Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

still waiting for that blue sky cellar at DHS and DAK for that matter
@marni1971 any news as to whether we will get one in DHS?

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I know that was in the works as @wdwmagic and others had indicated and then it just seemed to go away. Though some stuff might be around: Does OMD still have the concept art up for Pandora? Does Launch Bay have any Star Wars art?

doctornick

At this rate, DHS version will open years after Disneyland's version. I bet Disneyland's will be the superior version too.
Huh? With the shift to using the LMA/SoA land it seems that Star Wars at DHS will likely open in a much closer timeframe to DL's version -- it's probably only a 3-4 months behind. And although Disney often seems to stretch out building projects to save money, there seems to be a push to open up Star Wars in particular ASAP for synergy/advertising reasons.

At this point, I think DHS will likely open up within 6 months of DL.

Phroobar

Disneyland within a couple of months took out a lot of backstage infrastructure, removed train track and removed trees from the berm. Their site prep work is coming along quickly. Over at DHS, they still haven't taken out anything of worth yet and it's been a long time since they closed the studio tour and other stuff for this project. Looking at Avatarland construction, Florida construction workers seem to move as fast as Chinese contractors working on Shanghai. I would say they are good year behind.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disneyland within a couple of months took out a lot of backstage infrastructure, removed train track and removed trees from the berm. Their site prep work is coming along quickly. Over at DHS, they still haven't taken out anything of worth yet and it's been a long time since they closed the studio tour and other stuff for this project. Looking at Avatarland construction, Florida construction workers seem to move as fast as Chinese contractors working on Shanghai. I would say they are good year behind.

Premier theater and Catastrophe Canyon have been removed as well as some of the back stage building on the Toy Story Land side.

doctornick

I still understand it will be more than six months.

Really? Why? I would think could level everything in the area of DHS easily in a month or so and be at the same point that DL was at in Feb/March. Is there something in particular that would slow the pace at DHS that is not present at DL?

Wikkler

I know that when Kodak dropped sponsorship of Imagination, Disney bought the rights to Figment from Kodak, that's why he's still around. But from what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Disney did not buy the rights to Dreamfinder at that time. Has Disney since bought the rights to use Dreamfinder from Kodak?
I don't believe Kodak has ever had the rights to the Dream Team, just like Siemens doesn't have the rights to the Afro Computer Lady and Kraft didn't have the rights to singing fruits and vegetables.
Way to avoid answering the question. The only thing they've worked tirelessly on are budget cuts and half hearted additions ever since Oger took over.
How are Disney executives like onions?
They stink.

Adam N

Politics? Perhaps.

DLs prep is also further ahead.
Do we know a timeframe for when DL is done? If it's 2018, ours will be 2019. I just have that feeling so the marketing team can say Avatar is 2017 Toy Story is 2018 and Star Wars is 2019. Just makes sense. But we could always be disappointed.

doctornick

Do we know a timeframe for when DL is done? If it's 2018, ours will be 2019. I just have that feeling so the marketing team can say Avatar is 2017 Toy Story is 2018 and Star Wars is 2019. Just makes sense. But we could always be disappointed.

Yeah, that was my thought -- that the new location was so they could have Star Wars open sometime in 2019 for that year's marketing push. Ideally to be ready by Memorial Day for the summer crowds. But @marni1971 is right, then we might be looking at end of year 2019 at best.

jt04

WDW's SWL changed plans radically which means mew design and permits. That has to slow it down but the results will be much better for the park In the long run IMO.

DarthMileZ

it will be at least 2020 before we see SWL at Orlando. why? because Episode 9 comes out Dec 2019... we'll probably see SWL crop up summer 2020

TP2000

I don't know, but given the success of the DCA version it seems to be a lot of good, controlled PR for not a lot of outlay.

There were plans, but it seems Launch Bay and the third Toy Story Mania track scuppered the cellar for DHS.

There are strong rumors, not denied this week by the Disney Parks Blog "We have nothing to announce for that space at this time", that the upstairs of Disneyland's Launch Bay will become a Star Wars Land preview center.

This would be important to WDW fans on the East Coast because the projects are assumed to be nearly identical, so whatever they display in the Disneyland preview center would be easy to translate for the WDW version. Thanks to the Internet, WDW fans could visit the Disneyland center virtually and learn what is also headed to DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom