Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DisDan

For everyone who is upset/underwhelmed about the Star Wars land attractions I will simply pose this question regarding the Milenium Falcon ride. How would you do a Milinium Falcon ride and not have it be mostly screen based? I mean how else are you going to give people the experience of piloting the Falcon if not by simulation? Also, there is no reason this cant still be a completely unique and immersive attraction. Picture this, you entire the queue and as you approach the ride you are briefed on your mission in some type of Hanger environment. Then as the queue approaches the ride you actually see the life sized Falcon and enter the ship and the queue continue through the innards of the Falcon as you get a tour of the ship (think Hogwarts). Then as you approach the ride you enter the cockpit which is the ride vehicle made to simulate the Falcon cockpit, you strap in, and Off you go!

So many chances for this to be so darn great!

jt04

Excited? You betcha!

This has the chance to be a truly extravagant, well-themed land based on a hugely popular icon. If done right, it would most definitely re-energize HS (along with Avatarland in AK). I just hope Disney keeps it more accessible; I'm a bit hesitant of the dining club/show. And a market, well... This is Disney after all. The concept art looks a lot like the souq in Morocco @ EC, heh.

The problem is, this will be YEARS in the making, let alone open to the public. :(

Almost all Star Wars environments have an earthly analog. Part of the magic. Personally hope this is not always the case for every environment on film.

Also, I remember when Disney acquired Lucasfilm and peole complained it would be years before they made a movie and they would probably ruin it anyway. Seems like yesterday and the second film will here in less than a year.

FigmentJedi

Yes, that's exactly what I would expect. I know some of the Star Wars encyclopedias do have food listed, so there is stuff to draw from (though I guess it's not technically canon any more). Would be cool if they actually would sell some exotic food from other countries to have things be distinct rather than just ordinary items with weird names.

Oh, and surely there will be blue milk.
The stories of the EU aren't canon anymore, but that doesn't mean they won't mine it for ideas in the new canon. Rebels has been bringing back a ton of Legends concepts and vehicles back for retooling. Using EU food would be no problem.

FigmentJedi

Yeah, and Finn is flying around pre-Battle of Yavin Jakku when he should be an infant or not even born yet in Star Tours. It's safe to say DHS is playing fast and loose with canon timeline.

Star Tours 2 in general doesn't give a crap about continuity. You got to do a lot of fanboy mental gymnastics to make half those sequences make sense and George himself was all "It's Disneyland, canon's not important" when he was consulting with the Imagineers and insisted on a Battle of Hoth-esque sequence to represent the planet instead of an encounter with Tauntauns and Wampas the Imagineers pitched to have semblance of continuity.

Yeah, I'm aware that this puts me in the minority, but I was never a fan of the "generic planet" idea for the land. It solves a few problems, for sure, but at the cost of feeling very bland and not particularly Star Wars-y. I would've set it in a space station, like an orbital rebel base or something (maybe based off X-Wing vs TIE Fighter :D). After all, one of the keywords in "Star Wars" is "Star." There's a reason every movie opens with a starfield.

The choice of attractions has also been curious to me. For me, the central fantasies in Star Wars involve (1) being a Jedi and (2) piloting an X-Wing. The Millenium Falcon is all right, I guess, but an order of magnitude less cool than an 1- or 2-man starfighter. And there seems to be a decided lack of lightsabers and Force powers in the concepts presented thus far. While Universal seems to get the basic fantasy of Harry Potter reasonably well (wands! butterbeer!), Disney's Star Wars concepts seem a little tone deaf to me. But then again, I'm weird :p
I actually love the idea of a new planet. The strength of the original Star Tours was that while it used familiar characters and elements, it focused a lot on expanding the Star Wars setting into new places. Also, the fact the Imagineers managed to convince Bob they could create an entirely new Star Wars setting instead of just pooping out Tatooine or something is really impressive in this day and age. We're getting an IP land that's a unique experience with familiar elements.

ChrisI

Hi Guys and Gals,

Maybe I misheard but didn't someone, somewhere say that this picture was not going to be the actual ride but more of a set piece where characters would be going in and out of the ship? The actual ride itself will just be a regular show building on the outside with the theming inside? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard that. Maybe Jason Ward on MSW?
Star-Wars-Land_Full_26848.jpg

FigmentJedi

Hi Guys and Gals,

Maybe I misheard but didn't someone, somewhere say that this picture was not going to be the actual ride but more of a set piece where characters would be going in and out of the ship? The actual ride itself will just be a regular show building on the outside with the theming inside? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard that. Maybe Jason Ward on MSW?
Yeah, it's an old fashioned vehicle facade bait and switch similar to Paris and Tokyo's Nautilus-based attractions.

Phicinfan

okay I think this is going to be awesome, my question is this, is it ONLY Disneyland that is getting the space mountain redo to Hyperspace Mountain?

I would assume yes, as Space mountain in WDW is at MK not DHS....but dang would love to see both redone an refit.

FigmentJedi

okay I think this is going to be awesome, my question is this, is it ONLY Disneyland that is getting the space mountain redo to Hyperspace Mountain?

I would assume yes, as Space mountain in WDW is at MK not DHS....but dang would love to see both redone an refit.
Correct. WDW's Space Mountain doesn't have any of the special additions to the show infrastructure that allows Disneyland to do its overlays.

twebber55

Hi Guys and Gals,

im really interested in the size and scope of this project
how tall will this land get to? Gotta think based on the concept art you re looking at 100' or so

tl77

So is the Millennium Falcon ride a replacement for Star Tours? because it looks like C3PO in the pilot's seat of this as well
Star-Wars-Land_Full_26850.jpg

flyerjab

tallest point 143'
the main show building is roughly 80'

One of things that I know has probably kept most structures below 200' is the fact that you would have to put a light on the top for air traffic reasons. I believe that EE tops out at 199'? What I have always thought with the new Star Wars land is that you wouldn't need to cap off structures at 199' because lights would not necessarily be out of place at a land that is part space port. Maybe, if they are actually building those rather bizarre rock-like formations that appear to have structures/buildings built into them, they could actually exceed 200' but not worry about required lights being out of place. 200' would be crazy tall but maybe it would be a possibility. They certainly have not been holding back on extensive theming of late (Cars Land, Pandora, even NFL has some great theming).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom