Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

KingOfEpicocity

I am as well. I would be shocked if it leaves -- DHS needs the ride capacity and it's very likely to end up sensibly placed as part of the Star Wars area. All it would need is a new facade to fit in with the surroundings.

But all indications is that Disney is going for "immersive" with the new Star Wars area -- so you will be walking in a true land right out of the Star Wars saga. It's no problem making the outside of Star Tours fit that fine and the tour can easily leave from whatever unnamed planet is going to be the location for the new land. But what to do about the ride itself? If the "setting" is the timeframe of the current trilogy with fights between the First Order and the Resistance and a Millennium Falcon with a rectangular dish then the story of Star Tours doesn't fit* given that it is at the time right before A New Hope and has Darth Vader, Boba Fett, young Leia, a living Yoda, etc. and the Empire is after a Rebel spy.

*obviously, they've already messed up the timeframe of Star Tours with the new scene at Jakku with Finn. That's a while other issue.

It almost makes me wonder about the rumors of Star Wars land going in the Catastophe Canyon/LMA area. I tend to think that they are silly and would ignore them, but maybe the timeframe issue is a concern to WDI and that might be a solution -- have Star Tours separate, as it will be in DL. @marni1971 mentioned a possible additional Star Wars content for DHS, maybe this would be the idea? And it could work with putting a Jedi Academy near Star Tours (say, Sounds Dangerous?) where you could use a (living, not Force Ghost) Yoda as part of the performance. And in that land, you could have M&G or other attractions tailored to the original trilogy (Darth Vader, Boba Fett, etc.).

I still think SWL is going in LMA/SOA... call me wrong but its hwta im going with from what ive heardd. I still have no idea how itll work with a whole star wars land down the road. they wouldnt dare take it out...

jt04

Star Tours can be changed extremely easily. Making new scenes to reflect its new location within SWL and a new placement in the timeline should be no problem at all.

They have a little more leeway with the attractions IMO. Most guests are not too concerned with the EU. Rather I think they just want to be immersed in all aspects of SW. Imagineering won't limit themselves to pleasing just the purists.

doctornick

Star Tours can be changed extremely easily. Making new scenes to reflect its new location within SWL and a new placement in the timeline should be no problem at all.

Oh sure, it easily could be changed. Would they do it, though, and essentially be removing some very popular stuff from the original trilogy? I'm skeptical especially with them recently tinkering with the established scenes (why do that if you are getting rid of them?).

My guess is that they just won't care about the inconsistency with the rest of the land and will leave it as is. After all, they added Finn and didn't really worry about it.

ToTBellHop

nothing has been confirmed...
I am aware.

I also know Toy Story Land is going behind Midway Mania, not next to it as was suggested by a similarly obsessed (and certain he was correct) fan last fall.

Then we have the penguin-hater certain that Cars Land is coming. It's not.

I grow wary of this.

They'll build what they'll build and placement isn't truly that important. It's not like we are losing (half) a river(s) and some chickens for this.

What isn't being discussed and should be is that it will take a year longer for them to build our SWL on a parking lot than it will take DL to move a river and train track to build theirs'. Absurd. Yet predictable. And this is the "fast-tracked" schedule. God forbid one of the workers break a sweat. In August. In the swamps. In Florida.

Last edited:

jt04

I am aware.

I also know Toy Story Land is going behind Midway Mania, not next to it as was suggested by a similarly obsessed (and certain he was correct) fan last fall.

I grow wary of this.

They'll build what they'll build and placement isn't truly that important. It's not like we are losing (half) a river(s) and some chickens for this.

What isn't being discussed and should be is that it will take a year longer for them to build our SWL on a parking lot than it will take DL to move a river and train track to build theirs'. Absurd. Yet predictable. And this is the "fast-tracked" schedule. God forbid one of the workers break a sweat. In August. In the swamps. In Florida.

I doubt we will be far behind DL. There is too much money to be made. Plus they need to let Pandora have some time to shine. Still think 2019 for WDW. 2018 for DL. IMO

RSoxNo1

bhg469

Your avatar point is correct, but what would harry potter be without the tie in?? WE know WDI is capable of Amazing attractions (everest for example) but they just dont have the confidence to do it...

Everest is also not nearly as good with a broken show stopping feature. IMO most of the effects on it aren't that good. The bird is silly and the projection scene is really not convincing. Without the working AA this attraction is really a let down. I never got to see it working but the accounts of those who have makes me believe if I saw it in A mode, I'd have a much better appreciation of the ride.

Mike S

Everest is also not nearly as good with a broken show stopping feature. IMO most of the effects on it aren't that good. The bird is silly and the projection scene is really not convincing. Without the working AA this attraction is really a let down. I never got to see it working but the accounts of those who have makes me believe if I saw it in A mode, I'd have a much better appreciation of the ride.
I only saw it once but A mode was amazing. Also how does the projection not work? Isn't it supposed to be his shadow and not actually him? That's how I always interpreted it.

insaneshadow

I am aware.

I grow wary of this.

A year? That sucks. I mean, I know TWDC has a hard on for Disneyland but shouldn't they be focusing on the park that makes more money instead of treating it like a distant cousin?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom