Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DarthMileZ

This might blow your mind but, no one is forcing you to visit the Star Wars stuff in the studios. Crazy I know...

who said i didnt like star wars... i dont know what you are trying to say really.. lol

But yes the hype for star wars wont die because the hype has never died.

while we are on this topic. i just bought my star wars celebration tickets for london

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't know if anyone knew this, but according to WDWThemeParks:

On Tuesday, Disney will discuss new entertainment and attractions coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Disney's Animal Kingdom. The expectation is Disney will provide more information on Frozen Ever After and Soarin' Around the World at Epcot, Star Wars related offerings this summer at Hollywood Studios and Rivers of Light and other entertainment at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

On Wednesday, Disney executives are expected to talk about the new lands based on Avatar, Toy Story and Star Wars.

Does this mean they are to announce new attractions coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios that have not been announced before, or just the ones they have talked about coming to DHS. If they are announcing attractions, good news. Really good news. Which means maybe the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster finally gets announced and more!
Posting the same thing in multiple threads is a form of spam. Which can get you banned.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
How did they know that there would be a seventh film?

Here is the difference between Frozen and Star Wars. Frozen is what one major film and 2 or 3 shorts? With a 2nd feature film and another 2-3 shorts on the way? All within a few years of each other. It's a popular film in the time. The film launched was extremely popular and now it's cooling down case and point people no longer find it socially acceptable to sing let it go every 3mins. As Frozen2 gets closers the Hype train will kick up. And it will be the most popular thing ever... and then it will cool off. It's a child family film that has yet to show long term popularity.

Star wars has been around since 1977. Over 30 years of history making more cash than frozen could dream about. We are not talking 7 films we are talking 100's of books reference material games TV series etcetera that are not just sticker books to sell product but actually build the story and expand the legend. They have been releasing new material for over 30 years! That is not going to change anytime soon we have another 6 Films on their way and a ton of material to continue the star wars story. This is not to mention the hours of fan generated non cannon material and Celebration that has been held for who knows how long in Europe and the United States and attracts thousands of fans.

My opinion is that people grow with star wars and people out grow frozen. Star wars has a broad appeal it has show the ability to make a ton of cash and will show that it translates amazingly to physical theme parks. Disney has the long sought after "Potter killer" and like our good friends at uni we will see it expanded beyond its original foot print. Frozen if lucky will get a permanent home in fantasy land with maybe a ride or two. (I know it has a ride in EPCOT now but I am pretending that this is temporary and goes to MK where fairy tales belong)

WildcatDen

Have you heard if phase 3 is scattered around the park with mini lands and new shows as others have said or is it completely dead/pushed back?
The last I heard was very scant on detail, but I was led to believe that anything associated or assumed to be associated with a "Phase 3" is currently in a holding pattern. That being said, I do not think the rumors of new shows (some rumors are approaching a year old. . .) would not be considered phase 3 and a few of these are VERY likely to happen.
I am still hearing "Phase 3" is a fleshed out land with a tbd IP. As I said in a previous response, Serpico did say that the Phase 3 most recently discussed "makes sense" for the area being considered. Serpico is not budging off of that amount of limited detail at this point.

ToTBellHop

The last I heard was very scant on detail, but I was led to believe that anything associated or assumed to be associated with a "Phase 3" is currently in a holding pattern. That being said, I do not think the rumors of new shows (some rumors are approaching a year old. . .) would not be considered phase 3 and a few of these are VERY likely to happen.
I am still hearing "Phase 3" is a fleshed out land with a tbd IP. As I said in a previous response, Serpico did say that the Phase 3 most recently discussed "makes sense" for the area being considered. Serpico is not budging off of that amount of limited detail at this point.
To echo what you've said, as far as I know, the show updates are still coming. But, they aren't terribly expensive within a project of this magnitude. Still trying to get to the bottom of what is going on with the Phase 3 money. I would imagine things will get nailed down over the next 6-8 months.

doctornick

Here is the difference between Frozen and Star Wars. Frozen is what one major film and 2 or 3 shorts? With a 2nd feature film and another 2-3 shorts on the way? All within a few years of each other. It's a popular film in the time. The film launched was extremely popular and now it's cooling down case and point people no longer find it socially acceptable to sing let it go every 3mins. As Frozen2 gets closers the Hype train will kick up. And it will be the most popular thing ever... and then it will cool off. It's a child family film that has yet to show long term popularity.
We've seen this kind of sentiment often on this boards and I don't get it. I'm not comparing Frozen to Star Wars and I would agree that the "hype" of Frozen has somewhat died down, but I see absolutely no reason that Frozen won't maintain at least the same level of cultural persistence that other similar well received Disney films have gotten (e.g. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, BatB, Aladdin, etc.).

Decades from now, little girls will still be dressing up like Elsa and Anna and people will know the songs from the film. It certainly will maintain that level of popularity.

doctornick

To echo what you've said, as far as I know, the show updates are still coming. But, they aren't terribly expensive within a project of this magnitude. Still trying to get to the bottom of what is going on with the Phase 3 money. I would imagine things will get nailed down over the next 6-8 months.

Well, hopefully, something gets nailed down and it's more than just a ride or two. DHS would really benefit from an additional large scale build beyond TSL and SW. I'm glad to see people at least suggesting that Phase 3 is more "up in the air" as opposed to "cancelled".

Mike S

Indiana Jones if phase 3 is the old SWL spot.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
We've seen this kind of sentiment often on this boards and I don't get it. I'm not comparing Frozen to Star Wars and I would agree that the "hype" of Frozen has somewhat died down, but I see absolutely no reason that Frozen won't maintain at least the same level of cultural persistence that other similar well received Disney films have gotten (e.g. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, BatB, Aladdin, etc.).

Decades from now, little girls will still be dressing up like Elsa and Anna and people will know the songs from the film. It certainly will maintain that level of popularity.

I don't disagree with you that Frozen will be around or that girls will still dress up like Elsa and Anna. I'm making the argument that in 1989 disney released the Little Mermaid. Roughly 30 years later is the Little Mermaid popular? Yeah but not like it was in the early 90s. Star wars has been consistently popular and has enough avenues for new stories as well as producing more annual revenue than most of the "Disney classics" and eventually Frozen. I'm not bashing the classics or frozen I like them, I'm just making the point that Star Wars is as much of a "classic" as any of the Disney films and has crazy amount of staying power. Some people around here (not saying you are) talk as if Star Wars at studios is a waste because it will not be popular in 5 years. Those statements are very misguided, it's a proven franchise and deserves it's place.

Next Big Thing

All Disney has said about the planet is...

"never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars
characters and their stories come to life."

This was before TFA came out so a planet in that movie would technically have been a "never-before-seen planet". Now if they continue to call it that then we can rule out Takodana.
Takodana would work perfect though definitely. It's an earth like planet, there's a cantina, The Millennium Falcon goes there, There's a huge battle on the planet, and almost all major characters appear on the planet.

doctornick

Takodana would work perfect though definitely. It's an earth like planet, there's a cantina, The Millennium Falcon goes there, There's a huge battle on the planet, and almost all major characters appear on the planet.

Furthermore, there are rumors that the concept art used for the D23 P&R presentation was originally concept art for Takodana developed for the film.

G00fyDad

My guess (and that is all it really is) would be that they intend to use a "never before seen planet" because by doing so they remove the inconsistencies between the planet we will see or have seen with the planet they design at DHS. If they used Yavin 4 then we would expect a monolithic structure like the Massasi Temples. If they used Takodana then they would need Maz's temple. Though both of those could be done it would likely not be done well enough to lend a sense of true realism. Coruscant or any of the inner rim worlds are too populated with cities to be done properly. Tatooine and Jaku are too much of a desert to give a sense of grandeur that we would expect. Dagobah is too swampy. Dathomir would be a good choice and it would give them a great opportunity to showcase an AA of a Rancor beast.

CastleBound

Well according to the concept art, we can basically rule out pretty much any planet we know from the films. We've never seen those types of land masses yet, so it's safe to assume something completely new. Typically each planet is it's own thing (desert, city, ice, forest, water) so what we see in the concept art can be considered an entire planet that looks like that. I've never seen it before.

jt04

Well according to the concept art, we can basically rule out pretty much any planet we know from the films. We've never seen those types of land masses yet, so it's safe to assume something completely new. Typically each planet is it's own thing (desert, city, ice, forest, water) so what we see in the concept art can be considered an entire planet that looks like that. I've never seen it before.

Cappadocia

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom