Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

SirLink

The plans were too large - I believe something like 17 acres. I just don't see them bulldozing all of those buildings around Echo Lake at this point either.

The original idea was to save money by retrofitting SW into those buildings. That would have taken longer and I don't believe Indy was even slated to close until 2017. I just can't see them completely bulldozing Echo Lake. Maybe. But I don't think it's likely at this point.

Do the Disneyland way build it on the parking lot, but there will be a phase 3 it just won't be at the front. This is contingent on other infrastructure projects around DHS.

Ignohippo

They have the entirety of CM parking lot aka Television lot ... but we have to wait until its built to say where things are going. The whole trying to save buildings to reduce construction costs have literally been thrown out the window it is now more a case of "we need new stuff built quickly and cheaper, but we ain't designing around old infrastructure" There were far more expletives in that quote ...

How ironic that they designed DL's version around the way they had to retrofit buildings at DHS (since both would have similar layouts), yet now aren't retrofitting anything at DHS.

If that isn't and example of the backwards way Disney has done things in Orlando for the past 15 years, I don't know what is.

BrianLo

Ignoring all previous posts in this thread I just wanted to say my one HUGE hope for star wars land is that it's multi level.

I want places to explore and balconies where I can overlook the crowds and see the land in unique ways. I want to be able to walk around for hours like I have at wizarding world just taking in all the details and exploring the unique and detailed shops.

It's going to be pseudo multi-level at Disneyland. Mostly the elevated walkway connecting to the main park, a means of traversing over top of the land quite important to crowd control. I have zero idea about WDW, I have speculated that will be one of the major differences on the back of not having the elevation changes by going outside the berm.

Damn. I wanted it at the front :(

Perk up, this means it is coming much, much sooner (ie. year-s)

Remember that time HKDL had no where near enough to do and therefore had three new lands under construction at once? Me too.

Lol. Would be nice if they did the same. Used Toy Story first and saved the best for last!

From what I know of the concepts for Phase 3, if SW is in SoA, Phase 3 has been 100% cancelled.

As many have speculated, it's most likely Phase 3 may be some kind of Indy tie-in, most likely where Star Tours is now. I don't see Star Tours sticking around at WDW or DL once SWland is completed, as insane as that sounds.

This doesn't make logical sense. They already had a plans to clear 14-acres for Star Wars around Echo Lake. I'm curious what exactly was so critical about what you saw that it absolutely could not fit in any old 14-acreage plot?

ToTBellHop

How ironic that they designed DL's version around the way they had to retrofit buildings at DHS (since both would have similar layouts), yet now aren't retrofitting anything at DHS.

If that isn't and example of the backwards way Disney has done things in Orlando for the past 15 years, I don't know what is.
It would be funny if it were on television. Seems like a great plot line for season 2 of The Muppets.

SirLink

Just a change of management ideas. The reason the Echo Lake retrofit was dropped was that they didn't want to do the whole old Hollywood ... BAM ... Star Wars. That's when discussing of taking IJ out and using the parking lot came about.

Ignohippo

This doesn't make logical sense. They already had a plans to clear 14-acres for Star Wars around Echo Lake. I'm curious what exactly was so critical about what you saw that it absolutely could not fit in any old 14-acreage plot?

What was critical was that SW was designed to fit around Echo Lake and use the existing buildings and infrastructure. The other plans were designed to fit in the back corner of the park.

SW was to be retro-fitted, so the existing buildings around Echo Lake would retain their purpose (restaurants would still be restaurants, theaters would still be theaters, etc.). The only thing that would be changing was aesthetics.

There's an enormous difference between that and going in and completely bulldozing all of Echo Lake.

Fox&Hound

Hmmmm, this is all very interesting.

See, if Star Wars did go in front of the park, I still don't think we'd see a Phase 3. I think it would be out of sight out of mind. They would use the space for staging and then close it off once the new land was done and it would never be spoken of again. They would use it as corporate space and private events. This way, Star Wars goes in the back of the park and you still have the land up by Indy for future expansion. With guests walking through it every day, I think it means Disney may be more inclined to close this part of the park once Toy Story Land and SW are up and running. I def don't see why they can't expand into the parking lot like Star Wars was to do. I don't think Phase 3 is dead. Maybe it has been modified, but I don't think the idea is off the table.

BrianLo

What was critical was that SW was designed to fit around Echo Lake and use the existing buildings and infrastructure. The other plans were designed to fit in the back corner of the park.

SW was to be retro-fitted, so the existing buildings around Echo Lake would retain their purpose (restaurants would still be restaurants, theaters would still be theaters, etc.). The only thing that would be changing was aesthetics.

There's an enormous difference between that and going in and completely bulldozing all of Echo Lake.

Alright, in that case I still don't think you were correct that DHS was driving the decisions. We know that's not the way Disney traditionally works, Anaheim nearly universally drives the decisions in the past two decades.

Your outline of retrofitting buildings also is very dissimilar to how DL is going to be laid out.

Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_25063.jpg

StarWarsExpansion-Map-Satellite-After-610x518.jpg

I'm not being dismissive of what you saw at the time, but I think jumping to conclusions that this is a 100% cancellation of Phase 3 are inaccurate.

JustInTime

Very much we would have. It would have been a natural expansion of Toy Story Land with possible finally the MI Coaster. Now....not so likely.
So do you think in terms of the makeover this is all DHS will get? Leaving the rest of the park alone or re-theming what is there? Also, I feel like this area is too large for this expansion. Backlot tour, LMA and Streets of America?! Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

Ignohippo

Just a change of management ideas. The reason the Echo Lake retrofit was dropped was that they didn't want to do the whole old Hollywood ... BAM ... Star Wars. That's when discussing of taking IJ out and using the parking lot came about.

I don't know where you get that info. People complained about that here on the boards but it was never the issue the fanbois thought it would be. They were going to design it in a way that it wouldn't be that distracting. The rock work in front would have been setup just like the turrets and castle wall in New Fantasyland and they had designed with NFL in mind.

Indy was always going and it was going to be the spot for the battle attraction. The parking lot was going to be used for the Falcon attraction IF they decided to keep Star Tours. If not, the Star Tours building would be gutted for the Falcon attraction an expanded out the back side slightly.

You can see exactly how it all would have fit if you look at the DL plans and put the Battle Attraction where Indy is now and the Millennium Falcon Attraction approximately where Jedi Training/Star Tours is now at DHS.

The water at DL is where Echo Lake is at DHS.

Oh, and "village dining,etc." is where Sounds Dangerous is. That is the main difference. The dining at DHS was to be where 50s Prime is now. Sounds Dangerous and The ABC Theater would have been Jedi Training, which isn't included at DL.

Isn't it funny, too, how "future expansion" at DL is almost exactly where Muppets is at DHS?

disneyland-star-wars-expansion-map.jpg

Last edited:

Ripken10

I only follow a few dozen boards...but I do find it interesting that all of our "insiders" seem to be all saying the exact same thing (with still some people disagreeing with them), all very vocal about how bad this is (and still people not seeing what they are saying) and more post from them on this subject than I have seen on any other. Hmm...to me that's a clue...but again I only follow a few dozen threads.

BrianLo

I only follow a few dozen boards...but I do find it interesting that all of our "insiders" seem to be all saying the exact same thing (with still some people disagreeing with them), all very vocal about how bad this is (and still people not seeing what they are saying) and more post from them on this subject than I have seen on any other. Hmm...to me that's a clue...but again I only follow a few dozen threads.

There are currently no full-out insiders to the current status of these projects. Everyone is guessing and making their best assumptions on the information that was at one time accurate, but clearly no longer is.

I feel like I've turned into one of those crazy people all of a sudden. :confused:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
All I want is to fly a cockpit simulator called the Millennium Falcon. And shoot down TIE fighters. If we get that, I'm happy dancing. Anything beyond, well THAT'S nirvana.

SirLink

I don't know where you get that info. People complained about that here on the boards but it was never the issue the fanbois thought it would be. They were going to design it in a way that it wouldn't be that distracting. The rock work in front would have been setup just like the turrets and castle wall in New Fantasyland and they had designed with NFL in mind.

Indy was always going and it was going to be the spot for the battle attraction. The parking lot was going to be used for the Falcon attraction IF they decided to keep Star Tours. If not, the Star Tours building would be gutted for the Falcon attraction an expanded out the back side slightly.

You can see exactly how it all would have fit if you look at the DL plans and put the Battle Attraction where Indy is now and the Millennium Falcon Attraction approximately where Jedi Training/Star Tours is now at DHS.

Isn't it funny, too, how "future expansion" at DL is almost exactly where Muppets is at DHS?
View attachment 137300

It was an issue for a few higher ups at the company ... not all but a few.

The parking lot became a preferred option as Operations kicked off, Food & Bev kicked off about some of the changes. It was changed to appease them. Also by moving it to the parking lot it would allow them to integrate an expansion pad if needed. Now we know you were given your information. Others have been given new information in the last 6 months ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom