Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
“We’re going to have two iconic signature attractions ...”

Not that we didn't suspect it, but Trowbridge seems to confirm Star Tours won't be a part of SWE proper.

Yeah, when they talk about Toy Story Land they talk about TSMM as part of it, but they haven't done this with Star Wars Land and Star Tours.

cjkeating

If anyone has a higher res version, I'd love to see it.

It's actually a bit of a departure from Disneyland (no second level walkway for instance, no elevation changes). A few pieces of artwork they showed are for Disneyland and not really representative.

26451703562_4bee2cdc8f_o.png

Does anyone think this piece of art makes the actual 'floor space' of SWL look rather small? I know there are 2 rides, 2 restaurants and some shops etc but it looks like you could walk through it in 30 seconds.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Does anyone think this piece of art makes the actual 'floor space' of SWL look rather small? I know there are 2 rides, 2 restaurants and some shops etc but it looks like you could walk through it in 30 seconds.

Diagon Alley at Universal is about half the size and a good part of it is taken up with the ride show building, but I could easily spend a couple hours in there.

CrescentLake

Yep, this appears to be the final nail in the coffin for SWL going in the echo lake area.

CgfMG59W8AET9Rq.jpg

Wow, looking good. What I would like to see is this concept art married to the concept art for Toy Story, overlaid on a map of the existing park. Both change the game for DHS, but to me its not enough. Here's hoping we get a thematic lift for the front of the park and at least two more rides.

Mike S

If anyone has a higher res version, I'd love to see it.

It's actually a bit of a departure from Disneyland (no second level walkway for instance, no elevation changes). A few pieces of artwork they showed are for Disneyland and not really representative.

26451703562_4bee2cdc8f_o.png
Does this mean our version is "cheaper" or just that the different parks have different needs? I really would've liked the elevated walkways.

jhendrix

I used the OLD Toy Story image (new one didn't fit too well) and the NEW Star Wars image and overlaid them on DHS. This seems to be the probable locations of each. That leaves basically the entire Streets of America for something else...

It does appear they are attempting to theme each "end" to create a smooth transition a la Magic Kingdom. For instance, Toy Story Aliens connects (marginally) well with Star Wars Land. The other "end" of Star Wars Land looks like a jungle... connecting to Indiana Jones perhaps?
disneys-hollywood-studios-star-wars-toy-story-land-jpg.138608

Attachments

• Disneys-Hollywood-Studios-Star-Wars-Toy-Story-land.jpg
    Disneys-Hollywood-Studios-Star-Wars-Toy-Story-land.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I used the OLD Toy Story image (new one didn't fit too well) and the NEW Star Wars image and overlaid them on DHS. This seems to be the probable locations of each. That leaves basically the entire Streets of America for something else...

It does appear they are attempting to theme each "end" to create a smooth transition a la Magic Kingdom. For instance, Toy Story Aliens connects (marginally) well with Star Wars Land. The other "end" of Star Wars Land looks like a jungle... connecting to Indiana Jones perhaps?

Look good, but I think Star Wars will wrap a little further around towards the Muppets area, your location is short a couple acres.

wdizneew

I don't think there will be enough space for something else? Here's my take (I posted this in the TSL thread too):
DHS.JPG
Red: Slinky Dog
Blue: Alien Swirling Saucers
Orange: TSM
Green: Star Wars Land

I am thinking the show buildings for the 2 Star Wars attractions will take up a chunk of land which is why SWL looks like it has little guest areas. Just like how Diagon Alley is tight but the show building for Gringotts is massive.
Diagon Alley.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think there will be enough space for something else? Here's my take (I posted this in the TSL thread too): View attachment 138609 Red: Slinky Dog
Blue: Alien Swirling Saucers
Orange: TSM
Green: Star Wars Land

I am thinking the show buildings for the 2 Star Wars attractions will take up a chunk of land which is why SWL looks like it has little guest areas. Just like how Diagon Alley is tight but the show building for Gringotts is massive.
View attachment 138610

Star Wars Land will take up much more then that. Here is 14 acres...

upload_2016-4-20_16-6-9.png

Jaison

It's probably true that SWL will wrap around a bit more. It's very likely their artwork is just off.

Here's perhaps a more accurate version. I used the NEW Toy Story artwork here

disneys-hollywood-studios-star-wars-toy-story-land-new-jpg.138611

Awesome job with the overlay! Really gives a great perspective on the lands. I think as danlb_2000 stated that star wars most likely wraps more but the artist skewed it a bit.

My concern is that it appears SWL only has the 2 entrances much like TSL? Where as Disneyland is confirmed to have 3. Does anyone think this might cause guest flow issues? I am also lamenting the loss of the elevation changes if thats true?

To me I still say the rock-work looks much different than the Disneyland art, almost like a new planet? Perhaps the rides stay the same but the land is set on 2 different planets?

pmaljr

As much as it pains me to say given that I absolutely love Muppetvision, they either need to just move it or get rid of it. Take Star Tours (optionally) as your beginning into SWE, revamp the exit a little, and when you exit the ride, you are in the rest of the land. The Muppets Courtyard area is just going to be awkward and if I had to choose between ST and MV, keep ST.

BrianLo

I think you lose sight of the scale. The show buildings are ginormous so it makes the relatively large sized retail/dining area seem smaller. Look for the minuscule people on the artwork.

This should be approximately on par with the amount of retail etc. found in Diagon Alley, perhaps a bit more.

Does this mean our version is "cheaper" or just that the different parks have different needs? I really would've liked the elevated walkways.

In part different needs. Disneyland has elevation changes because the actual park sits higher than the backstage. It makes more sense to have guests take an elevated thoroughfare in Disneyland where space is limited and they can't really have a holding pen for guests if the land hits capacity like Potter back in the day.

WDW seems to side a bit more heavy on rock-work for their battle attraction than more of a lush transition that is necessary from the Critter Country entrance in DL.

This will be the biggest difference (the battle attraction at Disneyland)... It really looks nothing like what DHS is getting. In fact, this whole area is basically just queue at DHS. The whole purple guest entrance will be shifted to the South outside of the frame.

25167247621_7315e33881_o.jpg

Rodan75

Wow. The new artwork in the video starts to put reality to this project...and reality is starting to feel like a disappointment compared to Pandora.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom