Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

180º

Martin, you said it would be a mirror image of Disneyland's, but according to your drawing and description that doesn't seem to be the case. Am I missing something?

(Thank you for sharing your knowledge and illustrations, by the way!)

doctornick

Actually, does this help?

View attachment 151051

So cool to see. Makes me curious about a few things...

Do any of those buildings in the "market area" house any "attractions"? Surely, there's a M&G somewhere, but I'm hoping there will also be a plussed indoor jedi academy that has been long rumored.

Are the food places right next to each other in SW? Seems like they'd have to be based on the design, but I hope one would be on the other side of the land. Given that it is a sizeable land, I'd hope there would be something on the side of the battle attraction as well.

HauntedMansionFLA

Do any of those buildings in the "market area" house any "attractions"? Surely, there's a M&G somewhere, but I'm hoping there will also be a plussed indoor jedi academy that has been long rumored.

Are the food places right next to each other in SW? Seems like they'd have to be based on the design, but I hope one would be on the other side of the land. Given that it is a sizeable land, I'd hope there would be something on the side of the battle attraction as well.
You would think there would an indoor jedi academy for the younger kids - using Yoda like Crush is used over at Nemo.

Siren

The boats have nothing to do with Star Wars Land. DisneyLAND had boats on the Rivers of America before Star Wars Land construction started. Next year once they have reduced the size of the Rivers of America some of the boats will start running again. Star Wars Land will open much later and the boats and train will not drop guests into Star Wars Land.

There is completely different concept artwork on the walls at DHS that shows the edge of Toy Story Land.
Hi @Jon81uk! Okay, thanks. It's too bad that the boats and train can't make a stop at Star Wars land. But, I am happy that Disney didn't ax them all together and guests will be treated to some really amazing views of Star Wars land.

Based on revenue HP west actually has been a success. Attendance? You have to take into account that Universal made a drastic move before HP opened to avoid a mad rush of local APs: they skyrocketed the price of an AP almost forcing people to instead go for one day tickets. They nipped the problem in the bud before it got as bad as it is at Disneyland. I'm not saying I agree with it but that's what they did.
Hi @Mike S! Thanks, that's really interesting. The bias between Disney and Universal is totally annoying to me.

Just imagine if Disney were to skyrocket the price at the last minute right before the opening of Star Wars Land or something -- there would be torches and pitchforks and petitions in the street or whatever. But, when Universal does it, everyone turns a blind eye and act like it didn't happen. /rant

I believe if HP West had created an entirely new land, they may have attracted massive international crowds that would not care about AP price increases like last time.

Anyway, I am glad HP West is a success and it will definitely keep Disney from getting too complacent.

Siren

I went to Hogsmeade & Diagon Alley in Orlando for this first time this year. Haven't been to Cars Land though as airfare is too expensive to travel that far mainly for one land. Ofcourse some people still go, but unless you have a reason the majority doesn't. I have a friend that went because his mom was on a business trip in May, and a cousin who went last ear for a science fair as he got second for Alabama, so I think having them both cloned works fine unless you have a special occasion, but then it may end up causing you a trip to WDW if you go to California. So I think having clones works perfectly fine as long as there are some originals. Like The California Screamin' or Spaceship Earth.
Hi @David2319! In this case, I totally disagree. In part, because I don't believe that Disneyland needs a Star Wars land in the first place. It's really not a good fit there. DHS had the Star Wars party every year and is in desperate need of Star Wars Land. Disneyland was fine.

Not to mention, the Star Wars IP is just far too rich in content for identical "clones". The DHS version will be second hand and cheap(er). Very exciting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I assume there will be an academy but I've not seen one. From what I have seen it does appear all the food will be in the same area.

Daveeeeed

Hi @David2319! In this case, I totally disagree. In part, because I don't believe that Disneyland needs a Star Wars land in the first place. It's really not a good fit there. DHS had the Star Wars party every year and is in desperate need of Star Wars Land. Disneyland was fine.

Not to mention, the Star Wars IP is just far too rich in content for identical "clones". The DHS version will be second hand and cheap(er). Very exciting.
I agree 100% that it should have been different (the rides could have been clones, but he land different). But even most Disney fanatics will not go to Disneyland even close to often if you are on the east coast and vice versa, and that is already a relatively small chunk of the public. So it being cloned really has no impact on pretty much anyone and they'll both be ultra top notch especially being that they are identical so they can fix things easier if there's a problem with one.

The best things about a clone is that people won't feel filled that their version is not as good. Of course the reason for a company would probably be money, but they can also get this done more precisely, better, and faster by making it a clone.

Now for Star Wars being in Disneyland park. Agreed, but at the same time if DCA is getting Marvel in the future Disneyland Park needed something to compensate. Not to mention both coasts need and deserve Star Wars Land. It can only make the park better, but definitely DHS needed it more as the park's overhaul will be anchored on it and have it and sunset boulevard as the focal points.

I don't think Star Wars land itself will be cheaper at DHS, I do think Disneyland got better though because of the great additions to Rivers of America, but that was only because it was modifying it. I don't know why they are making it after, it seems like it might work better (maybe a matter of convenience) or to space out additions to WDW.

Last edited:

Siren

I'm sorry, but, all of California did not travel to Orlando to see HP. If it isn't as much of a draw there it is probably a regional thing. Not everyone is totally enamored by HP. I know I wouldn't walk across the street if it were just to see it. Having it in two places just allows the real fans to experience something they like in a more affordable way. An example of that is Soarin. Do you see a third theater in California? Even though it started there, it isn't the draw that it is in Orlando. I saw Soarin the first time in 2005 in DCA. It was a walk on. The only time it was a walk in Florida was at night after the attraction has closed.
I didn't say that all of California traveled to Orlando to see HP. And, I thought the issue for Soarin' was capacity. Epcot does not have enough rides for the amount of visitors that frequent the park. If there were more rides, the demand for Soarin' would go way down.

With that said, I totally see your point now. I guess that I am just now realizing that the expectations for HP West was tempered and suited to be more in line with drawing in the local demographic there as opposed to international crowds.

I just don't think Star Wars at Disneyland makes sense. DHS has always been the official Star Wars park. It's not a big deal, just slightly annoying. I'm totally over it. LOL.

Siren

The boat you refer to appears to be a Mike Fink Keelboat, resurrected for this concept art. The "boardwalk" is actually the new DLRR trestle going past the new land, next to a rock wall that hides the contents from the train.
Hi @Brian Swan! Thank you, I had no idea what a Mike Fink Keelboat was, so I just googled it. How neat!

keelboats_berthamae1959cl.jpg

I totally think you're right. The boat in the rendering did *not* look like a canoe to me. It had some kind of battleship shape to it. LOL. I wonder if Disneyland is going to bring these boats back! That would be so awesome!

Personally, I like the idea of it opening in CA first, and I hope every die-hard SW fan flocks to it... and then stays away from WDW when it opens. It's going to be crazy-crowded no matter what, but any pressure that CA can take off of WDW, the better.
Um, no. DHS has always been the official Star Wars park, so they really deserved to have Star Wars Land *first*. And once again, I can't find any justification for Star Wars Land at Disneyland.

Daveeeeed

@marni1971 First off I want to thank you for all the incredible contributions you make to these forums for all of us, and I must say fantastic sketch! I noticed something quite odd though, on the area in Star Wars land bordering GMR, and the TSM show building there is pretty much nothing but trees. Do you know if it will be like that or if there will be some miscellaneous buildings, stands, and possibly shops? Also do you know the approximate height of the mountains/towers, and if the Millennium Falcon will be full scale? Any thoughts on Star Tours' queue connecting to Star Wars Land? Thank you so much and sorry for the tremendous amount of questions:)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 First off I want to thank you for all the incredible contributions you make to these forums for all of us, and I must say fantastic sketch! I noticed something quite odd though, on the area in Star Wars land bordering GMR, and the TSM show building there is pretty much nothing but trees. Do you know if it will be like that or if there will be some miscellaneous buildings, stands, and possibly shops? Also do you know the approximate height of the mountains/towers, and if the Millennium Falcon will be full scale? Any thoughts on Star Tours' queue connecting to Star Wars Land? Thank you so much and sorry for the tremendous amount of questions:)
Thank you. I'll try what I can.

From what I know, so far, between SWL and the GMR building will be a lightly themed berm. Possibly usable for a phase two. But nothing dramatic at this time.

No idea about heights but I'd say forced perspective will make them look far taller than they are. The battle attraction show building will be quite high (I'd imagine at least GMR building height) so there is a bit to hide.

My first thought of the Falcon prop was "a bit small" but time will tell.

As it stands there will be no direct link to Star Tours. All traffic will go via what was the end of New York Street.

Siren

I agree 100% that it should have been different (the rides could have been clones, but he land different). But even most Disney fanatics will not go to Disneyland even close to often if you are on the east coast and vice versa, and that is already a relatively small chunk of the public. So it being cloned really has no impact on pretty much anyone and they'll both be ultra top notch especially being that they are identical so they can fix things easier if there's a problem with one.

The best things about a clone is that people won't feel filled that their version is not as good. Of course the reason for a company would probably be money, but they can also get this done more precisely, better, and faster by making it a clone.

Now for Star Wars being in Disneyland park. Agreed, but at the same time if DCA is getting Marvel in the future Disneyland Park needed something to compensate. Not to mention both coasts need and deserve Star Wars Land. It can only make the park better, but definitely DHS needed it more as the park's overhaul will be anchored on it and have it and sunset boulevard as the focal points.

I don't think Star Wars land itself will be cheaper at DHS, I do think Disneyland got better though because of the great additions to Rivers of America, but that was only because it was modifying it. I don't know why they are making it after, it seems like it might work better (maybe a matter of convenience) or to space out additions to WDW.
Okay. I'm not going to complain about it anymore. I just don't want DHS's version of Star Wars Land to be an afterthought or an inferior version of Disneyland's. And, it is a valid concern, just look at the Space Mountain rides. Not to mention, the sheer amount of attractions that Disneyland has compared to MK.

With that said, I promise to be more optimistic about this. LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom