Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ctrlaltdel

Martin is wise in the ways of the Force.

I mentioned a long time ago (this galaxy, but I was posting from pretty far away), that the really interesting thing about this attraction is that the end result is going to be exactly what you'd expect out of the concept - you fly the Falcon. You walk through the space port and head up into the Falcon and go into the cockpit and sit down and have your adventure. Honestly, if it goes according to plan - the real knock your socks off feature behind this is how seamless it should be (if it works). Once you are strapped in, it'll be pretty much like you'd expect a simulated flight on the Falcon to be.

The tech behind this should be amazing. Everyone will think they are in the same Falcon cockpit. Instead, it will be a cockpit on an pseudo Omnimover. This is where the early word was making a Forbidden Journey comparison from. It's not a true Kuka range of motion; but, it should be enough to allow for some interesting flight dynamics. I'm still not clear how the loading/unloading process will work exactly. I think it may work like FJ's disability load/unload with the RV's entering the next open spot in the carousel - "One Little Spark" indeed.

If it works the way it's supposed to, it will be the Star Wars fan's equivalent of a trip on the Hogwarts Express or going through Hogwarts Castle.

I haven't heard anything recent re: capacity; but, was initially told 2400/pph. Which is good by modern Disney E standards.
Sounds incredible. The tech does sound like an interesting mish-mash. Interesting difference from Martin on the capacity #s. I would hope/ if the ride system is Omnimover-esque that capacity would be higher than 1900/pph. FJ is about 2800/pph correct? Having two E anchor the land will help as well, especially if the Battle Attraction has similar or higher capacity.

hpyhnt 1000

I mentioned a long time ago (this galaxy, but I was posting from pretty far away), that the really interesting thing about this attraction is that the end result is going to be exactly what you'd expect out of the concept - you fly the Falcon. You walk through the space port and head up into the Falcon and go into the cockpit and sit down and have your adventure. Honestly, if it goes according to plan - the real knock your socks off feature behind this is how seamless it should be (if it works). Once you are strapped in, it'll be pretty much like you'd expect a simulated flight on the Falcon to be.

The tech behind this should be amazing. Everyone will think they are in the same Falcon cockpit. Instead, it will be a cockpit on an pseudo Omnimover. This is where the early word was making a Forbidden Journey comparison from. It's not a true Kuka range of motion; but, it should be enough to allow for some interesting flight dynamics. I'm still not clear how the loading/unloading process will work exactly. I think it may work like FJ's disability load/unload with the RV's entering the next open spot in the carousel - "One Little Spark" indeed.

If it works the way it's supposed to, it will be the Star Wars fan's equivalent of a trip on the Hogwarts Express or going through Hogwarts Castle.

I haven't heard anything recent re: capacity; but, was initially told 2400/pph. Which is good by modern Disney E standards.

Good.....GOOOOOOOOOD!

This is sounding like a true E-ticket in every sense (potentially).

azox

Well the chances of me riding in Shanghai are about zero.
I won't argue that grizzly gives more bang for the buck.
But what's proper and what's long enough, complete, just aren't quantifiable.
Most of us want a long wait to bring something "worth" that wait.

Non raft: splash delivers, Tsmm doesn't. For me.

It's just so fuzzy.

In the last week I've waited 5 minutes for a cheap "fast food burger" and 45 minutes for a "real steakhouse burger" at more than twice the price.
Shorter and cheaper was better.

Ride Popeye at Islands of Adventure and you will see how great a raft ride can really be. Great length of ride and show elements. Grizzly looks decent as was disneylands raft ride, but I still think Popeye nailed it.

Jones14

This is complete and utter speculation, but I'm thinking that there's going to be a max of four people per pod, unless they're going to drastically alter the dimensions and/or the canonical point of entry. With that in mind, I'm thinking that only the front (two) seats will be truly interactive. The back two will be largely spectator seats, which I think could work out well with a single rider line that is put to good use. Parties of one or two from standby or Fastpass will have the appropriate number of single riders paired with them to sit in the spectator seats, and obviously parties of three or more will have at least a portion of their group in the interactive seats. That's the best option I can come up with to be accurate to the description and meet Martin's number, but again, it's all speculation, and he did mention that he would assume six per pod.

azox

I think it's that there will be six guests per pod. But six people can't all be the pilot. Could be a bit over zealous PR.

"Go left!"

"No right!"

"No I want left as well"

Unless one guest will be assigned "pilot".

Sounds like a ride on Buzz Lightyears space ranger spin :) No pilot assignments there ! :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's not a true Kuka range of motion; but, it should be enough to allow for some interesting flight dynamics..
It should be the same six axis as Star Tours, but the smaller base could in theory make it wilder. The projection system is intriguing, especially the forth projector. I'm glad they've gone for something that offers some parallax as opposed to a closed cabin.

The whole ride system is both simple but complex, and potentially brilliant. Like you said if it all works. Though they will have enough of them to make work. Capacity has indeed been flagged as an issue. It won't be a people eater but I think the.... method used should help.

Last edited:

Variable

It's possible that it's so complex, one will have to ride it repeatedly over a number of years to finally figure it out

It's a difficult job, but someone has to do it !

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I think it's that there will be six guests per pod. But six people can't all be the pilot. Could be a bit over zealous PR.

"Go left!"

"No right!"

"No I want left as well"

Unless one guest will be assigned "pilot".
Is it possible that it could be setup front and back like Toy Story with 3 and 3 guests on either side? That would theoretically allow for two pilots and four gunners?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hopefully these rides wont be too intense as again the target is really for people of all ages which relates to how SW is supposed to be a multi generation classic
I don't think it'll be too intense. Falcon is akin to ST with special consideration for those who can't handle a full motion base. The Battle attraction I'd say is pitched just below Transformers for physical intensity and similar in experience.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

This is complete and utter speculation, but I'm thinking that there's going to be a max of four people per pod, unless they're going to drastically alter the dimensions and/or the canonical point of entry. With that in mind, I'm thinking that only the front (two) seats will be truly interactive. The back two will be largely spectator seats, which I think could work out well with a single rider line that is put to good use. Parties of one or two from standby or Fastpass will have the appropriate number of single riders paired with them to sit in the spectator seats, and obviously parties of three or more will have at least a portion of their group in the interactive seats. That's the best option I can come up with to be accurate to the description and meet Martin's number, but again, it's all speculation, and he did mention that he would assume six per pod.
In my opinion, and believe me, it is strictly my opinion, many people have differing ideas about what "interactive" means. In the world of theme parks, interactive usually means stuff like we find on M:S. It has to be a controlled outcome with the riders simply reacting to what is going on around them. If anything else were true most of the flights would end up with a crew smashed to pieces against the interplanetary mountains. An outside source will be guiding things, I feel almost positive about that. Heck, they can't even get a few AA's to work reliably on a simple boat ride, how does anyone expect some "let me drive" experience. If that were even attempted it doesn't really matter when they build it, it will be in test mode until 2050. I think I will be to old to ride it when I'm 102.

Variable

"most of the flights would end up with a crew smashed to pieces against the interplanetary mountains."

I'd wager that a vast majority of early flights on X-Plane, MS FS, others, are deliberate crashes to see what happens. This is going to be the end of a great many rider controlled sessions, because, especially frequent riders, are going to want to experience every iteration, every scenario Much to the dismay of the unsuspecting fellow travelers.

britain

The projection system is intriguing, especially the forth projector. I'm glad they've gone for something that offers some parallax as opposed to a closed cabin.

What's a forth projector? Is there such a thing as a back projector? Or should it have been fourth?

Also, if it's omnimover - then it's a chain that doesn't end or slow or stop... does that mean the load... hmm... I'm envisioning a hallway leading to the cockpit that sits on a turntable like Kali rapids.

Variable

What's a forth projector? Is there such a thing as a back projector? Or should it have been fourth?

Also, if it's omnimover - then it's a chain that doesn't end or slow or stop... does that mean the load... hmm... I'm envisioning a hallway leading to the cockpit that sits on a turntable like Kali rapids.

Oh, they slow and stop. Far too often

TP2000

The whole ride system is both simple but complex, and potentially brilliant. Like you said if it all works. Though they will have enough of them to make work. Capacity has indeed been flagged as an issue. It won't be a people eater but I think the.... method used should help.

Your explanations here, which are fantastic, remind me of a WDI patent application image that was circulating a few years ago.

This one...
20130059670-001.jpg

britain

Your explanations here, which are fantastic, remind me of a WDI patent application image that was circulating a few years ago.

This one...

Excellent find! But I keep thinking of how to move people from a stationary floor to a moving one without them noticing. There could be some sort of hallway on the turntable that holds still, as people enter into it, then doors close behind it, and then the hallway starts moving along with the turntable in sync with a cockpit... my head is hurting as to how this would work, but I think there is a way.

Mike S

Wow this stinks...
The third ride was to be a unique internal transport system that would have had riders sitting in carriages attached to giant autonomous Bantha-like animatronics who would have grunted and trundled along an elevated roadway taking visitors on a grand circle tour of the entire land. Sort of a cross between Main Street’s horseless carriages and the PeopleMover weaving through Tomorrowland’s buildings. The ride would have offered a unique view of the land and given the streetscapes kinetic energy, as well as offering up additional ride capacity that wouldn’t have had a height requirement.
bantha-star-wars.jpeg

But the notoriously cheap Orlando execs balked at the cost (including the long term maintenance) and put down their trump card to get the ride axed from the Star Wars plans, even though three of their parks have measly rosters of just a half dozen rides per park. That Orlando trump card is now gone, and if they want to continue to be cheap in Orlando they can, but it will be much harder for those decisions to impact Anaheim.
http://micechat.com/132030-disneyland-rumor-update-one-disney/

Would've been such a great addition for DHS which lacks rides like this and Disneyland which lost its PeopleMover :(

Thanks phoenicians

The marvel and Frozen plans at DCA and DL are very interesting and will be a great help in trying to spread out the crowds. I really hope the new e ticket and TSL can help spread traffic but I'm not sure they'll help enough. Something more than GOTG in Epcot would hopefully help draw more people there and away from DHS.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom