Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

GLaDOS

Save Spiderman for the other ride ;)

Sounds good to me. WDW was lagging behind Uni in these types of attractions. Glad they're moving into this space. This project is Potter-like, and that is in no way a bad thing.

I really look forward to seeing how interactive the Falcon ride is, considering Universal is working on Mario Kart. Those both could be genre defying attractions.

drummond

Sounds good to me. WDW was lagging behind Uni in these types of attractions. Glad they're moving into this space. This project is Potter-like, and that is in no way a bad thing.

I really look forward to seeing how interactive the Falcon ride is, considering Universal is working on Mario Kart. Those both could be genre defying attractions.

Is there any info out there on the Mario Kart attraction? That sounds amazing.

DocHoliday

The more diverse and distinct the attractions, the better. In my mind the Falcon's appeal will be to control the ship in a action sequence, Battle Escape's will be to experience the ground level battles and Star Tours' appeal will continue to be to experience all of the cool locales in previous films and future films. It actually services pretty much all the distinct Star wars action experiences (with the notable exception of light saber combat).

SCOTLORR

The cockpits move through the show building, this has been confirmed by a ton of insiders.

It's a simulator of sorts on a ride track, much like Forbidden Journey.

I'm not sure why everyone is struggling so much with understanding that this is nothing like Star Tours.
hmm lol i guess i missed that. Now it sounds even better than I expected.

Mike S

Yeah, I'm aware that this puts me in the minority, but I was never a fan of the "generic planet" idea for the land. It solves a few problems, for sure, but at the cost of feeling very bland and not particularly Star Wars-y. I would've set it in a space station, like an orbital rebel base or something (maybe based off X-Wing vs TIE Fighter :D). After all, one of the keywords in "Star Wars" is "Star." There's a reason every movie opens with a starfield.

The choice of attractions has also been curious to me. For me, the central fantasies in Star Wars involve (1) being a Jedi and (2) piloting an X-Wing. The Millenium Falcon is all right, I guess, but an order of magnitude less cool than an 1- or 2-man starfighter. And there seems to be a decided lack of lightsabers and Force powers in the concepts presented thus far. While Universal seems to get the basic fantasy of Harry Potter reasonably well (wands! butterbeer!), Disney's Star Wars concepts seem a little tone deaf to me. But then again, I'm weird :p
And how would you make a 1 to 2 man X Wing ride work in reality? The capacity would be a nightmare.
It should have them all. Physical and projection.
image.jpeg

Correct. WDW's Space Mountain doesn't have any of the special additions to the show infrastructure that allows Disneyland to do its overlays.
We could've gotten those but you know..... :banghead:
Could this be the queue? Look at the walkway and columns. Could those be stanchions? I could see the storm troopers having slight movements like the bankers in the Gringotts queue.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_26851.jpg
If that was the queue, holy crap :jawdrop:

It's no coincidence. Didn't the main imagineer on this come from Uni and work on Potter? Scott Trowbridge I think it was?

Chris82

And how would you make a 1 to 2 man X Wing ride work in reality? The capacity would be a nightmare.

Nah, you just gotta be creative about it. It doesn't have to be Peter Pan's Flight. You could chain a bunch of X-Wings together to make a coaster, pair them up, or break canon somewhat to make the cockpit large enough for 4 (or use a Y-Wing). Or, if you're not as tired of screen-based attractions as I am, a Back-to-the-Future style theater full of X-wings could work really well. Or... (don't hurt me) a spinner.

At any rate, if Disney can figure out how to do it with banshees, they can do it with X-Wings. :D

Mike S

Nah, you just gotta be creative about it. It doesn't have to be Peter Pan's Flight. You could chain a bunch of X-Wings together to make a coaster, pair them up, or break canon somewhat to make the cockpit large enough for 4 (or use a Y-Wing). Or, if you're not as tired of screen-based attractions as I am, a Back-to-the-Future style theater full of X-wings could work really well. Or... (don't hurt me) a spinner.

At any rate, if Disney can figure out how to do it with banshees, they can do it with X-Wings. :D
Im fine with the Falcon. Can't wait to see how they pull off all that interactivity. Like someone said earlier it could be a game changer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom