Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

RSoxNo1

djkidkaz

I know most of have seen this, but this article from 2012 about possible Star Wars attractions is excellent:
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2012/11/lets-talk-about-star-wars-rides-concepts.html

It includes a concept not designed by WDI, but in theory could meet the description given by Bob Iger at D23: "Epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance"

That sounds awesome!! But I'm fully expecting that the new ride will basically be very similar to Spider-Man at UNI considering who is overseeing this project.

Sped2424

Don't know if this has been discussed but I am sure this is obvious to many of you. I heard recently that Ray, Finn, And BB-8 shall be making appearances soon (early 2016) at the studios in some capacity. Not sure if this means meet and greets or them introducing fireworks at night. Either way sounds fun.

roj2323

possible wall locations as of the 4th. The wall by Toy Story could very well be going up by studio catering company as well but somehow I doubt it.

walls.jpg

ToTBellHop

I would think they would want to keep at least two paths open to that area. I think having a single path, especially if it was the Pixar place path, would cause traffic problems.
Agreed. I think they are more likely to go the route of having narrowed walkways. Could be wrong though. Depends on how much space they need for their own access.

dreamscometrue

So, are the 2 rides thought to be as follows...

1. Millennium Falcon ride...KUKA arm vehicles on a track with individual screens for each vehicle? (EDIT: See posts below for correction of this information, from more informed members lol)
2. Stormtrooper Chase... "autonomous trackless vehicles and nearly every other techno marvel WDI can throw at it."(http://micechat.com/116178-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-star-wars/)?

If so, these both sound really great. The other important thing for me however, is how an immersive land is an attraction in and of itself. I love rides, and obviously you need them in a theme park, but I get as much enjoyment from exploring a themed land, and a well themed queue. If you've visited Carsland and/or Diagon Alley, you've been immersed in arguably the best theme park environments, but I even enjoy great theming on a smaller scale...walking around 'Fantasyland Forest', riding Kilimanjaro Safari, sitting in Harambe Market as the train passes, the queue for Tower of Terror, etc. I fully expect that both Pandora and Star Wars Land will be top tier immersive environments, on the same level as Carsland or Diagon Alley. I'm super excited for both these lands...and actually for Toy Story Land as well. :)

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So, are the 2 rides thought to be as follows...

1. Millennium Falcon ride...KUKA arm vehicles on a track with individual screens for each vehicle?
2. Stormtrooper Chase... "autonomous trackless vehicles and nearly every other techno marvel WDI can throw at it."(http://micechat.com/116178-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-star-wars/)?

If so, these both sound really great. The other important thing for me however, is how an immersive land is an attraction in and of itself. I love rides, and obviously you need them in a theme park, but I get as much enjoyment from exploring a themed land, and a well themed queue. If you've visited Carsland and/or Diagon Alley, you've been immersed in arguably the best theme park environments, but I even enjoy great theming on a smaller scale...walking around 'Fantasyland Forest', riding Kilimanjaro Safari, sitting in Harambe Market as the train passes, the queue for Tower of Terror, etc. I fully expect that both Pandora and Star Wars Land will be top tier immersive environments, on the same level as Carsland or Diagon Alley. I'm super excited for both these lands...and actually for Toy Story Land as well. :)

Where did the Kuka arm idea come from? I know the Screamscape article compared it to Forbidden Journey in that the vehicles would enter individual projection domes, but they did not say anything about the use of arms.

dreamscometrue

Where did the Kuka arm idea come from? I know the Screamscape article compared it to Forbidden Journey in that the vehicles would enter individual projection domes, but they did not say anything about the use of arms.
I honestly can't remember where I read it recently...but I'm going to go looking. I don't know how valid a rumor that is, but I saw it somewhere. Now, to find where so I can cite it. :)

dreamscometrue

The article doesn't state KUKA, so that 'brand' was an assumption I made. Here's what it does suggest...

"From what we've heard so far, imagine a ride experience that combines elements from Star Tours and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. You ride aboard a spaceship that moves with multiple degrees of freedom (like on Star Tours), however, you will be in smaller ride vehicles that are each matched with its own domed projection screen as the vehicle and screen move in tandem on a ride track (like on Forbidden Journey). The spaceship in question will be the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, and the action on the screen will change in response to your actions in flying the ship. (Another analogy might be a plussed-up version of Mission: Space — without the claustrophobia triggers and zero-G nausea.)"

Source: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201512/4889/

Thoughts?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The article doesn't state KUKA, so that 'brand' was an assumption I made. Here's what it does suggest...

"From what we've heard so far, imagine a ride experience that combines elements from Star Tours and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. You ride aboard a spaceship that moves with multiple degrees of freedom (like on Star Tours), however, you will be in smaller ride vehicles that are each matched with its own domed projection screen as the vehicle and screen move in tandem on a ride track (like on Forbidden Journey). The spaceship in question will be the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, and the action on the screen will change in response to your actions in flying the ship. (Another analogy might be a plussed-up version of Mission: Space — without the claustrophobia triggers and zero-G nausea.)"

Source: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201512/4889/

Thoughts?

I still don't draw the conclusion from that, that it is an arm based attraction, Kuka or otherwise. There are a lot of ride systems that do multiple degrees of freedom without using an arm.

JediMasterMatt

Nope. Domed or moving screens aren't Kuka dependent.

I expect the real ride system tech to be used for the main LPS E Ticket. Not that the Falcon won't be impressive, though it'll be more akin to a track based EMV base.

I also think the real exciting "ride" will be the Adventure/Resistance/Battle one. The Falcon's ride will be an outstanding simulator attraction; but, still just a simulator. The queue for it though... I don't know how they are going to pull that one off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom