Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Phicinfan

I am pretty sure, the original prognostications from the insiders had TSL then SWL then once most of that was completed, work on phase 3. Now obviously this could all change IF SWL has moved, and IF budget was cut( I believe it was stated phase 3 was part of the overall spend approved already.).

Mike S

It could still be possible to integrate that into the land.

Universal showed its possible to link between parks - so something certainly could be done here if required.
It also leaves Indy open to get replaced by something else Indy (a ride) later on and we keep the little "LucasLand" we have now. I could get used to this, maybe.
I bet Star Tours becomes Zootopia with Flash as your bus driver.
That would actually be pretty amusing :hilarious:
If SWL goes in this corner, what was phase three as a Pixar expansion won't fit.

Unless the park border is pushed back. A lot.

Consensus is this move is an attempt to speed up construction but will hit them in the long run.
This is what I'm afraid of and why I would prefer SWL in the front. This has to be done right for the future of the park.

jt04

ok, lets take a look at a zoomed in version of the artwork in question---
DSC4781-610x381.jpg

what i am seeing is ENDOR and the AT-AT. showing that the end of the trail there leads past muppets(or under) and comes out where Star Tours is now... and that sweeping trail is heading to tatooine traders
View attachment 137275

Um. Look at the scale of the people.

doctornick

I agree they'd wait for TSL to come online. That had been the plan anyway.

That is the thing. If Star Wars is going into SoA, it allows them to start construction ASAP to be more in line with DL's timeframe. If it goes in Echo Lake, it's hard to imagine closing Indy as well until at least some capacity (e.g. Toy Story Land) is up and running, so it would drag things out longer.

If TSL opens in (say) early 2018 -- should be sooner than that given the lack of complexity, but this is Disney -- then they could shut down Indy then and start working on the front of the park for Phase 3. Parking should be much further along by then, such that losing the CM lot wouldn't be any big deal.

SirLink

Please do not tell me Star tours is going away. What a waste that would be. Even if it is not connected to the rest of Star Wars, there is no reason it can't stick around, whether as a peripheral attachment to the rest of Star Wars, it's own mini-land, or a different themed area altogether.

Disney shouldn't waste money changing rides that are perfectly good already. DHS needs expansions and additions.

Not saying that at all. However I'm not going to put the information out there...

JustInTime

If SWL goes in this corner, what was phase three as a Pixar expansion won't fit.

Consensus is this move is an attempt to speed up construction but will hit them in the long run.
That what I was afraid of. That's a real bummer. I'd wager chances of a phase 3 slim now.

Ignohippo

If SWL is going into SoA area I'm hearing conflicting infomation. SWL was going to use IJ plus the CM parking - none of the other buildings would of been touched.

They would have been re-purposed. The Sounds Dangerous and the ABC Theater buildings can actually be seen in the original art. So was the Backlot Express and Star Tours buildings. The only building that was originally set for demolition (besides Indy of course) was the bathrooms in front of Star Tours (which was approximately where the Falcon was going).

Ignohippo

What are the odds that phase 3 is canceled at this point?

From what I know of the concepts for Phase 3, if SW is in SoA, Phase 3 has been 100% cancelled.

As many have speculated, it's most likely Phase 3 may be some kind of Indy tie-in, most likely where Star Tours is now. I don't see Star Tours sticking around at WDW or DL once SWland is completed, as insane as that sounds.

Ignohippo

Ditto (sorry I didn't see your post before I replied to the others).

This is a disaster if true. They are taking the very best expansion plot in the entire plot and using it for something that was originally designed to fit better elsewhere.

They will be able to add a new attraction here or there (maybe at Indy, Star tours or the Animation Courtyard), but they will never have the space to create a really subversive land again, like they did here.

They could have chosen to have their cake and eat it too, but in true Disney fashion, they've chosen to pay less for day old cake, eat it, and not have anything left.

SirLink

They would have been re-purposed. The Sounds Dangerous and the ABC Theater buildings can actually be seen in the original art. So was the Backlot Express and Star Tours buildings. The only building that was originally set for demolition (besides Indy of course) was the bathrooms in front of Star Tours (which was approximately where the Falcon was going).

Not from the info that I received in middle of October last year ... whilst is nice that you keep referring to initial public art. Plans change like this entire project.

Ignohippo

I am pretty sure, the original prognostications from the insiders had TSL then SWL then once most of that was completed, work on phase 3. Now obviously this could all change IF SWL has moved, and IF budget was cut( I believe it was stated phase 3 was part of the overall spend approved already.).

Nope. I believe phase 3 was originally meant to open before SW. I believe most of the insiders were hearing there were delays with greenlighting phase 3 but no one knew why.

I believe now we know.

I still think this is mostly to save money. Phase 3 was most likely canned (doing so saves them $500 mil +) and they moved SW there instead to fill the space and get it open sooner.

Haymarket2008

This is a disaster if true. They are taking the very best expansion plot in the entire plot and using it for something that was originally designed to fit better elsewhere.

They will be able to add a new attraction here or there (maybe at Indy, Star tours or the Animation Courtyard), but they will never have the space to create a really subversive land again, like they did here.

They could have chosen to have their cake and eat it too, but in true Disney fashion, they've chosen to pay less for day old cake, eat it, and not have anything left.

If SWL is going where Phase 3 was going be, then why can't Phase 3 be the land that extends into the parking lot? Why couldn't it fit anywhere else?

Phicinfan

Nope. I believe phase 3 was originally meant to open before SW. I believe most of the insiders were hearing there were delays with greenlighting phase 3 but no one knew why.

I believe now we know.

I still think this is mostly to save money. Phase 3 was most likely canned (doing so saves them $500 mil +) and they moved SW there instead to fill the space and get it open sooner.
You are making some assumptions here, which could be correct.

I am still not sold phase 3 is dead, this park can't just survive on TSL and SWL.

Only time will tell though.

SirLink

They have the entirety of CM parking lot aka Television lot ... but we have to wait until its built to say where things are going. The whole trying to save buildings to reduce construction costs have literally been thrown out the window it is now more a case of "we need new stuff built quickly and cheaper, but we ain't designing around old infrastructure" There were far more expletives in that quote ...

Ignohippo

If SWL is going where Phase 3 was going be, then why can't Phase 3 be the land that extends into the parking lot? Why couldn't it fit anywhere else?

The plans were too large - I believe something like 17 acres. I just don't see them bulldozing all of those buildings around Echo Lake at this point either.

The original idea was to save money by retrofitting SW into those buildings. That would have taken longer and I don't believe Indy was even slated to close until 2017. I just can't see them completely bulldozing Echo Lake. Maybe. But I don't think it's likely at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom