have a vivid imagination and I enjoy your optimism. I hope sight lines work out at DL.
Hi @MansionButler84! Awww. Thank you so much for being a *great* sport about it! LOL.

Hang on - the two attractions are getting mixed up here:

Falcon: Flight simulator cockpits that, once loaded, move onto an omnimover chain, loop around, and then back to unload.
Battle Escape: Group of trackless vehicles that load up traditionally (so far as we know) and then embark on a Remy's Adventure / Mystic Manor style ride, some times remaining together, sometimes experiencing portions individually.
This is what kind of bothers me about Star Wars land. The rides seem way too similar and people are already getting confused. Avatarland guests will have an opportunity to enjoy two distinct experiences -- a beautiful, mysterious but peaceful boat ride and an exhilarating flying simulator ride. It's a nice balance.

Star Wars land already has Star Tours, so all Falcon and Battle Escape seem too similar. The Falcon ride sounds like a mix of Mission Space and Astro Orbitor. I was hoping Battle Escape was like Gringotts or even just a little bit like Dinosaur. I don't have a comment on this ride yet but the trackless feature sounds really high tech and exciting!!!

Siren

Hi @NormC! Thanks, that makes sense! The white boat looks very tall *but* if the Captain steers the boat close to the shoreline like and almost under the train tracks and rocks it will be impossible for people to see anything. Not to mention, the rocks look very high. Regardless, Disney's rock work is breathtakingly gorgeous so that alone will be a real sight to see!

Hi @Rich T! Wait, so Star Wars takes place in the past? Like, I can't believe I did not know that!! Thanks so much for telling me. That is funny! LOL.

Actually, it'd be pretty close to Frontierland times anyways, maybe off by a few decades.

Back in the days of the old Expanded Universe, Dark Horse Comics did an anthology comic book series called Star Wars Tales, which featured short stories varying in tone and canonicity. One strange What-If tale was called "Into the Great Unknown" where Han Solo and Chewbacca have a hyperspace malfunction and end up crash-landing on Earth in the Pacific Northwest. However, Han ends up being fatally shot by Native American archers and a grieving Chewie lays him to rest inside the Falcon. 126 years later, a certain someone finds the Falcon while searching for Bigfoot...
star-wars-tales-v5-maiuptw.jpg

So while this was just a What-If story that was never canon, some fans choose to use this as a guideline for just how long ago "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away" is.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5890342/a-chart-that-explains-how-long-ago-star-wars-actually-took-place
OMG, seriously? Like, I haven't even beat the learning curve for Avatarland, as yet! Well, at least I have plenty of time to get caught up. Maybe. LOL.

Not sure where to put this but got some pics heading in to DHS tonight.
Oh wow! Thanks for the great pics! This totally belongs in Dan's aerial thread, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom