Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

lazyboy97o

I thought something was off, maybe the frame rate or something. It was too projected and not shadow enough. I compared it to a very sharp steamboat Willie animation
Its definitely too focused and sharp. Shadows aren't so crisp unless your directly in the path of the light source; so it look like a projection instead of a shadow through a cavern opening. It's like it was made in isolation and is trying too hard to get your attention.

jt04

A year? That sucks. I mean, I know TWDC has a hard on for Disneyland but shouldn't they be focusing on the park that makes more money instead of treating it like a distant cousin?

I think they want at least 1 year that DL is the number 1 theme park in the world. Pandora is a bigger factor though.

tk924

It's great that we're getting new SW themed rides and restaurants but I was hoping to see something more along the lines of exactly where these things will be placed.

Something like this: (not mine, btw)

Sug2ZnW.png

None of this has been revealed/detailed yet, right?

jt04

Nothing to do with Pandora.

Obi-Wan: You don't need to see his identification.
Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his identification.
Obi-Wan: These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Stormtrooper: These aren't the droids we're looking for.
Obi-Wan: He can go about his business.
Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.
Obi-Wan: Move along.
Stormtrooper: Move along... move along.

gmajew

Uuugh. It really bothers me when people blame that on "corporate greed." Let me start by saying that companies like Disney exist to be successful. They're not going to do something that makes less money in the end while not making the majority of their customers happier. What you're basically saying is that "IP rides" are more successful for TWDC, and the bosses are somehow being morally wrong for not doing what brings the most success.

The huge flaw in Disney's thinking here is that IP-based attractions are actually more successful. They are often not. Think about Avatar for example. Do the majority of people love Avatar and have a large interest in it? No. It's a dead francise right now. In fact, some people may say "eew no I didn't like/ don't care about that movie" or "me/ my kids have never even see the movie" and be turned off because of the IP connection. On the other hand, do people like dragons and unicorns? Yes, those are very popular mythical creatures that people know and love and have always had a high level of interest in. Therefore, while any quality attraction in Orlando is poised to do well, I think Beastly Kingdom would've been more successful on all fronts than what they're building now. There are other examples as well but I don't want to make my post longer than it already is.

Additionally, movie IP attractions do not have as much of a long-term appeal and will eventually die out. And they do not always fit with the theme and message of the land/park. TWDC also undervalues those. A cohesive theme and message can make the experience unquantifiably better, which in return brings the company more money and more success.

Building only "IP rides" is not greedy, it's dumb. Making too many cuts is not just greedy, it's dumb. Replacing American IT people with foreign ones is not just greedy, it's dumb. Becuase in the end, these all hurt the company more than they help.

You can't play the moral card here because TWDC will laugh at that argument, and this one isn't really a moral issue anyway. When you say what you said above, you make it sound as if building original rides is like doing us a favor or giving us a free gift. In reality, building some would be best for the company as well. I'm glad they're doing that in Shanghai and did in Hong Kong, those were all good decisions. But they should also do it domestically.

Yes, the fall of orignal rides in the US started with Bob Iger. Because when it comes to theme parks, he's not just greedy, he's a bit dumb.

The only land to date that is open in any park that was a true land is Cars and Harry Potter.... Of these Harry Potter is the one that stands for a longer time thanks to the books. Cars may run its course but then what boy does not like a fast race car when they are young.

Every other ride or IP that is going into any park is just a show building and can be easily changed out or reused when the time comes it needs it.

People are so worried about 20 years but most rides need to be replaced after that amount of time to something new. Very few Peter Pan and small worlds and even ET that become classics that stay long long periods.

BrianLo

I dare say we'll never see a D or E (without screens) like that again.

Well...

SDMT certainly counts. Screens are taking a big back seat in the Battle Attraction and Na'vi river journey - the last decisive (unarguable) stateside E that's at least >95% non-screen is Radiator Springs Racers. Lots of international screen minimal/free rides in the recent past overseas and upcoming SDL.

All hope is not lost.

BrianLo

Not to take away from Universal's accomplishments, but Carsland was announced around the same time frame as Uni acquiring the rights to Potter. People often don't remember that because Carsland actually took two additional years to open.

The IP land came to be within both companies fairly independently of one another. Not to say Dis hasn't learned several lessons from their competition and is reaffirmed in their current beliefs that IP is the way to go, but Universal didn't 'invent' the current trend as much as people seem to think.

They have certainly perfected it more so in their second go, and that certainly has done a lot to shape Star Wars.

KingOfEpicocity

The only land to date that is open in any park that was a true land is Cars and Harry Potter.... Of these Harry Potter is the one that stands for a longer time thanks to the books. Cars may run its course but then what boy does not like a fast race car when they are young.

Every other ride or IP that is going into any park is just a show building and can be easily changed out or reused when the time comes it needs it.

People are so worried about 20 years but most rides need to be replaced after that amount of time to something new. Very few Peter Pan and small worlds and even ET that become classics that stay long long periods.

Yet ET is most likely being replaced

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Obi-Wan: You don't need to see his identification.
Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his identification.
Obi-Wan: These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Stormtrooper: These aren't the droids we're looking for.
Obi-Wan: He can go about his business.
Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.
Obi-Wan: Move along.
Stormtrooper: Move along... move along.
I think you've finally lost the plot...

BrianLo

Absolutely. I should have perhaps been clearer in that I don't think we will see another D or E with no screens.

On a completely unrelated note - do you know if DHS Star Wars Land will have an elevated walkway/second level? Or is that a DL feature mostly.

ToTBellHop

Absolutely. I should have perhaps been clearer in that I don't think we will see another D or E with no screens.
Is Slink-Dog a C? Serious question. I struggle to imagine a coaster as a C (unless it's Barnstormer, which this isn't).

Not that I'm arguing with you. I understand your point is that the use of screens is very in and will feature in most, if not all, major expenditures going forward. We would have said the same about Audio-Animatronics figures in days of yore.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is Slink-Dog a C? Serious question. I struggle to imagine a coaster as a C (unless it's Barnstormer, which this isn't).

Not that I'm arguing with you. I understand your point is that the use of screens is very in and will feature in most, if not all, major expenditures going forward. We would have said the same about Audio-Animatronics figures in days of yore.
Fair point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom