Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JohnWD

Okay. I'm not going to complain about it anymore. I just don't want DHS's version of Star Wars Land to be an afterthought or an inferior version of Disneyland's. And, it is a valid concern, just look at the Space Mountain rides. Not to mention, the sheer amount of attractions that Disneyland has compared to MK.

With that said, I promise to be more optimistic about this. LOL.

DLR is a shadow of WDW! Don't begrudge the love bestowed on DL when it's younger sister was given the beauty and charm. In the real world (not the wdwmagic forum world), it makes perfect sense that one has to be done before the other one. Since I live so close to DLR, I really have no opinion on which should come first. However, if DHS is somehow inferior (again, in the real world), I will be very disappointed. I will judge for myself as far as how fun each is, and as always, I will not be looking for the little things to criticize, but instead will be having a blast. Just the Stormtroopers added to DHS was both exciting and foreboding - "you are here under the authority of me". :eek: I can't wait!!

Next Big Thing

I would love if there was a upper level. That would add scale, and perspective and a great place to hang out and people watch. The sad reality now days is so many people are simply lazy and probably wouldn't go up there unless there was some attraction or ride worth the extra effort. Also, there are the access/safety issues such as ADA compliance etc..
This hasn't stopped the 2nd and 3rd level buildings in Disney Springs. All you gotta do is put food up there and people will gravitate ;)

Goofyernmost

This hasn't stopped the 2nd and 3rd level buildings in Disney Springs. All you gotta do is put food up there and people will gravitate ;)
If they are public facilities with multiple floors then there, by law, has to have access for the disabled. That means that even a 'lazy' person can traverse it with little or no problem. That is one of the reasons given, btw, for why there is no second floor at Imagination. It didn't have enough access and regress to safely have disabled people be allowed. As long as it was the original built back in the early 80's it was grandfathered in as allowed. Once they went in and modified the building it also had to be retro-fitted to have sufficient handicap access. Instead they just shut it down, problem solved.

Last edited:

azox

Yep. Hence my nod to JII ;)

Though if it were to stop, move, stop, move slowly the lateral movement wouldn't be perceptible whilst sat on a motion base that itself is moving.

Would the passengers be facing inward toward the center of the circle so that they feel some G-forces similar to Mission space while flying?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Would the passengers be facing inward toward the center of the circle so that they feel some G-forces similar to Mission space while flying?
Noooo.... I think the rotation would make Cinderellas (or whoever it is this week) carousel seem like warp speed.

The carousel arrangement is to facilitate higher capacity and maintain show as opposed to creating any dynamic forces.

PorterRedkey

Noooo.... I think the rotation would make Cinderellas (or whoever it is this week) carousel seem like warp speed.

The carousel arrangement is to facilitate higher capacity and maintain show as opposed to creating any dynamic forces.

So the rotation would be more to help keep the illusion of entering a cockpit as well as for capacity?

Capsin4

Excellent find! But I keep thinking of how to move people from a stationary floor to a moving one without them noticing. There could be some sort of hallway on the turntable that holds still, as people enter into it, then doors close behind it, and then the hallway starts moving along with the turntable in sync with a cockpit... my head is hurting as to how this would work, but I think there is a way.

Roman Rapids at BG Williamsburg is pretty much the exact set up. Elevated platform crosses the ride path and leads to a central, stationary platform. Stepping onto the moving platform is no worse than stepping onto an escalator. Though with that ride, exiting and entering the vehicle happens at the same time essentially.

HauntedMansionFLA

britain

Roman Rapids at BG Williamsburg is pretty much the exact set up. Elevated platform crosses the ride path and leads to a central, stationary platform. Stepping onto the moving platform is no worse than stepping onto an escalator. Though with that ride, exiting and entering the vehicle happens at the same time essentially.

Yes, but stepping onto something moving as fast as an escalator when trying to maintain the illusion of walking from one part of a ship to another won't do.

Siren

I would be shocked if the Keelboats return. I think it's just artistic license. The Mark Twain will certainly be there. On the other hand, Sailing Ship Columbia is quite tall. Will we see its mast from inside SWL? I think the location of SWL out west leaves much to be desired.
Hi @MansionButler84! You're totally looking at this the wrong way.
1-16-wdi-9001-full.jpg

The gorgeous concept art just above is reminiscent of a visit to the countryside -- on a brisk early morning. And, I'm wearing a beautiful warm poncho/cape with faux fur around the hood, stylish leggings and a pair of UGG's. If you attempt to flame me about wearing UGG's, I do not care. I *love* UGG's and wearing them is like walking on clouds. I still love Crocs, too -- but have been shamed out of wearing them in public. LOL.

Anyway, I envision disembarking off the boat onto land and entering a lush forest filled with trails and log cabins with crackling fireplaces - flap jacks on the griddle - berry cobbler bubbling over in the oven - and, just a hint of maple syrup in the air. Oh, and hot chocolate on the stove with marshmallows. It's a divine country adventure.

2uh8v21.jpg

So, with this new rendering -- the above still applies but you now have to envision the boat as a "time capsule" that transports you from the past (the wild west) to the future (Star Wars Land). Since, there are no actual stops you are just passing through. And, I'm still wearing the same thing -- actually, those pieces work together better in Star Wars Land than the countryside. LOL. Anyway, I hope this helps, so just have fun with it.

Also, I just read that Disney Imagineers and executives were just on Tom Sawyers Island, so there may be plans in the works. We'll see.

Siren

DLR is a shadow of WDW! Don't begrudge the love bestowed on DL when it's younger sister was given the beauty and charm. In the real world (not the wdwmagic forum world), it makes perfect sense that one has to be done before the other one. Since I live so close to DLR, I really have no opinion on which should come first. However, if DHS is somehow inferior (again, in the real world), I will be very disappointed. I will judge for myself as far as how fun each is, and as always, I will not be looking for the little things to criticize, but instead will be having a blast. Just the Stormtroopers added to DHS was both exciting and foreboding - "you are here under the authority of me". :eek: I can't wait!!
Hi @JohnWD! Okay, I totally agree with you and thanks for being the voice of reason here. I really want to have a blast with this, too!

So, I promise not to nitpick or look for little things just to criticize. I will just save that for Frozen at Disneyland, ugh! Just kidding. I'll be good.

Okay so, getting back on topic...

66db2r.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the actual Millennium Falcon featured in the Star Wars movie.

You can see that the cockpit consists of four seats. I don't think Disney wants to compromise the integrity of this experience, so they will attempt to keep everything as authentic to the movie as possible.

2whj96q.jpg

This is a screen shot of the actual Millennium Falcon ride, which is pretty much identical to the movie. So, I think it will be a four person ride and somewhat similar to Mission Space where each passenger is assigned a specific role and task based solely upon seating.

rlgsyh.jpg

And, this is a screen shot for the second ride. It looks like a first shooter kind of ride but I hope it's going to be like Gringott's -- part coaster and part dark ride comprised with a combination of stunning animatronics and screens.

I can't wait for more details!

ToTBellHop

Hi @MansionButler84! You're totally looking at this the wrong way.
1-16-wdi-9001-full.jpg

The gorgeous concept art just above is reminiscent of a visit to the countryside -- on a brisk early morning. And, I'm wearing a beautiful warm poncho/cape with faux fur around the hood, stylish leggings and a pair of UGG's. If you attempt to flame me about wearing UGG's, I do not care. I *love* UGG's and wearing them is like walking on clouds. I still love Crocs, too -- but have been shamed out of wearing them in public. LOL.

Anyway, I envision disembarking off the boat onto land and entering a lush forest filled with trails and log cabins with crackling fireplaces - flap jacks on the griddle - berry cobbler bubbling over in the oven - and, just a hint of maple syrup in the air. Oh, and hot chocolate on the stove with marshmallows. It's a divine country adventure.

2uh8v21.jpg

So, with this new rendering -- the above still applies but you now have to envision the boat as a "time capsule" that transports you from the past (the wild west) to the future (Star Wars Land). Since, there are no actual stops you are just passing through. And, I'm still wearing the same thing -- actually, those pieces work together better in Star Wars Land than the countryside. LOL. Anyway, I hope this helps, so just have fun with it.

Also, I just read that Disney Imagineers and executives were just on Tom Sawyers Island, so there may be plans in the works. We'll see.
You have a vivid imagination and I enjoy your optimism. I hope sight lines work out at DL.

Kman101

I don't think the battle attraction is a 'shooter' one. I think people see the lasers being shot by the stormtroopers and assume it is. JMO. It could very well be and I missed that statement. Could you imagine trying to fire something during Gringotts? LOL, no.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't think the battle attraction is a 'shooter' one. I think people see the lasers being shot by the stormtroopers and assume it is. JMO. It could very well be and I missed that statement. Could you imagine trying to fire something during Gringotts? LOL, no.
The kinetics wouldn't lend themselves to being a full shooter. Expect the vehicles to stop quite a lot. Unless they want another TSMM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom