Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

J. D.

I bet they're using independent contractors...
Randal: A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
Dante: Not just Imperials, is what you're getting at.
Randal: Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
Dante: All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?
Randal: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed- casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. (notices Dante's confusion) All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
(The Blue-Collar Man (Thomas Burke) joins them.)
Blue-Collar Man:
Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?
Randal: The ending of Return of the Jedi.
Dante: My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.
Blue-Collar Man: Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer... (digs into pocket and produces business card) Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.
Randal: Like when?
Blue-Collar Man: Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was.
Dante: Whose house was it?
Blue-Collar Man: Dominick Bambino's.
Randal: "Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?
Blue-Collar Man: The same. The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine.
Dante: Based on personal politics.
Blue-Collar Man: Right. And that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.
Randal: No way!
Blue-Collar Man: (paying for coffee) I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. (pauses to reflect) You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (taps his heart) not his wallet.
Are you even supposed to be here today?

Sped2424

=
WDW is hiding something from us about DHS's expansion. And they've demolished a few things, but we still don't know where SWL will be. We've been trying to put our finger on it for a while, but it seems we're getting nowhere.
The only thing they are hiding is poor planning and the reality that star wars land is opening way later here than it is at Disneyland. They still haven't let the general public know that which is why I think they are avoiding dates, locations, and otherwise for the Florida version. Well that and the plans still being in a state of constant flux over here. But hey at least a crap ton of attractions are closed at DHS so we can save some$$

AEfx

Will they announce something, or will we have to wait to see the tree like structures location? I'm kidding. We'll know something before that.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised either way - if they do a little ceremony or if they don't. Disneyland is just a different beast - they just treat it differently because while tons of first time guests are there every day, within a day drive of Disneyland is also the most densely populated region in the country so that's a market they court in a different way than WDW.

Basically, they are going to hide as much as they can at WDW as long as they can, whereas at Disneyland, seeing the construction of what is shaping up to be a massive addition to that park, the likes of which most of us have never seen, is something that can attract some of those day-trippers themselves. "Hey, what are we doing this weekend? Let's go to Disneyland and check out the Star Wars construction..." is entirely plausible and will bring a few more folks to Anaheim.

Besides, I'm doubtful WDW will play it up because in the TV commercials they are already pretending like it's already built....

Monoblanco13

Yeah, the Kodak owning FIgment and Dreamfinder rumor is bus-driver tier nonsense. You don't see Kodak's name on any of the Dreamfinder merch they've produced since the late 2000s or on the comics, plus you know, this is Disney we're talking about, a company that has one of the most vicious reputations for guarding their intellectual properties and character copyrights. Of course they wouldn't let Kodak have a chance at owning characters created as mascots for their park.
Kodak did however have influence on his color. I wish Figment got a proper ride..... Off topic again darn. OK so I guess now we wait till the land goes vertical? Everyone gets to speculate which bathrooms goes where? LOL

Phicinfan

My guess is its do to the fluidity of where it was going at
I hope so! This is one of those huge differences between Disneyland and WDW that forever baffles me.

For the Disneyland project, we've had months of weekly photo updates showing the demolition and progression of the land clearing. Buildings and trees dating to 1955 have been bulldozed into oblivion, and we get to watch it all from the comfort of our home. And a few months ago an Al Lutz Miceage Update on Micechat blew the lid off the master plan by releasing detailed maps and images of where the new land will be, where the rides will be, how big the buildings will be, and how the new walkways will plug it all into the existing park. WDI even helped out by releasing official artwork of the reconfigured Rivers of America on the new land's southern border.

This Miceage map is months old now, but multiple insiders online have vouched that it is alarmingly accurate.
disneylands-star-wars-land-expansion-layout-shown-in-new-map-and-new-details2

But for the DHS project, there's been a few photos of Catastrophe Canyon demolition, and then... nothing. No land clearing. No detailed maps or sketches or images. Even the official "Groundbreaking Ceremony" today took place in Anaheim and they photoshopped an At-At into it to remind us there will also be something in WDW. I'm not blaming any of the website owners in this at all, I'm blaming the fan culture that surrounds WDW. Where's the smuggled out maps and renderings? Where's the aerial view of how it all fits into the park? And where the heck are the bulldozers?!?

We're not even sure how the land will be placed in DHS, or how Star Tours will fit in with it. I'm forever baffled at how WDW keeps a lid on stuff, and/or no one in the WDW fan community based in Orlando seems able to get any type of smuggled info or images out of the TDO building. Weird how that works. :banghead:
I think maps for DHS were held off until final choice of locations was decided. With the move to LMA vs. Echo lake, it will require repositioning what they originally planned would be my guess. I am hoping beyond hope that we will see maps of future positions in DHS now that we have a confirmed location.

jt04

Thanks for the nice read over breakfast!

Do give examples.

New bus terminal at the MK.
New ferry terminal.
Monorail upgrades.
Road interchanges upgraded.
Road widenings.
Numerous guest accommodation additions/upgrades.
Massive reimagining of DTD to Disney Springs.
Upgrades to bus system.
Interchange and parking garages added to DS area.
Upgrades to retaining walls along waterways.
Dockwork for water transportation systems.
Upgrades to the parks to handle increased crowds such as eateries and restrooms.
Expansion and upgrades to fuel stations.
And whatever else I am forgetting.

SCOTLORR

At this rate, DHS version will open years after Disneyland's version. I bet Disneyland's will be the superior version too.
How do you assume this? I remember someone saying recently that the move of SWL from echo lake area to SOA/LMA will make it so that DHS's version will open just 4 months after. If anything, the recent news certainly decreased the time period between DL's opening and DHS's opening.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
New bus terminal at the MK.
New ferry terminal.
Monorail upgrades.
Road interchanges upgraded.
Road widenings.
Numerous guest accommodation additions/upgrades.
Massive reimagining of DTD to Disney Springs.
Upgrades to bus system.
Interchange and parking garages added to DS area.
Upgrades to retaining walls along waterways.
Dockwork for water transportation systems.
Upgrades to the parks to handle increased crowds such as eateries and restrooms.
Expansion and upgrades to fuel stations.
And whatever else I am forgetting.

And how much of that is not normal upgrading, or instigated and managed by TDO?

Answer- not a lot.

You do realise TDO have managed to scrap both projects in Orlando and also joint Orlando/Anaheim attractions don't you?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom