Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

KingOfEpicocity

Now we are quoting space balls.

latest

Next thing we know universal will counter with a "Space Balls experience"

G WDW

Anyone else upset by the fact that it looks like the Falcon ride will be mainly screens? I was really hoping for practical effects, like the real thing. Whizzing past real stars in a life-sized, real Millennium Falcon that comes with a real Wookie on board(not animatronics, but an actual Wookie) sounds like it would be awesome. I was also hoping to be able to shoot at life-sized TIE fighters with real imperial pilots that would blow up into a fiery blaze when we would hit them with real lasers. A few screens are totally going to ruin this 14 acre, extensively themed land with two brand new rides and tons of other entertainment/food. Goes to show how the park is going downhill and WDW doesn't care anymore.

(For those that can't tell, this is sarcasm. I'm incredibly excited for everything to come at WDW, specifically Pandora and SWL. Now we just need an extensive EPCOT re-do. (A frontierland expansion would be pretty awesome as well)) We should all go into these renovations and new lands with open minds, and hope for the best. There will always be something to complain about, but I think that for the most part, everything happening at WDW in the next few years looks incredibly promising. :happy:

SCOTLORR

Anyone else upset by the fact that it looks like the Falcon ride will be mainly screens? I was really hoping for practical effects, like the real thing. Whizzing past real stars in a life-sized, real Millennium Falcon that comes with a real Wookie on board(not animatronics, but an actual Wookie) sounds like it would be awesome. I was also hoping to be able to shoot at life-sized TIE fighters with real imperial pilots that would blow up into a fiery blaze when we would hit them with real lasers. A few screens are totally going to ruin this 14 acre, extensively themed land with two brand new rides and tons of other entertainment/food. Goes to show how the park is going downhill and WDW doesn't care anymore.

(For those that can't tell, this is sarcasm. I'm incredibly excited for everything to come at WDW, specifically Pandora and SWL. Now we just need an extensive EPCOT re-do. (A frontierland expansion would be pretty awesome as well)) We should all go into these renovations and new lands with open minds, and hope for the best. There will always be something to complain about, but I think that for the most part, everything happening at WDW in the next few years looks incredibly promising. :happy:
I was scared you were serious for a moment there lol.

KingOfEpicocity

What really bothers me i where EPCOT is going. Theres been a spark in people who are interested in the old EPCOT ideals. I know it has a tiny chance of being redeemed and it has the potential to be amazing. Lets hope frozen is only temporary until they do a major overhaul like DHS or DCA...

jt04

What really bothers me i where EPCOT is going. Theres been a spark in people who are interested in the old EPCOT ideals. I know it has a tiny chance of being redeemed and it has the potential to be amazing. Lets hope frozen is only temporary until they do a major overhaul like DHS or DCA...

Seems like they decided DAK and DHS were more in need. Plus they are the furthest from the MK making park hoping the most difficult in the eyes of guests. I will always believe that was a factor.

Anyway, Epcot will have its day. Give them time to get this right first.

KingOfEpicocity

Seems like they decided DAK and DHS were more in need. Plus they are the furthest from the MK making park hoping the most difficult in the eyes of guests. I will always believe that was a factor.

Well thats what i mean. frozen and soarin will hold it over until DHS and DAK are done. thats when i hope they overhaul the whole park.

ANd i would love to see Dino and Everest get a much needed refurb while epcot is under wraps maybe?

Chris82

Lots and lots and lots of time :p

doctornick

In your blog post, you say "Also shown was the Millennium Falcon walkthrough, the cantina, a street market, and a dinner club dining experience." Can you expand on the "Millennium Falcon walkthrough"? Is that supposed to be the queue for the Millennium Falcon ride? Or is it a separate attraction (there were rumors of such an attraction previously, perhaps with a M&G with Chewie in the cockpit)?

I'm curious, because it would seem difficult to execute things well to have guests walk through the MF in one location and have a ride piloting the vehicle at another location. Unless maybe they are intertwined somehow.

doctornick

I'm not sure if it's been said anywhere on here, but I am expecting that you will personally pilot the Millennium Falcon like you personally pilot the spaceships to Mars on Mission: Space. Each rider may have individual controls that ultimately don't do much, or this attraction may have more of an interactive shooter aspect like Midway Mania, or maybe even like the Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer Gold attraction at DisneyQuest.

I'm thinking there will be actual control over the movement, unlike M:S though it might relatively limited. But at least something akin to how you can move your vehicle in Buzz Lightyear.

doctornick

Yeah, I'm aware that this puts me in the minority, but I was never a fan of the "generic planet" idea for the land. It solves a few problems, for sure, but at the cost of feeling very bland and not particularly Star Wars-y. I would've set it in a space station, like an orbital rebel base or something (maybe based off X-Wing vs TIE Fighter :D). After all, one of the keywords in "Star Wars" is "Star." There's a reason every movie opens with a starfield.

I think a space station would be far more bland and less interesting. It also provides less opportunity for "authentic" theming when it comes to food and merch.

I actually think that the various planets and their nuances are a far more interesting aspect of SW than any space station. To me, the question really is one of multiple planets versus one (I think they made the right call there) and do you use an established planet versus a new one (I would lean to the former but willing to see how they execute it in the end).

The choice of attractions has also been curious to me. For me, the central fantasies in Star Wars involve (1) being a Jedi and (2) piloting an X-Wing. The Millenium Falcon is all right, I guess, but an order of magnitude less cool than an 1- or 2-man starfighter. And there seems to be a decided lack of lightsabers and Force powers in the concepts presented thus far. While Universal seems to get the basic fantasy of Harry Potter reasonably well (wands! butterbeer!), Disney's Star Wars concepts seem a little tone deaf to me. But then again, I'm weird :p

I definitely disagree about your choice of ships -- yes, being in an X-Wing would be cool and appropriate, but being inside and piloting the Millennium Falcon is probably the most quintessential thing to do in Star Wars. Even moreso with bringing thew old girl back for the new trilogy. Especially since we only ever see one Millennium Falcon but we see multiple different/variant X-Wings.

As for the Force/Jedi stuff, I agree with you that it will be important, but there are indications of an indoor (and hopefully upgraded) Jedi Training show. Plus there's been hints of being able to "use the Force" inside the land, presumably in a way similar to the HP wands to case spells.

No Name

You sure?

Oh if it's not a simulator and actually has forward movement, that totally changes my opinion on the whole thing. I love Forbidden Journey, and a combination of screens and real scenes like that would be welcomed by me. But I find that hard to believe, it looks like the front and top of each vehicle is a screen itself. Then again I'm just guessing.

While I want you to be correct here and would be pleasantly surprised if you were, I'm thinking Ignohippo is right. What I do know is that one of you will be right and the other will be wrong when all is said and done so yeah, I hate to sound all evil but the prospect of that excites me. :D

KingOfEpicocity

Oh if it's not a simulator and actually has forward movement, that totally changes my opinion on the whole thing. I love Forbidden Journey, and a combination of screens and real scenes like that would be welcomed by me. But I find that hard to believe, it looks like the front and top of each vehicle is a screen itself. Then again I'm just guessing.

While I want you to be correct here and would be pleasantly surprised if you were, I'm thinking Ignohippo is right. What I do know is that one of you will be right and the other will be wrong when all is said and done so yeah, I hate to sound all evil but the prospect of that excites me. :D

My real wish is no screens! every time i went to a screen im taken out of a ride honestly...

Sped2424

I think the most interesting thing about this however is the amount of performers that are going to have to be in the area. They said you'll literally walk into the films in terms of aliens both hosting and greeting you on the streets and in restaurants/merchandise. If they cut the budget for entertainment now I can't even begin to think how costly this one land is going to be performer wise.

Sped2424

We were shown only about a couple of seconds of footage. It's like if they only teased forbidden journey with the scene in which you find harry on his broomstick! Marnie among other insiders have been saying for some time that this is very much forbidden journey with projections mixed with physical effects/sets.

KingOfEpicocity

We were shown only about a couple of seconds of footage. It's like if they only teased forbidden journey with the scene in which you find harry on his broomstick! Marnie among other insiders have been saying for some time that this is very much forbidden journey with projections mixed with physical effects/sets.

I really wish people would consider this its own thing without always comparing it to harry potter :grumpy:

Sped2424

I really wish people would consider this its own thing without always comparing it to harry potter :grumpy:
It's the ride system/experience that is being compared so that others can understand how the ride will be without having to over explain things. I don't see an issue with making the concept of this ride more accessible to others by using this comparison.

KingOfEpicocity

It's the ride system/experience that is being compared so that others can understand how the ride will be without having to over explain things. I don't see an issue with making the concept of this ride more accessible to others by using this comparison.

i foresee many people comparing these negatively in the future...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom